WEEKEND FINDS (4/8/06-4/9/06)

13»

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    yeah there are several pressings, the "Maximus Party" one, this one, and one with a green label.

There's a green label pressing for that? I know the label you're talking about, but haven't seen it for that 12"--Express seems to have changed their label design with pretty much every release.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

Awesome jacket and the record is actually very listenable!

Nice finds....I'm sure you know that Leathercoated Minds is JJ Cale.....

The Gospel LP cover is

• LordNOLordNO 202 Posts
    a bit uneven but slow's sho better than no:

Curved Air- Air Conditioning LP
    Moog!- Claude Denjean
    Inti-Illimani - La Nueva Cancion Chilena LP
    Pepe Jaramillo and his Latin American rhythm- Mexican Pizza LP
    David Banner- Play UK Remixes 12"
    Ghostface white label with hot fire "NY Wildstyle remix" w AZ, Rae. cut and paste joint with Nas and Jay Z. Kilo, Be easy Luda remix, and Future thug w Ludacris, Redman.
    oh, and a Lata Mangeshkar 45 (from Daag ost)

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    yeah there are several pressings, the "Maximus Party" one, this one, and one with a green label.

There's a green label pressing for that? I know the label you're talking about, but haven't seen it for that 12"--Express seems to have changed their label design with pretty much every release.

From a recent (unbid) auction.

• Vancouver record show was a little on the weak side....

Maneige- ni vent...ni nouvelle
    dizzy gillespie-rel thing
    Alice Coltrane-Journey to Satchidananda
    Dom Salvador-My Family
    Zvesti/MArtin Kratochvil and Jazz Q
    Eric Kloss-to Hear is to See
    Chico Hamilton-Pernigrations
    Shirley Scott-Something
    Gap MAngione-Sing Along Junk
    HArvey MAndel-BAby BAtter
    Eddie Higgins-Soulero

• Options

From a recent (unbid) auction.

YEllow Qary and Canadian Love Train came out first, MAximus PArty yellow second, Green Express third.

Have 20+ years of invoices (most handwritten but all dated) from a reggae store here in town to prove it. Phill Pratt often simultaneously released stuff in NY and Toronto.

"Every time is Qary time and Qary time is everytime"

That a serious typo, but I've seen worse.

K.

• Options
    Found a double of this while riding around with the pretty one.

Roots

Deep stuff, k.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    ok. here is my finds from this weekend and last weekend (since i forgot about last week)

thrifts/fleas/record store/record fair

prices anywhere from 25 cents - a dollar (with exception of a few 3 to 5 dollar ones from double d/record fair)

last poets lps in that photo are old, but they were autographed when i saw them last weekend!

that calypso lp has a few cuts from THE CHARMER aka LOUIS FARRAKHAN!!!

and, i was completely shocked to find a copy of that coyle & sharpe lp. the back appears to be autographed by one of them.

still sealed og. orchestra kool lp!

peter lang lp on takoma --sounds a lot like fahey.
    also, that sinatra lp is a live lp from some italian guy who had a cafe that was a shrine to him.
    even weirder is that columbia records lp that was only for thier workers at the pressing plant. tends to be a sought after record for its rarity, and there is some dylan song on it among other things.

white generic cover lp is a elevis costello boot--i had no idea what it was, but picked it up for 50 cents. for the old school emo heads -- that thumbnail/harriet the spy split was found at a thrift. seemed very out of place.

early 80s stuff from --factual = private synthpop post-punk, standard of living = INCREDIBLE synth/no-wave post-punk--sort of like early cab. volt/tuxedo moon mixed with screamers and dna , jezebel & the nudes = synth/post-punk w/female vocals, scattered order = artsy post-punk from aus, and bamboo zoo = INCREDIBLE. think fire engines.

liberty bell in that one made my day! found at record fair for 5 bucks, was thrilled to find it. i have a og 45 of thiers on the cee-bee label out of corpus christi, tx. texas garage punk at its finest!

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    Only one thing found. Been searching for it for 2 years since I sold my copy.

$1.99 - Sealed!

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    i know most of yall arent interested in this, but my boy kems and i bought about 800 records this weekend from a storage unit... and about 300 last weekend
    all late 80's to mid 90s hip hop... a lot of really really tough promos. picked up some records i have been lookin for for years. most in minty shapel.
    found out it belonged to a prominate miami dj and i guess he forgot to pay his storage bill
    thank you

i may put some pics up if i can get these somewhat organized

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    i know most of yall arent interested in this, but my boy kems and i bought about 800 records this weekend from a storage unit... and about 300 last weekend
    all late 80's to mid 90s hip hop... a lot of really really tough promos. picked up some records i have been lookin for for years. most in minty shapel.
    found out it belonged to a prominate miami dj and i guess he forgot to pay his storage bill
    thank you

Why wouldn't we be interested? Pics would be dope. Florida DJs have some wild jammie jams, especially on the electro side of things, that you won't find elsewhere.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    he forgot to pay his storage bill

^^^
    THE BEST AND WORST THING TO HAPPEN TO RECORD COLLECTORS, EVERYWHERE.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Dakar,

What does that Folica "Comando Geral" sound like?

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    Dakar,

What does that Folica "Comando Geral" sound like?

standard mid-70s brazillian samba / carnival from what i remember...

