WEEKEND SCORES

Comments

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

On another note, I've had that Rationals LP on repeat since yesterday. Can anyone recommend anything similar? The first couple tracks are especially great. Shit threw me for a loop when the song used for The Office came on at the end there...

The interlude that repeats throughout the LP is really nice too.

Not sure what I'd recommend. One or two of the songs remind me of Moby Grape's debut LP but other tracks sound nothing like them!

Oh and I think Handbags & Gladrags was first recorded by Chris Farlowe but Rod Stewart's is the better known version, well in the UK anyway.
    Early Chris Farlowe =

What's the catalog number on the Roy Eldridge? Is it the Roy Eldridge in Sweden record or a different one?

What's the catalog number on the Roy Eldridge? Is it the Roy Eldridge in Sweden record or a different one?

Blue label 10" catalog number PRLP-114 and is just titled "Roy Eldridge Plays". Total of 8 cuts including "Noppin' John", "They Raided The Joint", "Saturday Night Fish Fry" and "Echoes Of Harlem".

Blue label 10" catalog number PRLP-114 and is just titled "Roy Eldridge Plays". Total of 8 cuts including "Noppin' John", "They Raided The Joint", "Saturday Night Fish Fry" and "Echoes Of Harlem".
    Sounds like Roy Eldridge in Sweden, is that 8 tracks counting Saturday Night Fish Fry Pt.1 & 2 seperately?. You could have mythicalprestige10"raer....

[quoteSounds like Roy Eldridge in Sweden, is that 8 tracks counting Saturday Night Fish Fry Pt.1 & 2 seperately?. You could have mythicalprestige10"raer....
    Nope...no Pts.1 & 2

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

The blues magoos sounds nothing like a blues magoo record.

That album was late in their career, after they'd changed labels (from Mercury to ABC) and lineups. They didn't have the same psych/punk sound as the first two albums, Paychedelic Lollipop and Electric Comic Book.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I like their Never Goin Back To Georgia the best...

[quoteSounds like Roy Eldridge in Sweden, is that 8 tracks counting Saturday Night Fish Fry Pt.1 & 2 seperately?. You could have mythicalprestige10"raer....

Nope...no Pts.1 & 2 Seems strange to me, the 114 catalog number is the In Sweden 10" but Noppin John was not on that LP originally and was issued as a 78 single instead. Anyways, they are all from the same 1951 swedish sessions. Noppin John should have an example of Jazz Harpsichord playing... The same stuff was issued on Mercury/Emarcy as Roy's Got Rhythm. Weird. Should be a good record.

• Options
    Couple hot records whilst trolling the garage sales on bikes alonside the girlfriend

K in Canada.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

That Merle Travis is an excellent record! That ain't raer is it?

Nope...no Pts.1 & 2
    Seems strange to me, the 114 catalog number is the In Sweden 10" but Noppin John was not on that LP originally and was issued as a 78 single instead. Anyways, they are all from the same 1951 swedish sessions. Noppin John should have an example of Jazz Harpsichord playing... The same stuff was issued on Mercury/Emarcy as Roy's Got Rhythm. Weird. Should be a good record.
    ????? Maybe this will help??

This one is on the OG green Capitol label and is M-.....in that form it's pretty tough......but it's been issued 10-12 times and is pretty easy to find overall. Great guitar LP!!

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts

The blues magoos sounds nothing like a blues magoo record.

That album was late in their career, after they'd changed labels (from Mercury to ABC) and lineups. They didn't have the same psych/punk sound as the first two albums, Paychedelic Lollipop and Electric Comic Book.
    that record is awesome! "slow down sundown" is UNREAL! love it

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

This one is on the OG green Capitol label and is M-.....in that form it's pretty tough......but it's been issued 10-12 times and is pretty easy to find overall. Great guitar LP!!

I am pretty sure mine is a Capitol re-issue with an orange label from the 70s, but I was thrilled when I found it. I love that country jazz!

• MikeZeroMikeZero 215 Posts

KICKLAND & JOHNSON "Clay County" LP --nice private folk/hippy rock from '74
    CAJUN SWING LP on Folkways
    HERBIE MANN "Flute Flight" mono og clean!
    THE COUNTERWEIGHT RECORD --strange commune/collective type private outta New York from '73...anybody seen this before? Downer folk to hippy rock to kazoo bullshit
    J.LACHEN "Music For the Dying Forest" LP --Swedish prog from '85...pretty awesome!
    BEN AIKEN "Satisfaction" 45 on Loma...killer northern pounder!

