What do you poptarts think of this list?

Comments

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts

GURU is not top 10, simple and plain.

#1 smoothest rapping voice though....followed closely by q-tip.

people not like gangstarr??? they made good music for over a decade.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Kool Keith should be on any top-ten lists for MCs.
    He is to this list as Robin Trower is to Greatest Guitarist lists. Overtalented, underappreciated and quite possibly slightly mentally challenged.

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    lord finesse should also get an honorable mention imo.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    He is to this list as Robin Trower is to Greatest Guitarist lists. Overtalented, underappreciated and quite possibly slightly mentally challenged.

Well said, Kool Keith has always been a favorite and should be on the top ten list.

Big Pun? Big L maybe.

I have no problems with Ghost, G. Rap, Scarface and Snoop.

And where's E-40 at?

Big Pun would shit on Snoop. Compare his verse in the remake of Deep Cover to Snoop's in the OG.

Word. Finesse should have been on the top ten list. No more honorable mention shit. Take Eminem off the list and put Finesse.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Word. Finesse should have been on the top ten list. No more honorable mention shit. Take Eminem off the list and put Finesse.

Dudes, please be serious. Finesse is a dope artist, but there are dozens of others that occupy the same echelon.

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts

GURU is not top 10, simple and plain.

#1 smoothest rapping voice though....followed closely by q-tip.

people not like gangstarr??? they made good music for over a decade.

dont think thats what people are sayin, they just dislike him as an mc. gangstar made great albums. same thing with lauryn and the fugees.

Big Pun? Big L maybe.

And where's E-40 at?

Big Pun would shit on Snoop. Compare his verse in the remake of Deep Cover to Snoop's in the OG.

Big Pun = totally over-rated. Only ever pops up on these things to appease the Puerto Rican voters.

• JacobWizzleJacobWizzle 1,003 Posts
    I thought this feature was surprisingly thoughtful and well-done--I assume it coincided with some kind of a broadcast this past week.

http://www.mtv.com/bands/h/hip_hop_week/2006/emcees/index.jhtml

10. LL Cool J
    9. Eminem
    8. Ice Cube
    7. Big Daddy Kane
    6. KRS-ONE
    5. Nas
    4. Rakim
    3. Biggie
    2. 2Pac
    1. Jay-Z

Honorable Mentions: Andre 3000, Big Pun, Black Thought (snicker), Common, Ghostface, Lauryn Hill, Kool G. Rap, Scarface, Snoop

Its too hard to rank people from different eras. Its kinda crazy that Melle Mel and Moe
    Dee aren't even honorable mentions either. Does Jay get the #1 spot because of his length of dominance more than anything?? Pac is clearly the peoples champ. Em has never really made a album I really listen to. Cube has 3 completely undeniable classics (counting straight outta compton), I don't think anybody else on the list can fuck with that.

Big L
    Lord Finesse
    Ice Cube
    Big Daddy Kane
    KRS-ONE
    Nas
    Rakim
    Biggie
    Kool Keith
    Jay-Z

Top ten list in no particular order, just ten GREAT MCs.

Good heavens.

If I could erase the influence of any MC on the history of rap, Kool Keith might be it. He planted the poisonous seed of an idea that one need neither rhyme nor deliver one's words in a manner that has any relationship to the beat.

Ultramagnetic = dope.

All other Kool Keith related projects = plaese to spare the kid.

Dudes, please be serious. Finesse is a dope artist, but there are dozens of others that occupy the same echelon.

Being serious foolio. I still listen to Finesse records all the time and they are still funky! I do not own an Eminem record, CD, tape, anything.

• Kool Keith has fallen off, but going back to the Ultramags and even through the stuff with Godfather Don as the Cenobites isn't bad, so I think he warrants consideration. Critical Beatdown is a classic and Four Horsemen is great, Funk Your Head up isn't as good but it's not a bad album.

Kool G. Rap, Slick Rick and Grandmaster Caz - it's tough not to have them on the list. I'd also add as honorable mentions Lord Finesse and Grand Puba, and I don't mind that Biz was brought up. Sure, Kane wrote a lot of his memorable songs but I can't imagine anybody other than Biz doing those lyrics justice. That would be 3 juice crew members, and without mention of Masta Ace...I've always liked him, but can't argue that he should be on a GOAT list.

Good heavens.

