new Dogtown movie and new movies in general

2»

Comments

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Anyone like the "Endless Summer" surf movies?
    Some of the footage is amazing, some great places there i'd love to visit...but some of the set up/acting type bits in Endless Summer 2 cracked me up.... that blonde kid hahahaha

Endless summer 1 & 2 are off the hook. Loved both of those movies and I have watched 'em multiple times. When the guys were in South Africa in part 2 and were driving that little dune buggy and those lions tore it apart, CRAZY! I need to see if both of those joints are on DVD.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

I have said it before here and everyone ignored me, and I will say it again even though most of you have probably heard by now... Star Wars is about to own all your asses. Yesterday I talked to a dude who knew nothing about SW (thought they were based on books) who saw it and said he cried. I'm pretty sure half the pathos comes from realizing that the most lucid and cutting take on our dying civilization is to be found in a big campy comic book of a summer action movie. Mark my words, this movie WILL melt your face, and not just because of the flashing lights and loud noises.

Man, I hope you're right, cause you totally sold me with that paragraph right there. Bravo.

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    Some of the footage is amazing, some great places there i'd love to visit...but some of the set up/acting type bits in Endless Summer 2 cracked me up.... that blonde kid hahahaha

Endless summer 1 & 2 are off the hook. Loved both of those movies and I have watched 'em multiple times. When the guys were in South Africa in part 2 and were driving that little dune buggy and those lions tore it apart, CRAZY! I need to see if both of those joints are on DVD.

co-co-co-co-sign. I absolutely love Endless Summer 1 - it's just such a feel-good movie.. it's Bruce Brown's laidback commentary that clinches it for me... "there's Robert August... getting a great ride". Endless Summer 2 wasn't as good, just because it's a bit more about the surfing skill, while #1 seemed to be just more about having fun.

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts

is it really that fuckin hard to write "spoiler" BEFORE the fuckin paragraph

easy there tough guys. sorry to ruin a movie you probably won't see. it really won't affect what you get from the movie if you do see it.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts

is it really that fuckin hard to write "spoiler" BEFORE the fuckin paragraph

easy there tough guys. sorry to ruin a movie you probably won't see. it really won't affect what you get from the movie if you do see it.

haha sorry man that's just a pet peeve, I aint mad or nothin. And I probably will see it.

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    cool. well, sorry to ruin that bit but it really shouldn't affect your experience...i do recommend seeing it.

• phono13phono13 842 Posts

co-co-co-co-sign. I absolutely love Endless Summer 1 - it's just such a feel-good movie.. it's Bruce Brown's laidback commentary that clinches it for me... "there's Robert August... getting a great ride". Endless Summer 2 wasn't as good, just because it's a bit more about the surfing skill, while #1 seemed to be just more about having fun.

You Endless Summer fans would really enjoy Thomas Campbell's "Sprout." My favorite surfing movie hands down. It's visually amazing. All shot in 16mm. Pretty much everyone on this forum would dig the soundtrack. Anyway, it projects a great vibe on surfing and why people pursue it without sounding egotistical. 90 minutes too. Pick it up at your local shop or on the www.

Recommended.

• I have said it before here and everyone ignored me, and I will say it again even though most of you have probably heard by now... Star Wars is about to own all your asses. Yesterday I talked to a dude who knew nothing about SW (thought they were based on books) who saw it and said he cried. I'm pretty sure half the pathos comes from realizing that the most lucid and cutting take on our dying civilization is to be found in a big campy comic book of a summer action movie. Mark my words, this movie WILL melt your face, and not just because of the flashing lights and loud noises.

Man, I hope you're right, cause you totally sold me with that paragraph right there. Bravo.

no kidding...

I'm a huge Star Wars fan, and I'm fighting as hard as I can to not get "too" excited about this movie, out of fear that I might be let down the way I was about the last two...

I'm feeling the force now... (and feels like my ass is on its way to get owned)

• Couple weeks ago I saw It's All Gone Pete Tong. About a superstar dj who goes deaf. The lamest part of the movie is the attempt to pass it off as a true story. The best part is; his cocaine addiction is portrayed by a guy in a panda (or badger or something) suit with a snotty nose.

Saw this last night. I thought it was fucking hilarious.

