WEEKEND FINDS (4/8/06-4/9/06)

mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
$1 today, can't believe this made it out to Cali. Found it in a batch of Dallas Holm and other xian terds. No camera on me at the moment, so here's the pix and description from BeardedD's site:http://www.nothingexceptional.com/records/rarerecords.html"ClearingCame from a Massachusetts store -- could tell you the name but then I'd have to kill you. Got really excited when I saw the cover -- mystical dogs are a good thing. The most exciting thing turned out to be the fact that they came from my hometown of Newton, and two of them are married and still there. Music is, as you would expect, hippie folk from 1973 but sounding earlier. Recording is low-fi and you can hear the rooms where it all went down. Everything is as minimal as possible and it reminds me in places of Fraser and Debolt. Two or three bluegrass-type duds but otherwise a nice example of a moment in time when musical miracles seemed to happen on a daily basis. This is their second album; the first, Who Is In My Temple, was created for a Unitarian church they were involved with at the time."

Comments

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    DUDE

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    DUDE

SAYING.

YOU GET MUCH CLEARING DOGG

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    YOU GET MUCH CLEARING DOGG

love the smiley clearing doggs
    my first and only clearing LP though

CHICK ON THE LEFT LOOKS LIKE WHATS HER NAME FROM SNL AND THE CHICK ON THE RIGHT LOOKS POSSESSED

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

Okay ralphinator

• 1 lp:
    affinity-s/t (paramount)

45s:
    charles earland-leaving this planet(prestige)
    general crook-what time it is(down to earth)
    ripple-I dont know what it is/dance lady dance(grc)
    simtec&wylie-do it like mama/cant break away(shama)
    shadows of knight-shake/from way out to way under(team)

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

ah shit! completely forgot about this 45...time to give it a spin.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

ah shit! completely forgot about this 45...time to give it a spin.

Speaking of 45s

Trashmen- Surfin' Bird/King of the Surf on Garrett
    Bobby Fuller- I Fought the Law/Little Annie Lou on Mustang
    Castaways-Liar Liar/Sam on Soma
    Ruby Andrews-Casanova/I just don't belive it on Zodiac
    Voices of East Harlem-New Vibration/Giving Love on Just Sunshine

oh, and Cerrone IV on lp
    and a bunch of cds and dvds

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    Somewhat slim pickings today because of the rain, very few crates but still got a few good ones.

---The Counts "Love Sign" not bad, but no Whats Up Front That Counts
    ---Joe Tex "Happy Soul" fucking wacky ass Joe Tex songs
    ---Etta James "At Last" OG on Argo, word up, too bad it has some snap, crackle, pop cause this record's fucking dope
    ---Francoise Hardy "Mon Amour Adieu" french femme folk, yes plaese, the song "Il Est Trop Loin" is dope on this rainy day haunting vocals and spaghetti guitar, word
    ---The World of Good and Plenty "S/T" looks a lot better than it is, but a few good baroque soft psych tracks that I like
    ---The Illusion "S/T" on the Steed label (anyone know this label or anything else on it? price czeck?) the song "I love you, yes I do" is rock awesome, overall a nice psych joint
    ---Maximillian "S/T" find of the day no doubt, take a little Jimmy Hendrix, a little Arthur Lee, put 'em in a bottle, shake it up and out comes this record

Too lazy to take a picture bloods.

• ---The Illusion "S/T" on the Steed label (anyone know this label or anything else on it? price czeck?) the song "I love you, yes I do" is rock awesome, overall a nice psych joint

Don't know who else recorded on the label but Illusion did three LP's on Steed. All really nice and relatively cheap on the bay ($10 area?).

An Italian - US band, allegedly.

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    the Illusion were from Long Island. somewhere online i once found all these live photos of the Illusion playing...really cool looking pics...they were scans of faded old 70s photos.

info on steed: http://www.bsnpubs.com/dot/steed.html

thanks dudes!

• Options

K in Canada.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

was this also on RCA?

• Options
    Yeah, gold RCA - this is the original release. Same label as the 12.

K.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

I picked this up yesterday along w/ a few other wirl 45's. The opening bassline is DOPE!

How's the dash 45?

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I think The Illusion suck. I eradicated them from my collection. Tell us if you like it or not GV, I'm curious.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    marvelous!

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    I think The Illusion suck. I eradicated them from my collection. Tell us if you like it or not GV, I'm curious.

"Have You Seen Her Eyes" is the jam though. Love how they go from heavy rock sound directly into a ripoff of "Sing a Simple Song."

Yeah, I like it so far, not the be all end all of rock albums, but not bad either. I've only heard this album, so I can't comment on the rest of their output, but this one's got a few good tracks.

• phono13phono13 842 Posts
    I agree with Garcia and Marco, not at all a horrible Lp (s/t). The first one or two songs on the first side I believe (all records are in storage )are worthwhile.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

Yeah, I like it so far, not the be all end all of rock albums, but not bad either. I've only heard this album, so I can't comment on the rest of their output, but this one's got a few good tracks.

There was a scene on L.I. between '68 and '74 that evolved into a weird mix of The Rascals meet N.Y. Dolls...bands like Barnabye Bye, Wiggy Bits, American Tears, Truth(although their music always reminded me of a Heckle & Jeckle cartoon soundtrack) and the Illusion......they all made really commercial LP's but were much better "live"......it's definitely the "Long Island Sound" from that period.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I like how "Have You Seen Her Eyes" is one of those
    tracks where the LP version is like 7 minutes long,
    with extended solos and funky breakdowns, and works
    as an awesome hard rock jam track - and the 45
    version is a 2:30 edit, but works equally as
    well as a tough, quick slice of radio pop/rock.

• BeardedDBeardedD 770 Posts
    Couple nice 12"s

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    damn, another one?