WEEKEND FINDS (4/8/06-4/9/06)

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    damn, another one?

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

What's this sound like?

Herm (also a Guzman)

• all in the $1 to $5 range.nothing super rare or anything.im a little dude.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    damn, another one?

HCRINK GETS THAT RAG, DAWG
    DON'T YOU TET

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    ain't no shame in a cobham m.mcdonald game
    keep diggin' hommie,

I mean quit while you're ahead

sike

play on, playa

• ha yea that mcdonald is totally but i always used to bump "Regulators" when i was in 4th grade so i had to get it.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Jeez that Bataan is hot. I had the "Bottle" 45 for a while, so I
    knew I would like it, but shit blew my lid off. The "West Coast" side
    has instantly become my new justgothomefromworksmoketwiddleplaymusic OST.
    Marcos was a score at $5 NM WLP.
    King Floyd is just an amazing album. Battiste production is DOPE.
    J. Lytle never lets me down. Nice organ on this one, band is uncredited.
    Derrick Harriott is soooooo good.

Herbie & the Royalists is an eBay score I bought "blind" for 3 quid
    from a seller in the UK. Insane album. UK rock band led by singer Herbie
    who is from Barbados. Closest comparison I guess is the Equals, but not
    too much. Herbie's singing is a little suspect, but hearing groovy
    psychish beat tunes and freaky ballads with island vocals on top is
    pretty interesting to say the least, and sometimes it really works.
    2 instros really help, one a full-blown groovy psych extended jam
    with heavy guitar and the other a baroque funk with drum braek!
    This one is definitely going into my (hopefully) forthcoming "ISH"

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

LPs
    The Dickies - Incredible Shrinking Dickies, I think this is the original local pressing on Blue vinyl.
    Bad Religion - Process Of Belief, was sealed & cheap & they have 3 guitarists now.
    45s
    Amen Corner - At Last I've Found Someone To Love (Immediate)
    Amen Corner - High In The Sky (Deram)
    Amen Corner - Hello Susie (Immediate) I am liking these guys at the moment.
    American Breed - Don't Forget About Me (Festival) The flip is pretty fuzzed out & cool.
    The Animals - Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood (Columbia)
    The Band - Up On Cripple Creek (Capitol) Two of my fave Band songs, the flip is The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down.
    Hal Blaine - Challenger II (RCA) UK press, hotrod instrumentals.
    Blood Sweat & Tears - Tell me That I'm Wrong (CBS) I didn't think you could use the words 'good' & 'BS&T' together after the first couple LPs, but this is actually OK, from 74.
    Box Tops - Choo Choo Train (Stateside) I must nearly have all these guys' 45s.
    Gene Chandler/Barbara Acklin - Anywhere But Nowhere (Brunswick)
    Ansel Collins - Monkey Spanner (Interfusion) Original NZ issue, I've never seen this before.
    Don Covay - Leave Him (Mercury) Nice later stuff, 73, from Covay.
    Johnny Devlin - Slipping Around (Prestige) Early NZ rockabilly, all his early stuff is solid.
    The Drifters - At The Club (Atlantic) An early one I didn't have.
    Allison Durbin - Games People Play (HMV) Great souled out version of this song, with the flip being You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling/You're My Soul & My Inspiration medley done soul style also, so much of this chicks stuff is hit or miss but this 45 is nice. Local NZ from 69.
    Shirley Ellis - Soul Time (CBS) Nice female soul, the flip 'Waitin' is rad too.
    Georgie Fame - In The Meantime (Columbia) Another early one I didn't have, great stuff.
    Al Ferrier - Let's Go Boppin' Tonight (Goldband) I was expecting swampy blues but got 2 rockabilly scorch ups instead, I ain't mad.
    The Flirtations - What's Good About Goodbye My Love (Deram) Great female group soul, I have a few of their 45s, probably my fave Deram group.
    Four Fours - Barrow Boy (Allied) Local beat/garage rock from 66. Later became Human Instinct?
    Aretha Franklin - House That Jack Built (Atlantic) German pic sleeve 45.
    Free - My Brother Jake (Island)
    Marvin Gaye - Wherever I Lay My Hat (Tamla Motown)
    Honey Cone - Somebody Is Always Messing Up A Good Thing (Hot Wax) Promo
    Luther Ingram - Ain't That Loving You (Stax) Yes the original NZ Stax label looked lame.
    Isley Bros - Behind A Painted Smile (Tamla Motown) UK OG
    Isley Bros - This Old Heart Of Mine (Tamla Motown) NZ OG
    Major Lance - The Right Track (Contempo) Later stuff (73) still good tho. UK Promo.
    Buddy Miles - Wholesale Love (Mercury)
    Jackie Mittoo - Disco Jack (Pressure Sounds) Not very disco, which is a good thing.
    The Nice - America (Immediate) OG UK, definitely get your psych on with the flip.
    The Outrage - Be My Baby (Kama Sutra) I don't know this, but I know I like, sounds like some 60s rockers blasting through the girl group classic, the flip is cool too.
    Brian Poole - Do You Love Me (Decca) raw UK invasion version of this track, rips it up.
    Elvis Presley - Jailhouse Rock (RCA) This song kills it, don't front.
    The Raiders - Just Seventeen (CBS)
    Paul Revere - I Had A Dream (CBS)
    Paul Revere - Cinderella Sunshine (CBS) I'm just discovering that these guys had some solid 60s rock tracks.
    Righteous Bros - He (Verve) flip is a cool version of the Jerry Butler 'He Will Break Your Heart'.
    Righteous Bros - White Cliffs Of Dover (Philles)
    Righteous Bros - Just Once In My Life (Festival) I love these guys at the mo'. Their flip sides are pretty cool too, usually looser.
    Righteous Bros - In That Great Gettin' Up Morning (Moonglow)
    Rolling Stones - Time Is On My Side (Decca) NZ only pairing with 'Congratulations'.
    Mitch Ryder - Devil With A Blue Dress On (Stateside)
    Mongo Santamaria - Watermelon Man (Riverside) original local press, I never knew it got a local release.
    Shadows Of Knight - I Got My Mojo Working (Sundazed)
    Dee Dee Sharp - Mashed Potato Time (Top Rank)
    Joe Simon - Looking Back (Monument)
    Joe Simon - Hangin' On (Monument)
    Nina Simone - Ain't Got No (RCA)
    Nina Simone - To Love Somebody (RCA) A couple of funky later Nina sides.
    T-Bones - Sippin & Chippin (Liberty) 60s surf instro.
    The Temptations - Masterpiece (Tamla Motown)
    The Temptations - Let Your Hair Down (Tamla Motown)
    Billy Thorpe - Poison Ivy (Viking) 60s OZ rock version of this, garage stylee.
    T-Rex - Get It On (Bug)
    Ike & Tina - Come Together (Liberty)
    The Ventures - Damaged Goods (Dolton)
    The Ventures - Endless Summer (Liberty)
    The Ventures - Ram-Bunk-Shush (London)
    The Ventures - Penetration (Liberty)
    Billy Vera & Judy Clay - Storybook Children (Atlantic) Flip is fiyah.
    Jackie Wilson - Just Be Sincere (Brunswick) Cool 'Whispers' era Jackie.
    The Yardbirds - Evil Hearted You (Columbia)