But yeah, that coke drooling teddy bear thing was pretty weird. And way too reminiscent of the rabbit dude in Donny Darko.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Longtime fan as well. I haven't seen a surf film in a theater in a longtime, and sadly the last one I remember going to was fricken North Shore. To be honest, anything is better than In God's Hands[/b].

But yeah, there's Riding Giants as well as Step Into Liquid, those were the two big films that managed to crack the mainstream market by surprise.

By the way, John, been traveling, but I got your Surf DVDs the other day! THANKS!!! Your stuff will be hitting the postal waves this week.

And yes...avoid "In God's hands"...this movie was ASS.

Endless Summer 1&2 are both classics of the genre. I also recommend "Morning of the Earth".

• bonzaisk8bonzaisk8 946 Posts
    the best surf flick for me has to be this movie called sprout that was in 2004 RES Fest. Anyone see this? Real artistic and (mostly) stayed away from the bs surfer stereostypes.

some info:

New Movie from Thomas Campbell and the Moonshine Conspiracy, Sprout. The modus operandi of the Sprout is to show the surfing culture how truly lucky we are to live in the lush life of the ocean experience, and emphasize all the diverse possibilities we have in accessing this fountain of youth. Riding eggs, fishes, traditional sytle longboards and the modern shorty. Every wave is a new possiblity. Shot entirely on 16mm film featuring Joel Tudor, Dan Malloy, Kassia Meador, Skip Frye, Devon Howard, Jimmy Gamboa, Ozzy Wright, Gerry Lopez, Tom Wegner, Kelly Slater Dane Peterson, Belinda Baggs, Alex Knost, Rob Machado, Belen, CJ Nelson, Maureen Drummy, Rasta, and others. Shot on location in Sri Lanka, Morocco, Costa Rica, Indonesia, California, Hawaii, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, and Mexico.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    the best surf flick for me has to be this movie called sprout that was in 2004 RES Fest. Anyone see this? Real artistic and (mostly) stayed away from the bs surfer stereostypes.

some info:

New Movie from Thomas Campbell and the Moonshine Conspiracy, Sprout. The modus operandi of the Sprout is to show the surfing culture how truly lucky we are to live in the lush life of the ocean experience, and emphasize all the diverse possibilities we have in accessing this fountain of youth. Riding eggs, fishes, traditional sytle longboards and the modern shorty. Every wave is a new possiblity. Shot entirely on 16mm film featuring Joel Tudor, Dan Malloy, Kassia Meador, Skip Frye, Devon Howard, Jimmy Gamboa, Ozzy Wright, Gerry Lopez, Tom Wegner, Kelly Slater Dane Peterson, Belinda Baggs, Alex Knost, Rob Machado, Belen, CJ Nelson, Maureen Drummy, Rasta, and others. Shot on location in Sri Lanka, Morocco, Costa Rica, Indonesia, California, Hawaii, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, and Mexico.

still looking for Sprout and The Seedling.

my faves are the old ones like Morning of the Earth ,Five Summer Stories and Crystal Voyager(George Greenough is a personal hero of mine), but I am liking the new ones (like the description of Sprout above) that go after that 70s surf flick paradigm and focus on the visuals and the timeless beauty of what these cats are doing, with a simple soundtrack and well chosen, sparse narration. Flicks like Jack Johnson's Thicker than Water and September Sessions are surprisingly excellent visually as well as benefitting from performance footage of Kelly Slater and Rob Machado doing their best soul surfing thing.

• soulrezsoulrez 565 Posts
    for those interested in a chunk of some real history on DT

peep my man sh*un's site

EXCEL HOMEPAGE

EXCEL13

these are the dudes metallica ripped off one of their biggest hits from...

billy yeron getting up on the first marina del rey skatepark team van.

photo: sh*un 1979

You Endless Summer fans would really enjoy Thomas Campbell's "Sprout." My favorite surfing movie hands down. It's visually amazing. All shot in 16mm. Pretty much everyone on this forum would dig the soundtrack. Anyway, it projects a great vibe on surfing and why people pursue it without sounding egotistical. 90 minutes too. Pick it up at your local shop or on the www.

Recommended.

I beat you to it.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    Anyone dying to see any of these?

Chronicles of Narnia [/b]

i used to love all of these books. i hope the movies are good.

some info:

still looking for Sprout and The Seedling.