If I could erase the influence of any MC on the history of rap, Kool Keith might be it. He planted the poisonous seed of an idea that one need neither rhyme nor deliver one's words in a manner that has any relationship to the beat.

Ultramagnetic = dope.

The Kool Keith legacy has been tarnished by the million random albums he has done since Ultra, including that wack ass Dr Octagon album.

TI or Ludacris should be an honorable mention if Lauryn Hill is on that list.

Ludacris? Get serious mayne. That dude is okay at best and all of his recent songs have been TERRIBLE! If you want him on the honorable mention list we may as well add 2 Bigg MC, Hot Dog and the A.T.E.E.M., Ho Frat Ho and Paperboy.

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts

Good heavens.

Ultramagnetic = dope.

i know you'll prolly hatt on me for this, but i'd add cenobites to the exeption list.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    I thought this feature was surprisingly thoughtful and well-done--I assume it coincided with some kind of a broadcast this past week.

http://www.mtv.com/bands/h/hip_hop_week/2006/emcees/index.jhtml

10. LL Cool J
    9. Eminem
    8. Ice Cube
    7. Big Daddy Kane
    6. KRS-ONE
    5. Nas
    4. Rakim
    3. Biggie
    2. 2Pac
    1. Jay-Z

Honorable Mentions: Kool G. Rap[/b]

bullshit

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts

9. Eminem
    payola

1. Jay-Z
    should be on the list, but #1=payola

Good heavens.

Ultramagnetic = dope.

The Kool Keith legacy has been tarnished by the million random albums he has done since Ultra, including that wack ass Dr Octagon album.

I always hated that Dr. Octagon schitt (cue Guzzle squawking about how I only dislike it because it defies my stereotypes of Black people).

Good heavens.

Ultramagnetic = dope.

I would have to agree. I should have been specific and said "Ultra Magnetic" Kool Keith.

Ludacris? Get serious mayne. That dude is okay at best and all of his recent songs have been TERRIBLE! If you want him on the honorable mention list we may as well add 2 Bigg MC, Hot Dog and the A.T.E.E.M., Ho Frat Ho and Paperboy.

luda has skills and can switch up his style for any type of beat. you are sleeping.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Big Pun? Big L maybe.

And where's E-40 at?

Dude, the fact that Pun even remade a version of "Deep Cover" is pretty much an acknowledgement that Snoop was a legend. Period.

And sorry, I can't take any argument seriously about "good MCs" when you think Guru should be on anyone's top 10 or even top 25. People love Gang Starr (as well they should) but not because Guru was blowing their lids off lyrically. That's like saying Ringo Starr must have been a Top 10 drummer of all time because the Beatles made great songs. Please.

Son you need to stick to rap that has echo horns and scratches. Luda is a dope rapper but he makes terrible albums.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Can't beliieve no one has mentioned Chuck D. For my money the most powerful delivery of any MC. People need to recognize...

Son you need to stick to rap that has echo horns and scratches.

So quotable.

Son you need to stick to rap that has echo horns and scratches. Luda is a dope rapper but he makes terrible albums.

Just for you Weezey, I will be playing rap that has echo horns and scratches all weekend. Come thru the crib if you will be in town this weekend and we can have a drink and argue about the best use of horns on the Show and A.G. "Runaway Slave" LP. I am listening to "Fat Pockets" as I type this!

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Good heavens.

So is Kool Keith the Ornette Coleman of Rap? If so, he should be on the list. For all of his work, including Ultra AND Doc Oc.

Big Pun? Big L maybe.

And where's E-40 at?

Dude, the fact that Pun even remade a version of "Deep Cover" is pretty much an acknowledgement that Snoop was a legend. Period.

And sorry, I can't take any argument seriously about "good MCs" when you think Guru should be on anyone's top 10 or even top 25. People love Gang Starr (as well they should) but not because Guru was blowing their lids off lyrically. That's like saying Ringo Starr must have been a Top 10 drummer of all time because the Beatles made great songs. Please.

Snoop should probably be top ten just for the Chronic and Doggystyle alone. Dude brought something new to rap and is still making good records after 10 years. I know he has been mailing it in the past 5 years but he still makes good songs. He has a good ear for beats and knows when to let the beat carry him, something most great rappers can't do.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Cube has 3 completely undeniable classics (counting straight outta compton), I don't think anybody else on the list can fuck with that.

THANK YOU!

Anyway, this list made me want a Pop Tart. Preferably one of the frosted joints.