instrumental more popular than the vocal version?

2»

Comments

• Weren't there a number of songs that followed this format? Someone put lyrics to "Grazin' in the Grass," and "Mercy, Mercy, Mercy". I'd say those instros were more popular.

Mercy was written with lyrics originally...

And I thought Grazin in the Grass was by 5th D originally and Masekela did the cover?? I nearly mentioned that right off but I wasn't sure which was more popular...

Mercy Mercy Mercy was written as an instro by Joe Zawinul when he was with Cannonball Adderly. The lyrics were added by Johnny Guitar Watson (at least he's credited on the JGW/Larry Williams and Buckinghams versions).

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Soulful Strut

Vs. the Barbara Acklin original? You're tripping dude. The instrumental had more legs in the long run (i.e. covered by more groups) but Acklin's vocals are unfuckwittable.

the subject is "more popular" not better....i think everyone agrees that the vocal version is dope

I actually would wager that the vocal is more popular... despite the many instrumental covers of the tune, as far as radio play goes in my experience the vocal got more. At least, on the oldies shows I grew up listening to that was the version that got played.

It must have been a local fave, because the Young/Holt record was Top 40 nationwide. 'Am I The Same Girl' only made the Top 40 in a few regional markets.

Weren't there a number of songs that followed this format? Someone put lyrics to "Grazin' in the Grass," and "Mercy, Mercy, Mercy". I'd say those instros were more popular.

Yeah, but "Grazing In The Grass" and "Mercy x3" were done in totally different takes, not from a used backing track lying around (like "Am I The Same Girl"/"Soulful Strut").

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    galt macdermot coffee cold

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    galt macdermot coffee cold

Whats the vocal?

• aegisaegis 261 Posts
    Fables Of Faubus comes to mind.

Vocals are

• Fables Of Faubus comes to mind.

Vocals are

partial to the instro...

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Soulful Strut

Vs. the Barbara Acklin original? You're tripping dude. The instrumental had more legs in the long run (i.e. covered by more groups) but Acklin's vocals are unfuckwittable.

the subject is "more popular" not better....i think everyone agrees that the vocal version is dope

I actually would wager that the vocal is more popular... despite the many instrumental covers of the tune, as far as radio play goes in my experience the vocal got more. At least, on the oldies shows I grew up listening to that was the version that got played.

Soulful Strut inst is practically a standard, I've never even heard a vocal version

I think your oldies station was doing its own thing

[sense of revelation mixed with sarcasm] I actually wasn't alive when the record was charting [/sense]

but for real though, you're right. Just wanted to add that I heard the vocal version a lot, too.

(cue Pickwick33 telling me it didn't even chart in my market!)

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    900 Number Instrumental > anything with the vocals on it.