What other music icons deserve their own movie?

2»

Comments

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,087 Posts
    Fat Joe and 50 Cent

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    -Marvin Gaye (#1 choice)

-Al Green (hot grits )

-Little Richard

-James Brown

-Public Enemy

-Bootsy Collins and or Parliament/George Clinton

-Phil Muthafuckin Spector

-Bowie

-Talking Heads

I would say Sam Cooke, but I think they would fuck it up.
    Peace
    T.N.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    [quotePhil Muthafuckin SpectorT.N.
    He ain't done writing his story yet.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Not so long ago, I was convinced I would be writing screenplays for a living at some point, and put a little work into it. These days, it's just another daydream like winning $50,000 on a scratch ticket or dating the girl who makes the ice cream cakes at my job...ANYWAY, for years I contemplated a film on Coltrane, focusing on a ten-year period, from 1955 and him joining up with Miles, to kicking the habit in 57 and finding God, working with Monk and going solo at the end of the fifties, crossing over with "My Favorite Things," leading up to "A Love Supreme" in 1965 as his greatest statement.

Lately, I've been more interested in trying to write the story of this guy:

His is an amazingly interesting & tragic story, and as a film could be an opportunity for a young actor to blow the spot up, although I have been working more towards telling it in print initially, than trying to make a screenplay from the jump off.

Not so long ago, I was convinced I would be writing screenplays for a living at some point, and put a little work into it. These days, it's just another daydream like winning $50,000 on a scratch ticket or dating the girl who makes the ice cream cakes at my job...ANYWAY, for years I contemplated a film on Coltrane, focusing on a ten-year period, from 1955 and him joining up with Miles, to kicking the habit in 57 and finding God, working with Monk and going solo at the end of the fifties, crossing over with "My Favorite Things," leading up to "A Love Supreme" in 1965 as his greatest statement.

Lately, I've been more interested in trying to write the story of this guy:

His is an amazingly interesting & tragic story, and as a film could be an opportunity for a young actor to blow the spot up, although I have been working more towards telling it in print initially, than trying to make a screenplay from the jump off.

Thats Frankie Lymon?

What a talent! Most music bio pics have the artist dying at the top of their carrer. I'm under the impression that Frankie was a tragic figure by the time he died. Im, not saying it wouldn't be a great movie, cause I think it would. He was really a shooting star.

Seems he wrote that one song. Why Do Fools can stand right next to anything Spector, Goffin, King, Leiber, Stoller wrote.

at first I thought that was Little Willie John, his story would also be a great tragic movie.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    at first I thought that was Little Willie John, his story would also be a great tragic movie.

you know what they say, always go with your first guess - it is Little Willie John.

I think a Frankie Lymon movie may have been made for TV or something...it sounds familiar...and his story would make for a good film...I hope I get my shit together and write about LWJ sooner rather than later...

you know what they say, always go with your first guess - it is Little Willie John.

I think a Frankie Lymon movie may have been made for TV or something...it sounds familiar...and his story would make for a good film...I hope I get my shit together and write about LWJ sooner rather than later...

Little Willie John is a better movie I think. I think it's important his story gets told. I hate to play into the whole rap=violence, but I can see the rapper/actors lining up to play him right now.

Is there any film footage of LWJ? I've never seen it, and I've seen lots of old archival stuff.

• ArchaicArchaic 633 Posts
    Not sure who could play these dudes, but:

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Dr. Dre (okay okay give it another 20-30 years)

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

Perfect.

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    i'd like to see one on lee scratch perry, always been quite fascinated of his history.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

Yes, this has been done already. "Why Do Fools Fall In Love". Not a tv movie, it was in the theatres. Dude from "Menace To Society", can't think of his name. Also I think Vivica Fox, Lela Rochon, a few others.
    And the 50 Cent life story is filming as we speak, starring 50 of course.

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    I'd like to see the following:

Lester Young -- what would be really cool for the movie would be the love story between him and Billie Holiday. If you haven't seen this footage of them performing together about three weeks before both of them died, you need to track it down as fast as you can. Amazing, heartbreaking, joy.

Kraftwerk/Tangerine Dream -- just cause. Cool robot music. German weirdos. Weird subgenre of a people. Technopop.

Bill Evans -- This guy was so many different things. I think it would be a good place to explore some of the race issues of the time.

They need to make a better movie about Beethoven.

I think a John Cage movie would be kind of fun.

Cosign on coltrane, though I'm not sure how I'd feel about an actor doing him. I'd feel better about an actor M. Davis, but for some reason, I'm not sure I could take an actor playing Coltrane.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    I seriously think Master P's life would make a crazy movie. His real life I mean, not all that Da last don B.S. I mean moving from new orleans to california to sell cds out the trunk of his car to his worldwide explosion and his family life. To all of his former artists being dead or in jail.

And basicly that whole story is crazy to me. Like A southern gangster rap version of motown.

Im sure P will get around to making it eventually, and I expect it to be just as quality as all his other flicks.

• funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts
    Fuck a movie about Robert Johnson. I love the man's music but his story is about a paragraph long. The bluesmen that REALLY deserve a movie -

Son House[/b]

Skip James[/b]

Both of whom had amazing life stories.

And of course this man:

BTW Denzel is way to old for Sam Cooke but he might be able to pull off Trane..

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Marvin Gaye
    Jaco Pastorious
    Albert Ayler
    Muddy Waters

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts

Jaco Pastorious

• ShingalingShingaling 877 Posts
    Remeember those 8 bars of "A Change is gonna come" from Malcolm X? that shit ran Spike a half a million to use.

This scene is what made me think of Denzel as Sam Cooke.

Cosign on coltrane, though I'm not sure how I'd feel about an actor doing him. I'd feel better about an actor M. Davis, but for some reason, I'm not sure I could take an actor playing Coltrane.

Miles Davis played by a slimed downed and tanned Jeffery Wright.

Figured it out:

Played by:

Will Smith as Curtis Mayfield
    Will Smith as Miles
    Will Smith as Coltrane
    Will Smith and cgi as Last Poets
    Will Smith as Stevie Wonder
    Will Smith as Spooky Tooth
    Will Smith as Axelrod
    Will Smith and muppets as Cold Crush Bros'