Jorge Ben ?

tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
If I was to buy one Jorge Ben record - what would it be? I'm not a huge Brazil/Samba head - but I've loved what I've heard from him.Any Suggestions?

Comments

• I'm not a huge Brazil/Samba head - but I've loved what I've heard from him.
    i recommend damn near every album of his up to the late 70's. but more specifically, what have you heard that you liked?

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    I've always liked Forca Bruta and Samba Esquema Novo and the S/T 69 steez.

Funny, I was just listening to his MTV Unplugged disc about an hour a go.

My gurl just got back from Brazil today.

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts

• novasolnovasol 204 Posts
    The above Africa-Brazil and the "Ben" lp. I highly rate most of his pre-80's material, but the two mentioned I feel are his more accessible albums.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    A T??bua de Esmeralda

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    my 3 favourites are....

s/t 1969
    africa brasil
    negro e lindo

But you basically can celebrate his entire catalogue pre Africa Brasil.

• Check this impressive page
    www.jorgebenjor.com

There you can listen to snippets of all tracks from practically every album he ever made.

• A T??bua de Esmeralda

Yes. Not doud's "funkiest" album by any stretch of the imagination, which is kinda the point because doud has so much more to offer than just worldmusicfunkheatraer. Every time I put this shit on I get a chill down my spine and it never really leaves the crate of records that I have in rotation.

So fucking necessary.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    A T??bua de Esmeralda

Definetely cop that. Jorge's singing and the arrangements are so beautiful. "Errare Humanum Est" sends shivers down my spine. My Jorge Ben section is by no means complete, so I'm not an expert, but you will not be dissapointed in the above album.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    A T??bua de Esmeralda

Yes. Not doud's "funkiest" album by any stretch of the imagination, which is kinda the point because doud has so much more to offer than just worldmusicfunkheatraer. Every time I put this shit on I get a chill down my spine and it never really leaves the crate of records that I have in rotation.

So fucking necessary.

cinco minutos =

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    I tenth "Esmerelda" ...the track Something Somethin Vorcer or whatever is the smoothest of the smooth.

I need "Ben" and "Forca Bruta" in my life. on the ebay?

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts

Does this get a little "Disco"?

i recommend damn near every album of his up to the late 70's. but more specifically, what have you heard that you liked?

"Take it easy my Broher Charles"

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts

Nope. Raw-ass African / Brazilian funk rock.

For disco you have to cop this one:

"A Banda Do Ze Pretinho" is also fantastic... I think a lot of people sleep on it because it's common and late (1978), but it's the most "samba-rock" LP that he recorded... really raw and live-sounding.

• SooksSooks 714 Posts

if you dig this song but can't pay the $ required for a copy, you can get a good version of this song on the Astrud Gilberto album 'Now' on Perception.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

The version of "Taj Mahal" is pretty disco on this... in fact a couple of cuts can make their way into loft-style sets.

However, I will say that if you don't like "Africa Brasil" you don't really like music.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts

if you dig this song but can't pay the $ required for a copy, you can get a good version of this song on the Astrud Gilberto album 'Now' on Perception.

Som Tres has a great version too but that will actually cost you more to acquire than the Jorge Ben lp. Kahimi Karie did a very shibuya kei version a few years ago also, which I enjoy.

The version of "Taj Mahal" is pretty disco on this... in fact a couple of cuts can make their way into loft-style sets.

However, I will say that if you don't like "Africa Brasil" you don't really like music.

I bought this and so far i dig.

How about those Jorge ben mixtapes that TTL is hawking? Anybody peep?

I have those CDs for sale too. They are very, very good - although, as was told to another not-knowin' strutter, they are not comprised of Jorge Ben performances but Jorge Ben songs. Meaning, there are a lot of ill and obscure covers and tunes that Jorge himself never sang.

Everything those dudes do is dope though, one should cop every CD they have.

• IronfeetIronfeet 516 Posts
    EROTIC MOODS!!! Opps worng Jorge Ben...

How about LaBamba Samba that LP is heat!

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

Easier to find/cheaper album from Jorge

Its just a bunch of 'medleys' of some if his most famous songs. A good intro to the man's music.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts

Orchestrated by Osmar Milito

Daaang, didn't know this--always have loved this album.

Speaking of Osmar Milito, this one is ill!

This one is the bset. I have MP3s currently posted www.sabadabada.com the first song is a stinker, but the remainder of the LP is 100%.

The one you posted is now available on CD from sambastore. They have lots of som livre stuff on CD.

This one is the bset. I have MP3s currently posted www.sabadabada.com the first song is a stinker, but the remainder of the LP is 100%.

The one you posted is now available on CD from sambastore. They have lots of som livre stuff on CD.

Yessssss, I dig that one too!

A T??bua de Esmeralda

You know I'm not looking for "Funky". I'm looking for a more Raw and underproduced sound. Is this that?

A T??bua de Esmeralda

You know I'm not looking for "Funky". I'm looking for a more Raw and underproduced sound. Is this that?

It is a 70s release so the production is more developed; but it is seriously one of the most beautiful records you will hear in your life

Ben sings on this LP and its pretty solid bossa type stuff. Raw as your likely to get

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I like this LP he did with gilberto gil,"Ogum Xang??"
    really stripped-down, just some guitars amd bass and occasional percussion, plus the 15 minute version of "Taj Mahal" is great.

• noreillenoreille 270 Posts
    Any Suggestions?

With no hesitation...

Jorge Ben & his trio AMOR DE CARNAVAL on Vedette records 211, from 1970. Italian pressing. Is there another pressing of this jewell ???

Quite rare but well worth the investment!!! Perfect from begining to the end. Every tune is on the same level: top, winner! More than my favourite Jorge Ben LP, perhaps my favourite brazilian LP... This isn't brazilian funk, just perfect brazilian music superbly arranged with a kind of psychedelic samba touch that I can only very warmly recommend.

I have no way to load a picture of it but I founded a "yahoo japan auction" link, so if you scroll down you'll be able to see the cover of this (once again) terrific and complete LP...

http://page6.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/f43571439