NPR Gets Hyphy

Dabney_SoulmanDabney_Soulman 890 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
I can already see HarveyCanal preaching against the carpetbagging caused by public radio.http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=5323593

Comments

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    Flambostulatin' (v.): Acting overly ostentatious (cf. E-40)

This is my new favorite word.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Buster (n.):[/b] A person who comes off as less than credible

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    haha, she said "now add to the list of cities that grow their own hip hop styles, vill-ay-ho california"

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts

CARPETBAGGEUR

DISCONNECTED

REAL DISCONNECTED

LIZARD

Fa sheezy (excl.): Affirmation meaning "For sure" (cf. 3 X Krazy, E-40)

Fa shiggedy (excl.): See Fa sheezy

Fa shizzle (excl.): See Fa sheezy

Fa sho (excl.): See Fa sheezy

Fa shoo (excl.): See Fa sheezy

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    This nationwide hyphy media saturation is out of control...

• When she says she's talking to her friend Jason Valerio, that is the one TRACKADEMICKS.

• dig_thisdig_this 279 Posts
    this might be late pass (sorry), but did people see the e40/droop-e writeup in the sunday nyt a couple weeks back? 2/3 page with color pic steez.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    And the trend was pronounced dead at exactly......

The InterWeb is simultaneously making and breaking culture with disturbing precision.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    When she says she's talking to her friend Jason Valerio, that is the one TRACKADEMICKS.

That's a cool dude right thurr.

• And the trend was pronounced dead at exactly......

it's only dead if your jumping on the bandwagon because its a trend.

some people like the music & scene.
    others pretend to like it while being a scenester

in the end you should go for what you like

• HollafameHollafame 844 Posts
    To be perfectly honest...before it got all this exposure, I thought Hyphy was just another made-up Soulstrut word.

Disconnected?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Right off of the bat, carpetbaggeur-esque:

Hyphy is a rap style out of the suburbs of San Francisco

I actually can't listen to this at work, but if I ever get some free time at home I'll be glad to dissect the entire piece.

In general, I think the biggest carpetbaggeur tendencies within the recent national coverage of hyphy to be:

Trying to portray hyphy as an offshoot of crunk. In a way that's not completely inaccurate, but the local Bay scene has been thriving for far too long for it to have to depend on defining itself through the scene's of other regions. Therefore it's a slap in the face for marauding journalists to do so in favor of highlighting the pre-existing Bay foundation that is 100Xs more responsible for yielding hyphy than is crunk.

Concentrating so much on sideshow activity rather than focusing on the innovations of the music at hand skews hyphy into this realm where bystanders only think of it as thizz-induced high school dropouts ghostriding their whips rather than as the beats that actually define the movement. In other words, sideshows have been happening for the longest. Richie Rich and 3XKrazy basically made sideshow music years ago that wasn't hyphy in the slightest. Therefore it's the changes in the music that define hyphy and not what fools are doing at Eastmont Mall to basically any given music.

Surely I could go on...

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    As a sidenote, at the record show this past Sunday I pulled out a couple of Federation "Hyphy" twelves (one w/ pic sleeve, another w/ E-40 remix) for my homeboy and told him "YOU NEED THIS." He didn't know the song, so I threw it on the GP-3. He only heard 5 seconds of the song and immediately said, "Oh yeah that's good. I'll get the one with E-40."

BEST $3 I EVER MADE
    b/w
    COAST-TO-COAST CARPETBAGGUETTING

• When she says she's talking to her friend Jason Valerio, that is the one TRACKADEMICKS.

That's a cool dude right thurr.

Just to clarify...

A carpetbaggeur isn't someone from another city who genuinely likes and seeks to gain a true understanding of a local scene.

A carpetbaggeur is someone who uses the standard of another city's scene to inaccurately portray a local scene.

A familiar example is the tendency for retro-Meters diggers to dismiss the culural improtance of "They All Asked For You" just because it doesn't fit some pre-conceived notion of what constitutes a funky track. In other words, to a dustygrrover the song isn't funky at all. But to NOLA residents it's practically the measuring stick for what funky means.

Sorry if this is old news to y'all, but I''m seeing far too many people on here misusing the term "carpetbaggeur."

Some other classic examples that kinda deviate from the definition provided above include...

Sway not only having to ask what "chunking the deuce" means but then throwing his peace sign up as if it was the first time he had ever done it.

This would fall under the category of patronizing a local rap experience.

Then Sway provided another instance when he didn't have the balls to go ahead and identify "thizz" as what it truly is.

That would fall under the category of not keeping it real with the local rap experience.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    Sway not only having to ask what "chunking teh deuce" means but then throwing his peace sign up as if it was the first time he had ever done it.

i have never heard that word used in this context before. my understanding of it is completely different.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Just to clarify...

A carpetbaggeur isn't someone from another city who genuinely likes and seeks to gain a true understanding of a local scene.

