What became of JD and the Evil's Dynamite Band?

NiteKrawler45NiteKrawler45 1,062 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
Where do they play now? That Soul Fire release is so sick.....damn fine band.

Comments

• UnDos3UnDos3 81 Posts
    I picked up the Explodes Across the Nation repress a few weeks back. Nice smooth joints like Kalhari and Sunday Kinda Love which is included in the SoulFire compilation. There is also this 45 available on turntablelab which is on some psyh/soul combination...heavy, heavy, heavy!.

these guys still play?

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    What became of JD and the Evil's Dynamite Band

• I know the band members still play, maybe not as a collective though, but I didn't know where or the details on them. Plus I had read that JD DJs around, but that's all I know.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Phil Lehman being on permanent (?) vacation probably doesn't help them, the LP is dope but I don't think labels would fall over each other to sign them on the strength of a lo fi 4 track weedfunk album... The 45 I can live without however, but the Faboulous three 45 on the same "label"?

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    the Faboulous three 45 on the same "label"?

So slept on. The bassplayer from that 45 was DJing with L Michels at Bumpshop last Saturday.

I heard Bronx River Parkway played a gig in the city last night.

JD & The Evils are still around

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    I've got the album, but somehow I don't listen that much too it. I think they are best on the mellower tracks like "Flames Of Darkness". I love that Fabulous 3 single too. The 'funky' tracks are a bit too meandering and the weeded sloppy-loose playing only adds to the creeping disposability of the album. It's a fun listen, but not essential IMO. I'd love to hear some new material, though.

• dunno what happened to 'em, but the whole daptone/truth and soul posse seems to be holding it down on the regular here in nyc... budos and crew played a great set a rubulad last week; next time i go to a show i'll ask leon. you should check binky griptite for some next level soul.

• lotuslandlotusland 740 Posts

I heard Bronx River Parkway played a gig in the city last night.

oooh, that could have been nice. providing the spot was right.

i just found a copy of "majestic soul" at the SF amoeba dolla holla. very nice. also found a double of the WQLJ, and herb johnson 'get up get it' at the same time.

also amoeba LA i found the lost Cosmic Force 12" with "trinidad bump". very good disco slice from those dudes.

---

soulfire is pretty much done (maybe backstock exists), Truth and Soul is the new outfit. philip lehman is pretty much out of the game. too bad. he was a killer drummer and percussionist. .....daktaris