Hunting for Nikes - Air Cringe

Comments

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    I'm going to ignore the argument going on and drop a little info about those Air Cringes for y'all...

Back in the late 90's Nike tried to get into the skateboard scene, and immediately alienated the target market by trying to sell them the same way they sell running and basketball kicks, ie trying to make them seem like the coolest, hippest shoes on the market, with a big in your face ad campaign on TV and everything. They also signed a bunch of pro skaters, including Bam Margera. The whole thing was rejected by skaters, who dismissed Nike as a huge corporation carpet bagging their culture to make money and not actually giving a shit about skateboarding. The Air Cringe was one of the models that were released, and even though it was a decent shoe, it was a huge failure and Nike got out of the skateboard business after maybe 2 years. As part of that failed project, they aren't remembered fondly by too many people, and I doubt highly that they will ever be retroed. Here's one of the original Nike Skate ads, you can see why the missed the core skate audience pretty clearly:

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

Back in the late 90's Nike tried to get into the skateboard scen

they reminded me of the Vans "TAG"s when I first saw them. Unfortunately I owned and were pieces of crap. Oh, and fuck DC's they are fuckin' korean made pieces of shit that fall apart.

• we need to institute a 3 strikes and your out policy on posting hideous kicks in sneaker threads.

G balliendo...this is strike 1.

fuck DC's

least. comfortable. shoes. ever. and that includes velcro county jail kicks.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

"You will not post wack sneakers anymore!"

The remedy:

Hey, I have those! Same color and everything.

There the Woman's Colorway.

Lucky dudes w/ small feets have the option to rock both flavors.

• we need to institute a 3 strikes and your out policy on posting hideous kicks in sneaker threads.

G balliendo...this is strike 1.

I will try to pretend YOU didn't just try to give ME a strike on footwear fashion.

• I'm going to ignore the argument going on and drop a little info about those Air Cringes for y'all...

Back in the late 90's Nike tried to get into the skateboard scene, and immediately alienated the target market by trying to sell them the same way they sell running and basketball kicks, ie trying to make them seem like the coolest, hippest shoes on the market, with a big in your face ad campaign on TV and everything. They also signed a bunch of pro skaters, including Bam Margera. The whole thing was rejected by skaters, who dismissed Nike as a huge corporation carpet bagging their culture to make money and not actually giving a shit about skateboarding. The Air Cringe was one of the models that were released, and even though it was a decent shoe, it was a huge failure and Nike got out of the skateboard business after maybe 2 years. As part of that failed project, they aren't remembered fondly by too many people, and I doubt highly that they will ever be retroed. Here's one of the original Nike Skate ads, you can see why the missed the core skate audience pretty clearly:

yep, and there are still plenty of skaters who have no use for Nike,
    with the "Just Don't Do It" campaign from Foundation, for instance.

The interesting thing is the way that Nike has won over skaters this time-
    most old dude skaters I know have no use for the hypebeast Nike SBs,
    but apparently it's these shoes that help independently-owned skate shops
    stay open in these days of chain/mall skateshops-
    Zumies, Active, etc.
    Not sure if that's what Nike has been aiming for,
    but it's worked out nicely for them.

The new Nike Skate video is pretty good, too.
    Too many skits, but some great skating.

but apparently it's these shoes that help independently-owned skate shops
    stay open in these days of chain/mall skateshops-
    Zumies, Active, etc.
    Not sure if that's what Nike has been aiming for,
    but it's worked out nicely for them

$$$$$$$BINGO$$$$$$$

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts

fuck DC's

least. comfortable. shoes. ever. and that includes velcro county jail kicks.

I disagree. I have 3 pairs of the Commands, way more comfortable than AF1s.

Ive seen some hot DCs but they never come in 13.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

I disagree. I have 3 pairs of the Commands, way more comfortable than AF1s.

I loved DC's styling, never loved their craftmanship. Two pairs and I was out. I would had hated to see if I skated in them.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Are ya'll serious!?! You would actually rock these? The cats that would wear these shits probably wear cargo pants too.

These look like some broke ass 89' Flights.

I'm saying!. That little 'Air" on the sole is so bobo. Oh man, I spilled bong water on my Nikes

As far as Batmon not posting wack kicks, let's please to not forget his New Balance Kenneth Eng experience (Dragon Related).

As far as Batmon not posting wack kicks, let's please to not forget his New Balance Kenneth Eng experience (Dragon Related).

My "wackest" shoes > ur whole shoe collectrton.

:5pager:

I will stand by these joints, and ive gotten a handful of compliments for them. Y'all stuck in the 90's..

• Are ya'll serious!?! You would actually rock these? The cats that would wear these shits probably wear cargo pants too.

These look like some broke ass 89' Flights.

I'm saying!. That little 'Air" on the sole is so bobo. Oh man, I spilled bong water on my Nikes

Speaking of not forgetting...