A carpetbaggeur is someone who uses the standard of another city's scene to inaccurately portray a local scene.

A familiar example is the tendency for retro-Meters diggers to dismiss the culural improtance of "They All Asked For You" just because it doesn't fit some pre-conceived notion of what constitutes a funky track. In other words, to a dustygrrover the song isn't funky at all. But to NOLA residents it's practically the measuring stick for what funky means.

Sorry if this is old news to y'all, but I''m seeing far too many people on here misusing the term "carpetbaggeur."

Some other classic examples that kinda deviate from the definition provided above include...

Sway not only having to ask what "chunking the deuce" means but then throwing his peace sign up as if it was the first time he had ever done it.

Then Sway provided another instance when he didn't have the balls to go ahead and identify "thizz" as what it truly is.

That would fall under the category of not keeping it real with the local rap experience.

How thoughtful of you to provide us little dudes with a guide to carpetbaggeuing that we can print out and carry in our wallets for on-the-spot reference.

• Just to clarify...

How thoughtful of you to provide us little dudes with a guide to carpetbaggeuing that we can print out and carry in our wallets for on-the-spot reference.

Mr. Canal/ Archaic/ Lizard destroyer,

being that you are not from the bay and you've gone on pushing that you understand hyphy and clarified what it is in other discussions aren't you violating straight up and down?

Just to clarify...

being that you are not from the bay and you've gone on pushing that you understand hyphy and clarified what it is in other discussions aren't you violating straight up and down?

I lived in the Bay for 5 years, from 97-02.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    I just watched the Ciara video for "Oh."

I don't have cable so I youtubed it.

I was inspired by Trife's line on Jellyfish off of Fishscale:

"Throwin that ass like Ciara on the top of that whip"

Ciara was dumb cute in the video.

But more importantly I can say without irony that Luda bites the Blowed in his verse.

I just watched the Ciara video for "Oh."

I don't have cable so I youtubed it.

I was inspired by Trife's line on Jellyfish off of Fishscale:

"Throwin that ass like Ciara on the top of that whip"

Ciara was dumb cute in the video.

But more importantly I can say without irony that Luda bites the Blowed in his verse.

He kinda does though, especally with that "ghetto harmonizing" line.

But noone's mad at him for it.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

But then, when "ghostride the whip" was explained for what it truly is, you got all Helen Lovejoy on that ass. Can't win for losin', I suppose.

• Just to clarify...

so you moved into an area that you were not raised in, stayed around for a couple years and left giving yourself credibility in understanding the local scene now?

how is this not considered carpetbagging?

But then, when "ghostride the whip" was explained for what it truly is, you got all Helen Lovejoy on that ass. Can't win for losin', I suppose.

Ghostride the whip doesn't need an explanation. It's self explanantory.

Thizz should be properly ID'ed, but that shouldn't be accompanied by a demostration on how to cook it up the same way that MTV was practically like...hey kids, this is what ghostriding your whip looks like for the next time mom lets you borrow her car.

Just to clarify...

so you moved into an area that you were not raised in, stayed around for a couple years and left giving yourself credibility in understanding the local scene now?

how is this not considered carpetbagging?

1. Because I paid rent up in that bitch. I wasn't just a visiting journalist in for a weekend to get the "definitive" scoop on a new sound/culture.

2. I'd have to misrepresent something first before I could be accurately labeled a carpetbaggeur.

Nice try on turning a concept that I introduced to you, one that you still don't seem to fully comprehend, back on me though...

Come to think of it, you have reached a whole new level of carpetbaggeury by actually carpetbagging the term "carpetbaggeur".

• Come to think of it, you have reached a whole new level of carpetbaggeury by actually carpetbagging the term "carpetbaggeur".

This is like that scene in the matrix where Keanu has deja vu and they realize theres a glitch

• Come to think of it, you have reached a whole new level of carpetbaggeury by actually carpetbagging the term "carpetbaggeur".

• ja_bruceja_bruce 295 Posts
    Correct me if I'm wrong peoples but isn't "thizzin" just taking ecstasy ?

Like Canal said, I don't like the way people (bloggers, hipsters, blah blah) just say "oh yeah, its just Bay area crunk". I mean, I sort of see the connection there, but when they say thats just lazy ass journalism and saying what other people have already said before. Trying to associate it with something else out there already trying to be all hip with the kids. Me, personally I like alot of different kinds of hip hop but I'm not feelin it as much as others seem to be. Maybe it's my region, maybe I've been listening to the wrong stuff. Hype me to some super dope hyphy stuff. I've listened to E-40 for a while and I do like tracks off the new album but I don't think its going to be on repeat. I don't know if I'd call hyphy a movement but in time we'll see.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    a lot of Bay Area artists compare hyphy to crunk. It is not an idea just out of a journalist's asshole.