Your records and your kid

generiquegenerique 625 Posts
edited April 2006 in Strut Central
Today I picked up my little man from daycare. He had fallen TWICE so he looked like Robert de Nero in Raging Bull, the blood still in his hair. Anyway, we got home and I put on a funk record (Wild Havana) and after the first mellow track a very hard funk track called "NASTY STUFF" sets in, which sounds exactly like the title, and Benno jumps off his chair, looks at me knowlingly while yelling "YEAH!" and he starts doing moves right out of Billy Jean.What do these kids DO at daycare???

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    My little girl who just turned one year old can already keep a steady beat by clapping her hands and she also dances in this sorta crouched-bounce sort of way.

She bangs on a jimbe drum and a keyboard, likes to stop and start records on my 1200's, and just got a Fisher Price portable and a stack of 45's for her birthday.

So far she's seen the following groups perform:

Juneteenth Battle of the Bands
    Morgan Heritage
    Spoon
    Eisley
    Dirty Dozen Brass Band
    Ephraim Owens
    Big Chief Kevin and the Flaming Arrows
    New Orleans Social Club
    Allen Toussaint
    and of course her big homies NGOK

• generiquegenerique 625 Posts
    That sounds sweet!

When his mother is practicing his speach and she asks benno "Where's daddy" he points at my record player

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    9 month old Jack loves Sly and the family Stone. He rocks back and forward on all fours with a grin on his face.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    When my daughter started crawling she would would have the run of the house. She would get into everything. She tore up my cd collection. She was a quick learner when she attempted to go for my record collection. "Don't mess with daddy's records" I would say. My record collection survived the toddler years. That's just damn good parenting. Respect the wax!

• i m having kids when i m 36

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    When my daughter started crawling she would would have the run of the house. She would get into everything. She tore up my cd collection. She was a quick learner when she attempted to go for my record collection. "Don't mess with daddy's records" I would say. My record collection survived the toddler years. That's just damn good parenting. Respect the wax!

My son did the same thing, and learned not to mess with the vinyl the same way. He's 3 now so he's fully been caught up by "Blue's Clues" and "Jack's Music Show", but he nods along with appreciation to whatever I have playing in the car. He especially liked banging he head to punk and metal stuff! Now I'm working on my 6 month old daughter.

Old pic of my son, he was about 1 and a half when I took this, and it's unposed, he went tp the shelf and pulled this out on his own...

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    haha the look on his face is the shit

• mrpekmrpek 627 Posts
    My son Cole just turned 2 loves to come listen to records. He always tells his mom I wanna go scratch ..

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    My kid who is 7 has started talking about "If I get any money daddy I'm going to buy you records." He loves dancing so when I put on a record he'll usually start. He also sings along to songs in the car and has a couple favorites like "Concrete Reservation" and "Popcorn Children." He HATES record shopping though, but then again, he hates being taken shopping in general.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    My kid who is 7 has started talking about "If I get any money daddy I'm going to buy you records."

Sounds profitable... no chance you would let him come hang out with the big kids??

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    "If I get any money daddy I'm going to buy you records."

beautiful.

• my baby Miles loves RjD2,Stark Reality, pretty much anything with loud drums.he's totally fascinated with anything that makes sound.guitar,drums,keys.he's gonna be a dope musician(just like his pop )

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    This shortee is Teun, 7 weeks here.
    He really seems to respond well to motown music, I guess the straight forward drums are easy for him or sumthing.

• DJ_WubWubDJ_WubWub 874 Posts

My little girl Amali is 9 months and has recently been standing up and loves looking though my crates. Her current favorite track is "Jump to it" Aretha franklin 12" she kinda humps the floor and moves her hands around.
    Oh she likes "its just begun" and can hold a decent bgirl pose while holding a teething stick

rep your babies

• sonofsamsonofsam 680 Posts

this is my daughter about 2 years ago before she could really stand up too well... she has pretty much lost interest in records now, and only wants to brush her dolls' hair and put make up on me