instrumental more popular than the vocal version?

akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
i dont know the history of the track or anything, but i always thought it was strange that "The Horse" was 10000% more popular than "Love is All Right"are there any other cases where the instrumental version of a song was more popular than the vocal version, or was this a one time deal?

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Soulful Strut

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    Jazz standards like 'Take Five'

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    i dont know the history of the track or anything, but i always thought it was strange that "The Horse" was 10000% more popular than "Love is All Right"

are there any other cases where the instrumental version of a song was more popular than the vocal version, or was this a one time deal?

Francine McGee's "Delirium", which was the instrumental version of her "Feeling Good".

Take Five had a vocal version?

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

I think that might have come later - someone like Lambert Hendricks & Ross, maybe? It's not uncommon to have lyrics written for something that started life as a straight instrumental.

• Swedish singer Monica Zetterlund did a great version of "take five". Awesome really...

Dress

• Soulful Strut

yup...the the vocal version is

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Soulful Strut

Vs. the Barbara Acklin original? You're tripping dude. The instrumental had more legs in the long run (i.e. covered by more groups) but Acklin's vocals are unfuckwittable.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    i dont know the history of the track or anything, but i always thought it was strange that "The Horse" was 10000% more popular than "Love is All Right"

Especially since Cliff Nobles, from all reports, didn't play an instrument, so at live shows he had to do the Horse dance while the band played.

are there any other cases where the instrumental version of a song was more popular than the vocal version, or was this a one time deal?

"Rock & Roll - Part 2" Gary Glitter
    "It's The Real Thing - Part 1" Electric Express

• "Tried By 12."

Go ahead and try to defend the rhymes. I'll wait.

• Soulful Strut

Vs. the Barbara Acklin original? You're tripping dude. The instrumental had more legs in the long run (i.e. covered by more groups) but Acklin's vocals are unfuckwittable.

the subject is "more popular" not better....i think everyone agrees that the vocal version is dope

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Swedish singer Monica Zetterlund did a great version of "take five". Awesome really...

I thought he meant instrumental versions of vocals done to the exact same backing track...

I did as well, which would severely limit it to Soulful Strut and a few other tunes escaping me at the moment.

BTW Do You Think I'm Sexy by Rod Stewart is a ripoff of a Bobby Womack tune (backing track). Fucker.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    BTW Do You Think I'm Sexy by Rod Stewart is a ripoff of a Bobby Womack tune (backing track). Fucker.

I thought it was a ripoff of a Jorge Ben tune?!?

Everyone's a bastard.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    "Tried By 12."

Go ahead and try to defend the rhymes. I'll wait.

Dude. You also are tripping.

I don't need to defend shit; these speak for themselves.

Don't say sticks and stones
    They might break your bones
    But the nine millimeter, it'll bore your dome
    I'm talkin about the toe-taggin
    Huh, the body-baggin
    Man, niggas are dyin, huh, mommas are cryin, casket buyin
    Who, me dyin, leave my family cryin?
    Hell no, I cause, um, bloodbaths and showers
    Send me commissary, motherf**k them flowers
    Thoughts of slaughter, of leaving my daughters
    Hours and hours of fears running through my mind
    As I pick up the Zig 9
    Beef starts with the shove and ends with the shovel
    And niggas standing on your corner reminiscing of you
    But your ass is out and you're dead and gone
    So who'd you rather be?
    The murdered, or the murderer?
    Niggas got me stressed - I got my Tek and my vest
    And I sing who Jah bless, let no man curse
    Or one of us will leave here tonight in a hearse[/b]
    For we'll be tried by 12
    And fertilizing daisies
    Crying mommas and cousins and crying babies
    Due to the fact that death is a must
    Ashes to ashes and dust to dust
    Niggas getting bust
    For in God we trust
    So if you're comin to my town and try to slow the dough down
    You must be casket-bound
    Cause I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6
    Nigga
    I sign my name on the book at your funeral
    The Zig's on my hip with an extra clip
    La-di-da-di
    Saturday night and we like to party
    The punks are f**king around so we might catch a body
    Early Sunday morning, don't really wanna hurt nobody
    So what they tryin to get?
    I already got it
    Chump motherf**kers just a-schemin on my sh*t
    But little do they know I got the Zig on my hip with an extra clip
    And I'd rather be tried by 12 than carried by 6
    Aw sh*t - murder commit
    And there goes another statistic runnin' through ballistic
    The witness say I'm wicked
    But that's how I kick it
    Cause I'll be the bastard who blasts and didn't get blasted
    Boy kiss dem casket
    I cut your wig back kid
    Sucker, look who died
    Body will be identified
    Momma and poppa will cry, b*tch-ass man says he'll testify
    To see me tried, but here's I slide (?)
    Upon the same corner that you did
    And I'm still facing a bid
    Nigga
    I sign my name at the book at your funeral
    The Zig's on my hip with an extra clip