KICKLAND & JOHNSON "Clay County" LP --nice private folk/hippy rock from '74
    CAJUN SWING LP on Folkways
    HERBIE MANN "Flute Flight" mono og clean!
    THE COUNTERWEIGHT RECORD --strange commune/collective type private outta New York from '73...anybody seen this before? Downer folk to hippy rock to kazoo bullshit
    J.LACHEN "Music For the Dying Forest" LP --Swedish prog from '85...pretty awesome!
    BEN AIKEN "Satisfaction" 45 on Loma...killer northern pounder!

I dig the Clay County.....I have another one by Kickland and his brother that's not very good.

• MikeZeroMikeZero 215 Posts
    I dig the Clay County.....I have another one by Kickland and his brother that's not very good.

Didn't know Kickland had another LP...what year? I have an Ed Johnson LP from '77 which is decent folk.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Another fantastic weekend.

first, from the show this morning & a neighboring shop:

All three Love records, gold label, stone mint! One after the other in a box.

Then, the following from a major reggae figure, who sells off once he has up to 5 copies of a tune:

Synthy dub business that could fit into any set. I ended up selling this today and I had to put word out that I need a copy for myself!

One of my favorite reggae tunes EVAR

Beautiful sweet rock steady vocal

Lee Scratch + Alcapone = can't go wrong

Some dope soul covers

And the piece du resistance...

well chuffed.

• Options

Heard this was a boot and never sanctioned by Lee. Killer track, which the English titled "Star Trek" by the Vulcans. OG is on Jackpot. KIller Itals tune over that rhythm and equivalently funky and synthless instrumental with excellent trumpet/horn work (I have pn the B side of Lee and the Calerdonians "This is my story" on Wimpex).

Beautiful sweet rock steady vocal

Matrices?

OG is on Wirl.

Nice finds, johnny.

K

• lotuslandlotusland 740 Posts
    i'd be well chuffed to find a thrashed yet doable forever changes.

need that record in my life.

yes, i'm sick of it, heard it 1000 to many times, but still....i don't have it.

• lotuslandlotusland 740 Posts
    damn,
    i just realized i did a "double take" on your post thinking it was kevin's.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

Matrices?

MFD DYNA SC 3821-1

show off

Re: "Joe Frazier", the synths make it for me.

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts

DOPE!

• Options
    Yeah, the writing on it is correct and it's "My Application". Flip might be Mighty Diamonds "Oh No Baby", but you'd have to give me the matrix for me to be sure.

SC is either Syndey Crooks or Stanger Cole (sometime written "SCole" as well).

That's a harder find, the "Jow Lewis" than the equivalent "Star Trek". Shoulda kept it.

K.

P.S. Was the A side for your "Joe Lewis" the Uniques "Lonely For Your Love"?

Didn't know Kickland had another LP...what year? I have an Ed Johnson LP from '77 which is decent folk.

It's from '80 and is pretty straight down home hippie folk-blues.....doing covers of classic/trad tunes.......good for what it is, but not anywhere near as interesting as the Clay County.

• LordNOLordNO 202 Posts

Jeru- Sun rises in the East promo
    Kool G , DJ Polo- Men at Work
    Yusef Lateef - s/t Cadet 1967
    John Coltrane and Rasheed Ali- Interstellar Regions
    Pucho and his Latin Soul Brothers- Superfreak 1992 japanese re
    Willie Henderson and Soul Explosions- Funky Chicken
    8-up- Ya don't quit/ lie down and stay calm white12"

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts

ahh! you bought my earl haywood... JA Lounge singing in hebrew and chinese?

was the axelrod reissue still there?

c

[quoteJA Lounge singing in hebrew and chinese? /

was the axelrod reissue still there?

c
    Weird one for sure

nope, no axelrods

• We had a record swap at the store today...got some stuff.

2 year old local recording just put on vinyl.

Got these great promo pics...you should have seen what the guy wouldn't sell me. All Memphis.

And finally...the only none Stax or HI related pic. My come up of the year!!!