BOTB - WHAT TO DO WITH?

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
What do you record dealers dudes do with uneBayables? I have been buying collections off and on and accumulate stuff that I would be happy to get 50 cents - $1 / a piece for, but instead donate them to Goodwill or use for packing material. I probably have missed out on a grand in $5 and under joints that I'm too lazy to hustle.The local shops won't take them because they know me and know the collection has been picked through. I'm tempted to have my wife go in there with boxes full of smooth jazz. She'd probably walk out with loot.Talking out my azz here.

Comments

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    do the wife thing or craiglist it as an 'instant record collection' and wait for that one dude who goes for it.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    do the wife thing or craiglist it as an 'instant record collection' and wait for that one dude who goes for it.

yeah.. i like the Craigs list idea. Or I could just write them off and donate them.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts

just make sure to take your alice clarkes out of the stack first.

hi raj.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    I've been facing the same dilemma. My fear is that one day japanese collectros would wake up and declare argentinian Mantovani's pressings as highly collectible.

just make sure to take your alice clarkes out of the stack first.

hi raj.

Sup Ch*d?? I'm anxiously awaiting for Half Price to make it over the Mason/Dixon line. Until then, I only have my neighborhood shops who know I rape collections then dump. I once took $30 in credit for 500 disco 12's!!! It's easier for me to drop them off at the goodwill and run for cover!

• Not sure where you live, but yard sales, and flea markets are perfect for this shit.

Flea Market, $1 apiece, and end of the day seize an oppurtunity to "sell em' all for..." to someone.

Yard sales are a little different in my experiances. People aren't really trying to pay more than a .50 for anything, and unless you run a local paper add advertising your yardsale with "RECORDS!!", the record related traffic is really mediocre.

good luck. My soul is always drowning in bullshit throwaway records too, i feel ya.

c

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    anytime im trying to unload commons / dolla binners at a local store i always send the wife... i give her a rough esitmate so she can haggle if they underbid..

good looking chick haggling with dork record store dudes is the way to get paid!

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    newspaper always does well for me.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    All these suggestions sound too labor intensive to justify the small amount of money you're likely to clear. I'd just toss 'em.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts

Sup Ch*d?? I'm anxiously awaiting for Half Price to make it over the Mason/Dixon line. Until then, I only have my neighborhood shops who know I rape collections then dump. I once took $30 in credit for 500 disco 12's!!! It's easier for me to drop them off at the goodwill and run for cover!

http://www.halfpricebooks.com/pennsylvania.html

If you're willing to drive to Pittsburg there's a good $3-4 waiting for you in the buy area. Act now!

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    I'd just toss 'em.

BAD RECORD KARMA

• HAZBEENHAZBEEN 564 Posts
    What do you record dealers dudes do with uneBayables? I have been buying collections off and on and accumulate stuff that I would be happy to get 50 cents - $1 / a piece for, but instead donate them to Goodwill or use for packing material. I probably have missed out on a grand in $5 and under joints that I'm too lazy to hustle.

I know dudes who do okay with these kinds of records on Gemm. It sounds like work to post 'em, tho.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I'd just toss 'em.

BAD RECORD KARMA

Perhaps.

"Karma" isn't really a part of my worldview.

http://www.halfpricebooks.com/pennsylvania.html

If you're willing to drive to Pittsburg there's a good $3-4 waiting for you in the buy area. Act now!

Fock! Wow! The Burgh has Half Priced???

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Raj,

bring them up here, and sell them on the street on a sunday morning. now that the weather's nice again, it's time to clean up. I did really well selling my off-condition stuff last summer. Sundays are the move in WIlliamsburg cause they don't write tickets. I heard the police captain that puts pressure on the officers to write citations is off on Sundays.

• I'd just toss 'em.

BAD RECORD KARMA

if there is such a thing as "bad record karma",
    it's probably created by continuing to put shitty records
    in shitty condition back in the bins for fools to
    have to sort through.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    What do you record dealers dudes do with uneBayables? I have been buying collections off and on and accumulate stuff that I would be happy to get 50 cents - $1 / a piece for, but instead donate them to Goodwill or use for packing material. I probably have missed out on a grand in $5 and under joints that I'm too lazy to hustle.

The local shops won't take them because they know me and know the collection has been picked through. I'm tempted to have my wife go in there with boxes full of smooth jazz. She'd probably walk out with loot.

Talking out my azz here.

god bless Dusty Groove and Reckless records

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Raj,

You might have lost out on a grand and I'm not one to snub $1000 but think about all the troube you'd have to go thru to move enough units to make back that grand. Like, is it worth selling off 200 $5 joints if it involved gemm or ebay?

I'm sure you have better things to do with your time. :ym:

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts

I have learned that some house producers LOVE cheesey discofunkjazzcrap for sampling purposes. plus a lot of house producers/dj's often have a lot of money for some reason. i say it's worth a shot. find you some house music BBS or something. or craigslist, i think that's a fair idea as well. i'm also kinda talking out my ass. but it still might work.

Raj,

You might have lost out on a grand and I'm not one to snub $1000 but think about all the troube you'd have to go thru to move enough units to make back that grand. Like, is it worth selling off 200 $5 joints if it involved gemm or ebay?

Exactly.. my perspective from the get go. I save dough on cardboard inserts, I get a break on my taxes when I donate them, BUT, twood be nice to squeeze a few more bucks out of this mountain of dollar bin shit I've amassed.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Raj,

Exactly.. my perspective from the get go. I save dough on cardboard inserts, I get a break on my taxes when I donate them, BUT, twood be nice to squeeze a few more bucks out of this mountain of dollar bin shit I've amassed.

I would say take a day and do a blowout - either in your area or somewhere where there's a lot of traffic. Everything that doesn't sell, bring it to salvo/goodwill.

I remember Tom coming through one day after selling on the street and he had made more money than I did at the shop!

• Find some indy rock hipsters (in college on p's money).

Slang em the bundle (vinyl is soooooooo in these days).

You can regularly get about 15 bucks for Thriller from those kids.

"Dude its got Beat it, AND Billie Jean"

• Save them records for the day the zombies attack, throw the records at the zombies just like in "Shawn of the dead"

• bobbydeebobbydee 849 Posts

I have learned that some house producers LOVE cheesey discofunkjazzcrap for sampling purposes. plus a lot of house producers/dj's often have a lot of money for some reason. i say it's worth a shot. find you some house music BBS or something. or craigslist, i think that's a fair idea as well. i'm also kinda talking out my ass. but it still might work.

Totally. Split it up and market it as "lots of sampler fodder for those who can really flip a sample" you'll get some dude to bite. I know plenty of house producers that surriously don't know they are only sampling top 40 crap from the last 30 years.

Either that or track down Diddys number (did i use his most current name? i need to prove my connectedness)