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts

happy strut transactions, plus unplayed deep purples and fangface from out of left field

except for illustration, more unplayed stuff from a old school collectro whos
    starting to say goodbye to his boxes of perfect stuff bought new back when.
    the blondie 12"s arent spectacular but its nice to see this stuff in perfect shape.

• olskoololskool 77 Posts

• FrequencyFrequency 115 Posts

Whats that Heartstoppers like? It's on All Platinum right?? Good soul?

• Options

What's this sound like?

Herm (also a Guzman)

Here's a snippet. I have about 20 of these and am selling them for $25 each.

MAdness - La Familia ORchestra

[email]soufriere1@yahoo.com[/email]

Kevin.

• Options

I picked this up yesterday along w/ a few other wirl 45's. The opening bassline is DOPE!

How's the dash 45?

Toronto-Miami-NewYork-Toronto-Miami-NewYork-Toronto-Miami-NewYork-Toronto-Miami-NewYork

That Troubadours song gets infectious quick. It's also an LP cut.

Here's the flip- of "Sunshine man", You Knock Me Out - Wildflower

K in Canada.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    damnit, those are . thank you K for always edumacating.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    K, found a "Maximus Qary" 12" on Express today, is that spelling legit?

A lot of records at the fleas today. NY diggers were absent...

Other than the standard soul, jazz, and disco... I found a promo BDP "Sex & Violence" LP! Don't see that one too much.

• olskoololskool 77 Posts

Whats that Heartstoppers like? It's on All Platinum right?? Good soul?

