BMX BIKES [what's good related]

grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
im looking to buy a bmx bike so i can troll around koreatown and the outerlying communities. id prefer a 80s bmx bike without all the folding pegs and handlebars. just a straight ahead rear brake chrome bmx 20" or bigger on wires. haelp plaese!

Comments

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    hipster

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    hipster

oh, and i'll need a bungee cord to fasten my jnco hems so the crank dont eat em.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    hipster

oh, and i'll need a bungee cord to fasten my jnco hems so the crank dont eat em.

Further helpful tips available in this film:

This film's for the BMX bike racers of the world. A small town is out to raise funds by building a BMX racetrack and sponsoring a major race. They sponsor their own small-town hero Cru (Bill Allen) who's up against the big-monied sponsor's champion Bart Taylor (played by Olympic gymnast-turned-actor, Bart Thomas). Bart's the bad guy here, who doesn't play by the rules. The film's highlights are found in the stunt-filled race sequences, where the two duel it out on their high-flying two wheelers.

hipster

Further helpful tips available in this film:

This film's for the BMX bike racers of the world. A small town is out to raise funds by building a BMX racetrack and sponsoring a major race. They sponsor their own small-town hero Cru (Bill Allen) who's up against the big-monied sponsor's champion Bart Taylor (played by Olympic gymnast-turned-actor, Bart Thomas). Bart's the bad guy here, who doesn't play by the rules. The film's highlights are found in the stunt-filled race sequences, where the two duel it out on their high-flying two wheelers.

saw it on opening day. twice.

how about giving me some fair prices for bikes? im not looking to spend more on my bike than my jeans.

Me too... it fit in really well with my lifestyle at that time.

whoa. you went to fresno high?

• phono13phono13 842 Posts
    Shig,
    If you're looking for a BMX type bike, I'd look towards getting a 24" Cruiser. This will give you the same geometry, but with a little bit more height (comfort). As far as 80's/early 90's bikes, they're starting to get collectible, especially in Southern California. You may be able to come-up on a bike, but new set-ups aren't all that expensive.

Here's a cool 26" cruiser (mtn size wheels) that goes for about $350.00:

The Volume Sledgehammer is a 26" race-inspired BMX bike that's tailored for the older rider that still fancies jumping curbs while on the way to the liquor store, or the recent recipient of a DWI. The Sledgehammer features a chromoly mainframe, 3pc tubular cranks, a Euro B/B and V-brakes.

seriously, doggs. school me on BMX. last time i owned a bmx bike it was a diamonback silver streak. i wanted a kuwahara. do they even make them shits still?

No, but I had a BMX bike that I was really into "customizing"

Essentially, this consisted of removing the factory parts and replacing them with inferior used parts from a junkyard in the back of a local bike shop.

thanks man! i was hoping i could score a junky 1980s bmx for ~$100 though.

OR

if anyone knows where i can score a mamacherry style bike like them joints everyone in japan rides.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

If you're gonna go gearless, I prefer the neighborhood mainstay... the beach crusier. Cheap and practical (getta basket).

TRIPENDICULAR, BRAH![/b]

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I had a 1985 Haro Freestyler up until college when I ghost rid it off a cliff. It had the mushroom handle grips.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

you need to get one of these dogg

you need to get one of these dogg

sweeeet.

dang im looking at a site rite now on vintage bikes. i forgot how much of a boner i had for the hutch bikes too.

• dang im looking at a site rite now on vintage bikes. i forgot how much of a boner i had for the hutch bikes too.

Linkage plaese....

• This was my dream bike back in the day..

Remember that SE Racing bike with the crossed up frame?

This was my dream bike back in the day..

fucken pk rippers bro! with the flattened frames. i had a huffy that was a poor imitation of the pk rippers.

• BELIEVEBELIEVE 257 Posts
    It had the mushroom handle grips.

never was a mushroom fan, i preferred oakleys

pegs though, gotta have pegs!

• This was my dream bike back in the day..

fucken pk rippers bro! with the flattened frames. i had a huffy that was a poor imitation of the pk rippers.

The Quad Angle.....

whoa. never seen that before.

anyways, how about a price check. how much are these shits worth nowadays?

At one point, I had the same Hutch Exel (in neon pinkish red) that's pic'd below:

http://www.hutch-bikes.com/index.htm

www.vintageBMX.com

sick. did you have the hot pink checkerboard pads too? i really dug all their, um, "accessories".

• saw it on opening day. twice.

No, but I had a BMX bike that I was really into "customizing"

[questionable]Necessary[/questionable] accessories that I had at the time:

ATI Grips with a donut on the brake lever side (no blisters plaese)
    Dice Valve Caps
    "Roll-On" rear pegs (the ones that look like a stick of deodorant)
    Flip-down pegs in the front
    Skyway mags were a nice touch
    ACS Rotor
    Flite brand pads

As a skinny kid, I quickly realized that having a 40 pound bike wasn't functional.

nice!

it was a status symbol to rock the chrome hexagonal valve caps that could be found on most clovis PD cars.

man, the hutch pads were some super girlie shit that i LOVED. people around here wear fans with the same pattern nowadays. anyways, i was on that vintage bikes and i just saw a CW bike. fuck dude i havent thought about bikes for hecka long.

keep hitting those thrifts... you'll find one!