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    cool.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Picked up a lot of stuff this weekend and just won that big 45 lot on ebay this weekend (260 funk & soul 45s...i was the only bidder?), but this is the stuff i wrote down from saturday...more to come:

Gene Ammons - Free Again
    Wildflowers Vol. 3
    Billy Cobham - Funky Thide of Sings
    Gabor Szabo - Great Hits (Impulse)
    The Nova Local - Nova 1
    Jeff Lorber Fusion - Water Sign
    Flora Purim - 500 Miles High
    Newport in New York, The Jimmy Smith Jam - Jimmy, BB King, bunch of others
    Newport in New York Vol (i forget) Curtis Mayfield etc
    Gil Scott - Pieces of a Man
    Keith Jarrett - Great Moments With
    Gato Barbieri - Chapter One: Latin America
    Hubie Laws - Crying Song (CTI 1000 series...w/ Elvis Presley's rhythm section)

sorry no pics...no internet at home, no camera, soft.

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    thank you

Why wouldn't we be interested? Pics would be dope. Florida DJs have some wild jammie jams, especially on the electro side of things, that you won't find elsewhere.

well from what i see, hip hop doesnt pique peoples interest on this site. i know there are a few heads on here though. ill get some pics up. i cant believe i used the word pique..
    oh yeah, no electro in there. it was all hip hop except for a few jazz pieces. i did find a dynamite brothers soundtrack.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Almost forgot....Ahmad Jamal Trio Vol. IV {ARGO} (personal fave).

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts

well from what i see, hip hop doesnt pique peoples interest on this site.

my finds:
    spoonie gee- love rap/new rap language 12
    b-fresh "watch my dj get busy"
    hey ladies EP
    blvd. mosse - you cant escape the hypeness (pic cover)
    schooly D- gangster boogie/maniac
    father MC- im getting better/father MC going ill 12
    main source- looking out the front door 12
    DJ Red Alert- hiphop on wax vol 2
    spoonie gee- spoonin rap (red label)
    great peso & nasty- its time to rock 12

plus
    terry callier - what color is love
    fathers children LP
    paul nero soul party

but i dont know if the last few will pique anyones interest on this site

• schnipperschnipper 528 Posts

A lot of records at the fleas today. NY diggers were absent...

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

A lot of records at the fleas today. NY diggers were absent...

I picked that up at the Goodwill at the beach a couple weeks ago... red label though

• There was a scene on L.I. between '68 and '74 that evolved into a weird mix of The Rascals meet N.Y. Dolls...bands like Barnabye Bye, Wiggy Bits, American Tears, Truth(although their music always reminded me of a Heckle & Jeckle cartoon soundtrack) and the Illusion......they all made really commercial LP's but were much better "live"......it's definitely the "Long Island Sound" from that period.

Those bands suck too. Except Truth. I am an LI Sound hatter I guess.

Long Island never had a great music scene....the better rock stuff is the real private press stuff like Odyssey....I do dig the Haystacks Balboa LP that had Leslie West's brother Mark on guitar.....and Sir Lord Baltimore had some LI roots but for the most part it was a real commercial, slickly produced scene with Mob backing all trying to land a "hit".

Truth was great live...used to go see them with one of the better LI bands, Rat Race Choir

No shame in hatting the Lonk Guyland sound...it was very hattable.

Wha??? No love for the Good Rats???

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Hit a nice vein Thursday and Friday at [censored]. Most appeared to be from the same collection spread out over various locations. H2O Damage on some covers but vinyl is all stone mint.

Two banging 45s from the [censored] flea market. Sorry about the pictures. I have the damnest time getting clear close ups with legible text.

Snoopy Dean--Shake and Bump, parts 1 & 2 (FL)[/b]

Electric Express--I Can't Believe We Did (the Whole Thing) (Greensboro, NC)[/b]

and then...VA 1970 Private Psych madness for 25 cents at the third day of an estate sale, around the corner from my house, tucked among some Firestone X-mas and Lawrence Welk shits!

http://www.popsike.com/php/detaildata.php?itemnr=4800088262

• Boogaloo Joe Jones- No Way (prestige)
    Charles Earland- Dynamite Bros (prestige)
    Archie Shepp- Magic of Juju (Impulse)
    Gene Russell- Talk to my Lady (Black Jazz)
    Muddy Waters- Electric Mud (cadet concept)
    Horace Silver- Tokyo Blues (BLue note)
    Grupo de Experimentacion Sonora- Cuba Va! (Paredon). this record is cool, features Pablo Milanes and Silvio Rodriguez. what's up with Paredon- looks exactly like Folkways, right down to the paste-on and the booklet.
    James Moody- Beyond this World (Vanguard) thanks to Buscrates!!
    Nat Adderley- Much Brass (Riverside)
    Adventures of Captain Sky
    Mongo Santamaria- Soul Bag (Columbia)

plus some other stuff...

• Options
    Pitchers on you next time, Fr*nk.

K.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    thank you

well from what i see, hip hop doesnt pique peoples interest on this site. i know there are a few heads on here though. ill get some pics up. i cant believe i used the word pique..
    oh yeah, no electro in there. it was all hip hop except for a few jazz pieces. i did find a dynamite brothers soundtrack.

maybe youright. fuck these folls. pm me what you got and lets trade some records. soulstrut hiphop goes underground!

• phono13phono13 842 Posts
    Wow! Nice work on that Asylum Lp.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    what's up with Paredon- looks exactly like Folkways, right down to the paste-on and the booklet.

folkways imprint

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts
    what's up with Paredon- looks exactly like Folkways, right down to the paste-on and the booklet.

folkways imprint

take that shit to waxidermy...

Son.