yep, it's on All Platinum. The music is really great female soul, took me really long to get my hands on a copy of this.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    cheep little dude finds (all were from the field except Earl Zero):

big ones:
    Iron Maiden- The Number of the Beast
    New York Dolls- S/T
    King Crimson- In the Wake of Poseidon
    Earl Zero- Visions of Love
    Last Poets- This is Madness
    Jerry Butler- The Ice Man Cometh (with "suitable for framing" color portrait)
    Tito Puente- Puente Now!
    Hot Chocolate- Cicero Park
    Crew Devastation- No Time to Lose 12" (Gitten)
    Players- Feed the Flame 12" (Hostage)
    Prince Vince & The Hip Hop Force- Gangster Funk 12" (Money Making)
    James Brown- Grits and Soul LP (record only)

little ones:
    Rare Essence- Disco Fever/Huff & Puff (Major)
    Arelean Brown- I Am A Streaker/Why I Love You (Dud Sound)
    Don Gardner and Dee Dee Ford- I Need Your Loving/Tell Me (Fire)
    Little Beaver- Party Down Part 1/Part 2 (Cat)
    Charles Wright & the 103rd Street Rhythm Band- Express Yourself/Living On Borrowed Time (Warner Bros)
    Fred Wesley & The JBs- Doing It To Death/Everybody Got Soul (People)
    Mike Jemison- Lets Bring Back the Good Times/When You're Around (GeNEVA)
    Ponderosa Twins + One- You Send Me/Hey Girl (Horoscope)
    The Dynamics- Voyage Thru the Mind/Let Me Be Your Friend (Black Gold)

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

I'd been on the hunt for the Garland Green LP for a good while and found a stone mint copy today for cheap. Great soul album. The Black Rhapsody is a speech by a black historian to a group of students at William Penn High in Philly about their history and understanding the Kings and Queens they were born to be. A good afternoon.

• ShahShah 35 Posts
    Duke Keno/Contemoraries "Crest of the Wave" - sealed

The Pyramids "King of Kings" crazy private press - mint unplayed

They are up for sale if anybody wants them, get at me

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts

Recommended for the moroccomole and related free jazz afflicted heads. They're an african/free jazz fusion group from Ohio who put out three albums (73, 74, 76), this is the second. Great, deep, somewhat sloppy free jazz cuts.

Incidentally in the mail I FINALLY got a copy of "lalibela", their first. Not in the best shape, but it didn't cost much, and it plays through just fine, even VG+ through the second side. The rarest one, it's been driving me nuts trying to find.

• The Pyramids "King of Kings" crazy private press - mint unplayed

Recommended for the moroccomole and related free jazz afflicted heads. They're an african/free jazz fusion group from Ohio who put out three albums (73, 74, 76), this is the second. Great, deep, somewhat sloppy free jazz cuts.

Incidentally in the mail I FINALLY got a copy of "lalibela", their first. Not in the best shape, but it didn't cost much, and it plays through just fine, even VG+ through the second side. The rarest one, it's been driving me nuts trying to find.

Weren't they based out of Oakland at one point as well? The album I have (can't think of the title right now) has a Genoa Street, Oakland address for the label.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    There was a scene on L.I. between '68 and '74 that evolved into a weird mix of The Rascals meet N.Y. Dolls...bands like Barnabye Bye, Wiggy Bits, American Tears, Truth(although their music always reminded me of a Heckle & Jeckle cartoon soundtrack) and the Illusion......they all made really commercial LP's but were much better "live"......it's definitely the "Long Island Sound" from that period.

Those bands suck too. Except Truth. I am an LI Sound hatter I guess.

Weren't they based out of Oakland at one point as well? The album I have (can't think of the title right now) has a Genoa Street, Oakland address for the label.

Not sure exactly what the story is, actually... "Birth, speed, merging" has a CA address and is on a different label. Did they moved to CA or their album was just put out by a label based in CA? dunno. Maybe one of the bay area heads on here can speak up.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    There was a scene on L.I. between '68 and '74 that evolved into a weird mix of The Rascals meet N.Y. Dolls...bands like Barnabye Bye, Wiggy Bits, American Tears, Truth(although their music always reminded me of a Heckle & Jeckle cartoon soundtrack) and the Illusion......they all made really commercial LP's but were much better "live"......it's definitely the "Long Island Sound" from that period.

Those bands suck too. Except Truth. I am an LI Sound hatter I guess.

Long Island never had a great music scene....the better rock stuff is the real private press stuff like Odyssey....I do dig the Haystacks Balboa LP that had Leslie West's brother Mark on guitar.....and Sir Lord Baltimore had some LI roots but for the most part it was a real commercial, slickly produced scene with Mob backing all trying to land a "hit".

Truth was great live...used to go see them with one of the better LI bands, Rat Race Choir

No shame in hatting the Lonk Guyland sound...it was very hattable.

some of the nicer bits from this morning

????

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts

how weird - the freddy fresh book lists it as 'maximus party'... is 'qary' a typo at the plant or somethin?

• MikeZeroMikeZero 215 Posts
    Week(end) finds:

Awesome jacket and the record is actually very listenable!

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

how weird - the freddy fresh book lists it as 'maximus party'... is 'qary' a typo at the plant or somethin?

It's a typo--I'd also like to know whether or not that indicates it's a later pressing, since I've been worrying about the authenticity of my copy.

yeah there are several pressings, the "Maximus Party" one, this one, and one with a green label.

Edit: not sure which one's first though.