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Tried by 12 is the shit. I met them dudes in The Gap in Philly once.

As for Instrumentals that are more popular than the vocals I would have to say MotherFuckingSonofaBitch "Love Is The Message" AKA that REAL BROOKLYN STICK-UP MUSIC.

Also right here goes the "YA HEARD" graemlin.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Soulful Strut

the subject is "more popular" not better....i think everyone agrees that the vocal version is dope

I actually would wager that the vocal is more popular... despite the many instrumental covers of the tune, as far as radio play goes in my experience the vocal got more. At least, on the oldies shows I grew up listening to that was the version that got played.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    not knocking the vocals, but i could listen to the instrumental of Outkast's "SpottieOttieDopalicious" all day.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

Carmen McCrae did a vocal version w/ Brubeck himself.

Little Royal - "Razor Blade"

Soulful Strut

I actually would wager that the vocal is more popular... despite the many instrumental covers of the tune, as far as radio play goes in my experience the vocal got more. At least, on the oldies shows I grew up listening to that was the version that got played.

Soulful Strut inst is practically a standard, I've never even heard a vocal version

I think your oldies station was doing its own thing

• Soulful Strut

It must have been a local fave, because the Young/Holt record was Top 40 nationwide. 'Am I The Same Girl' only made the Top 40 in a few regional markets.

• Soulful Strut

It must have been a local fave, because the Young/Holt record was Top 40 nationwide. 'Am I The Same Girl' only made the Top 40 in a few regional markets.

Weren't there a number of songs that followed this format? Someone put lyrics to "Grazin' in the Grass," and "Mercy, Mercy, Mercy". I'd say those instros were more popular.

Weren't there a number of songs that followed this format? Someone put lyrics to "Grazin' in the Grass," and "Mercy, Mercy, Mercy". I'd say those instros were more popular.

Mercy was written with lyrics originally...

And I thought Grazin in the Grass was by 5th D originally and Masekela did the cover?? I nearly mentioned that right off but I wasn't sure which was more popular...

• Weren't there a number of songs that followed this format? Someone put lyrics to "Grazin' in the Grass," and "Mercy, Mercy, Mercy". I'd say those instros were more popular.

Mercy was written with lyrics originally...

And I thought Grazin in the Grass was by 5th D originally and Masekela did the cover?? I nearly mentioned that right off but I wasn't sure which was more popular...

Original by Masekela, cover by the Friends of Distinction...

• schoggischoggi 298 Posts
    Lee Austin - Screwdriver / Clarence Reid - Miss Hot Stuff

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts

I was going to post this but I couldn't remember the name of the vocal version, I know I heard it on Finewine's show. Li'l help?

Lee Austin - Screwdriver / Clarence Reid - Miss Hot Stuff

oh shit! I didn't realize this.

I was going to post this but I couldn't remember the name of the vocal version, I know I heard it on Finewine's show. Li'l help?

Sebastian: Living in Depression

I've heard of at least 3 different issues of the 45