NPR Gets Hyphy

2»

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    a lot of Bay Area artists compare hyphy to crunk. It is not an idea just out of a journalist's asshole.

Like I said it's not completely inaccurate, but when you see such a statement repeated over and over and over without any other description of the music at hand to accompany it...it might as well have come out of a journalist's asshole.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    a lot of Bay Area artists compare hyphy to crunk. It is not an idea just out of a journalist's asshole.

Like I said it's not completely inaccurate, but when you see such a statement repeated over and over and over without any other description of the music at hand to accompany it...it might as well have come out of a journalist's asshole.

I mean, journalists look for points of identification for people who are reading their work, but are not familiar with whatever it is their discussing... While there will always be people with expert understanding, 99% of folks don't give a fuck and just want to know what hyphy is. "Is it like crunk? Is it like houston?" I mean, on the one hand you could go on a rant about how hyphy is a homegrown thing that needs to be respected on its own... or you could make it easy for them and say "yes, it's like a west coast version of crunk". Which as you say, is not inaccurate.

I'd like to see "old bay" get repped a lot harder too, but I'll take what I can get. I'm happy that the bay is on people's lips. The commodification of it as a trend is the only way that would happen.

I mean, journalists look for points of identification for people who are reading their work, but are not familiar with whatever it is their discussing... While there will always be people with expert understanding, 99% of folks don't give a fuck and just want to know what hyphy is. "Is it like crunk? Is it like houston?" I mean, on the one hand you could go on a rant about how hyphy is a homegrown thing that needs to be respected on its own... or you could make it easy for them and say "yes, it's like a west coast version of crunk". Which as you say, is not inaccurate.

I'd like to see "old bay" get repped a lot harder too, but I'll take what I can get. I'm happy that the bay is on people's lips. The commodification of it as a trend is the only way that would happen.

Good points.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts

I'd like to see "old bay" get repped a lot harder too

this will happen as folls get hip to hyphy and then extrapolate backwards.

look for a run on the mac's first LP in the near future.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts

im not sure if i see that happening. i mean, the hyphy stuff is dancey. most the old bay stuff i have is some rider music. but, maybe i just dont have the right "old bay" music

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    you guys need someone to show you how to keep it real.

im not sure if i see that happening. i mean, the hyphy stuff is dancey. most the old bay stuff i have is some rider music. but, maybe i just dont have the right "old bay" music

For some reason this post reminded me of dudes dancing in the "Tired of Being Steppped On" video.

Or was it "Call Me On the Under"? I forget.

Either way, fat Bay dudes have always been prone to dance with their cars as a prop.

• you guys need someone to show you how to keep it real.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    This internet flag-planting is hilarious. It's like Space Race 2006:

"I was the first to put a dog into orbit!"

"Well, I was the first to put a monkey into orbit!"

"Shut up. I dropped Sputnik on that ass."

"YOU shut up. I came with Apollo (no homo)."

"Yuri FUCKIN' Gagarin."

"Neil GODDAMN Armstrong!"

Look. Folks, just listen to music you want to listen to. At least one person has heard it before you, and at least one person will hear it after you. Who gives a fuck who heard it first or claims to have heard it first? Can you imagine A Philly cat hearing Professor Longhair for the first time in 1964 at some fish fry and dissing other Philly cats who come up on him in 1965? The fuck outta here.
    Doods who pose are obvious and annoying, but do not effect the world we live in. Not in the slightest. You guys have put me up on more music than i could have ever dreamed (Raj - I'm saving up for a donation), and I'm grateful for it. But this "School of Carpetbaggetry (est. 5 whole years ago)" nonsense is like KRS-ONE in an orgiastic/orgastic rundown; it happens all the time in the real world, but I don't want to see it on my doorstep or hear it in my house.

• This internet flag-planting is hilarious. It's like Space Race 2006:

"I was the first to put a dog into orbit!"

"Well, I was the first to put a monkey into orbit!"

"Shut up. I dropped Sputnik on that ass."

"YOU shut up. I came with Apollo (no homo)."

"Yuri FUCKIN' Gagarin."

"Neil GODDAMN Armstrong!"

Look. Folks, just listen to music you want to listen to. At least one person has heard it before you, and at least one person will hear it after you. Who gives a fuck who heard it first or claims to have heard it first? Can you imagine A Philly cat hearing Professor Longhair for the first time in 1964 at some fish fry and dissing other Philly cats who come up on him in 1965? The fuck outta here.
    Doods who pose are obvious and annoying, but do not effect the world we live in. Not in the slightest. You guys have put me up on more music than i could have ever dreamed (Raj - I'm saving up for a donation), and I'm grateful for it. But this "School of Carpetbaggetry (est. 5 whole years ago)" nonsense is like KRS-ONE in an orgiastic/orgastic rundown; it happens all the time in the real world, but I don't want to see it on my doorstep or hear it in my house.

wait, don't tell me you actually listen to music? definite little dude move.

Time to size up and brag about the scene, I ain't heard a song since '03 But I've claiming modern soul foreva eva. Now I got Paris Hilton ringing my bell