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

Batmon, for you it's a commodity fetish. For me its an extension of design and aesthietic sensibility into commodity consumption. You are compulsive, and having something new comes before having something great. I exercise discretion, and most of my sneakers are utilitarian. I'm not tripping when someone runs my kicks over with their stroller. People also compliment people on UGGS, and Crocs, so don't get it twisted.

G Balliando, calling attention to a pair of sneakers that I drew on does not change the fact that you have forever sullied your soulstrut sneaker credibility by craving some wal-mart bobos that happen to have a swoosh on them. My cloudicorns are a great way to rock my art instead of someone else's. Do you draw ?

• Speaking of not forgetting...

G Balliando, calling attention to a pair of sneakers that I drew on does not change the fact that you have forever sullied your soulstrut sneaker credibility by craving some wal-mart bobos that happen to have a swoosh on them. My cloudicorns are a great way to rock my art instead of someone else's.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Batmon, for you it's a commodity fetish. For me its an extension of design and aesthietic sensibility into commodity consumption. You are compulsive, and having something new comes before having something great. I exercise discretion, and most of my sneakers are utilitarian. I'm not tripping when someone runs my kicks over with their stroller. People also compliment people on UGGS, and Crocs, so don't get it twisted.

G Balliando, calling attention to a pair of sneakers that I drew on does not change the fact that you have forever sullied your soulstrut sneaker credibility by craving some wal-mart bobos that happen to have a swoosh on them. My cloudicorns are a great way to rock my art instead of someone else's. Do you draw ?

I'm gonna give you a few points for swagger, but I keep coming back to the fact that you rock cloudicorns.

• "You will not post wack sneakers anymore!"

The remedy:

Hey, I have those! Same color and everything.

There the Woman's Colorway.

Lucky dudes w/ small feets have the option to rock both flavors.

Haha, I rock a 10.5, I think those are a women's 12. Try finding that shit!

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

Great response, call my sexuality into question because I don't fit into your tiny world schema. Do you have tribal tattoos? Take that shit to theburbs.com. You're wack son.

Yo Faux, when I have those on with my amplified pants I melt hearts as well as faces.

• Great response, call my sexuality into question because I don't fit into your tiny world schema. Do you have tribal tattoos? Take that shit to theburbs.com. You're wack son.

MARQUEE behavior="scroll" direction="right" width="100%">http://www.metaphorname.com/images/verbal/kleenex.jpg" alt="" />/MARQUEE>

Here we go.

1) When I say compliments I mean by sneakerheads not Emily @ Starbucks.

2) "New before Great" as in Toms......

3) "utilitarian" - U are not Hip Hop

4) When it comes to drawing - I have a Fine Arts Degree....

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

Here we go.

Here we keep going.

1.) Sneakerheads, as in the type of people that buy BAPES?

2.) Toms are great shoes. They're simple. I don't need to be flossing at all times.

3.) Utilitarian and hip hop are not mutually exclusive categories. Don't confuse what people do in NY with what hip hop do.

4.) I was calling G Smalliando out on drawing, not you. What discipline is your degree in though?

• 1.) Sneakerheads, as in the type of people that buy BAPES?

4.) I was calling G Balliando out on drawing

Oh yeah, you so called me out, brosef!

• Options

I'm gonna give you a few points for swagger, but I keep coming back to the fact that you rock cloudicorns.

Hemol should make a documentary based on the Cloudicorns???, call it "Skipping My Doodahs" or "Cloudicornication" or something. That'd be fresh.

My favorite parts of the shoe are the magical fishscales in the back and the exclusive Hemol Ankle Oil??? around the inner joyring. Dude WEARS his shit.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    4.) I was calling G Smalliando out on drawing, not you. What discipline is your degree in though?

• "Cloudicornication"

hemol, location or you're soft

Here we go.

Here we keep going.

2.) Toms are great shoes. They're simple. I don't need to be flossing at all times.

3.) Utilitarian and hip hop are not mutually exclusive categories. Don't confuse what people do in NY with what hip hop do.

Here we go again.

1) Fine Art - My focus was Painting.

2) Tom-Tom Club ....not sneakers.

3) What people do in NYC is the DNA of this game.

4) At least we can agree on Jack Purcells

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

Hemol should make a documentary based on the Cloudicorns???, call it "Skipping My Doodahs" or "Cloudicornication" or something. That'd be fresh.

My favorite parts of the shoe are the magical fishscales in the back and the exclusive Hemol Ankle Oil??? around the inner joyring. Dude WEARS his shit.

I don't rock em that hard. The lining on them is some velour type stuff. I'm glad you guys get a kick out of my kicks.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

Honestly, you're better of in the Cringes than the BAPES, at least that way you can pretend that you didn't know sneakers are cool. BAPES are bootleg Nikes made out of pleather!

Oh yeah, you so called me out, brosef!
    . Well, you don't draw do you? There is a distinct difference between people who are able to pick up on trends, and people who are able to measure the merit of clothing based on its inherent aesthetic qualities. The former get all sassy on the internets while attempting to defend their lack of credibility. The latter don't really get offended by the former's tepid insults. Stay small dude.

• I ain't defendin' shit, you're the only one talkin'.