Where are you? They're readily available in shops around here. I just picked up seedling, but have only watched the special features. Let me know if you want me to grab'em for you. Sorry, I don't have a DVD-R.

Transworld Surf Magazine (Current Orange cover) has a nice article/interview on Sprout with T. Campbell. Lots of good pics.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    wuzzzzzup. i didnt read any of this but the other night i was really stoned and i was watching the tv and the commercial for that new wonka movie came on and i was like "eh, this looks lame" and then i saw the fat kid fall into the chocolate river and i was all like "eh, this looks lame" and then i saw all them oompa loompa midgets except they werent even real midgets and instead tim burton just used regular sized people and did some camera effect to make them look small and i was thinking how this takes money out of the pockets of midgets and i was like "eh, this looks lame" and then they showed the credits which was lame up until the fact where they said "showing in theatres and on IMAX" and then i was all like "hmm, this might be cool if i was high".

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    wuzzzzzup. i didnt read any of this but the other night i was really stoned and i was watching the tv and the commercial for that new wonka movie came on and i was like "eh, this looks lame" and then i saw the fat kid fall into the chocolate river and i was all like "eh, this looks lame" and then i saw all them oompa loompa midgets except they werent even real midgets and instead tim burton just used regular sized people and did some camera effect to make them look small and i was thinking how this takes money out of the pockets of midgets and i was like "eh, this looks lame" and then they showed the credits which was lame up until the fact where they said "showing in theatres and on IMAX" and then i was all like "hmm, this might be cool if i was high".

man, fuck the new wonka movie. how you gonna remake a movie that was on point the first time? i even like all the songs and shit in that first one. absolute classic. gene wilder in form top. scratch that, reverse it.

• funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts

Are you running for king of the midgets or something??? I always wondered if there was some kind of midget lobbying group that pressured production companies to make midget-heavy fare like Lord of the Rings and Willow.

• When I went to the movies the other night I was totally bugged out by the previews.

How many fucking stupid ass Pixar children's movies can they come up with?

There were 3 new ones, and all of them were absolute crap. Especially this one with this huge all-star cast. Retarded.

It made me think about how much money is spent to make these piece of shit movies. I guess they're guaranteed successes.. as soon as they come out all the kids have to see it and the parents have no choice but to buy the DVD, the stuffed animals and all that crap.

• bonzaisk8bonzaisk8 946 Posts

Recommended.

I beat you to it.

damn sam. didn't even see that you posted that already. big up yourself!

can never keep up with the speed of this site.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

I have said it before here and everyone ignored me, and I will say it again even though most of you have probably heard by now... Star Wars is about to own all your asses. Yesterday I talked to a dude who knew nothing about SW (thought they were based on books) who saw it and said he cried. I'm pretty sure half the pathos comes from realizing that the most lucid and cutting take on our dying civilization is to be found in a big campy comic book of a summer action movie. Mark my words, this movie WILL melt your face, and not just because of the flashing lights and loud noises.

no kidding...

I'm a huge Star Wars fan, and I'm fighting as hard as I can to not get "too" excited about this movie, out of fear that I might be let down the way I was about the last two...

I'm feeling the force now... (and feels like my ass is on its way to get owned)

oh my god. I gotta go see star wars again on IMAX!!

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Palindrome was the biggest disappointment I've seen from Todd Solondz. I hate when dudes make some stupid "artsy" move for no reason whatsoever. Storyline was weak too.
    Really dissapointing since I've loved everything else he has done.

(Spoilers in here)

Saw it last night. Thought it was the least artsy of his movies, though not necessarily the most accessible, as I???ve heard some critics refer to it as that. Using different actresses for the same character was a great way to make the viewer look at the same story from different angles. Solondz handles sexuality in young people really well and I think it was true for this film, too. Aviva's sexual experiences were never gratuitous and the scenes were pretty realistic and respectful. I have to disagree that parents forcing their daughter (who wants nothing more in the world than to be a mother) to get an abortion, her running away, being taken in by hardcore religious folks who take pictures of her privates when she???s passed out and then murder a doctor who performs abortions as a weak storyline!
    One of my favourite things about Solondz???s films is that people look like real people - more so when he???s not using famous people.
    We talked about this movie the whole night, which is always a good sign. I thought it was great.