THIS BAND DOWNSTAIRS SUCKS!!!

Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
So there is a recording studio underneath my shop. There has been a rock band in there rehearsing after hours, which is fine by me. But today they started recording - and they started early. You know, it's a record store, I shouldn't care, or at least should be forgiving, but they SUCK... oh god how they suck. They're really, really bad. I just called my landlord, who operates the studio... he paid lip service but the engineer just came up and said "we were scheduled for all day but we'll cut it after another two hours."ICE GRILL

Comments

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    try living in bushwick for a year. I had a hard rock band above me and one right next door.
    the band above me, the drummer couldnt keep a fucking beat. He pushed every single beat. It made me nervous and uptight. Did I mention they only practiced like three different songs? Finally I couldnt take it anymore, I slipped a James Brown 45 under their door with a note to the drummer "Dear drummer, for the love of god and my own sanity, please listen to this. Stop pushing every beat. Im going crazy down here."

ah sunset park.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    They "haven't finished soundproofing yet"... I am playing rap music very loud. Maybe we can strike a deal.

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    They "haven't finished soundproofing yet"...

yeah.

unfortunately they will have to actually build walls and create airspace to fully "soundproof." something tells me they do not plan on doing that. all the egg crates in the world ain't gonna prevent that crap from coming through the walls. sorry.

i bet they aren't as bad as the band i had to record this weekend as a favor to a client. his 16 year old has a band that tries to play blues/rock or something. it was utterly horrible. and i had to do it for free.

i feel your pain.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I feel ya..we are next door to a guitar shop, we get the walls rattled by dudes trying to play "enter sandman" and "crazy train"...

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

yeah.

unfortunately they will have to actually build walls and create airspace to fully "soundproof." something tells me they do not plan on doing that. all the egg crates in the world ain't gonna prevent that crap from coming through the walls. sorry.

i bet they aren't as bad as the band i had to record this weekend as a favor to a client. his 16 year old has a band that tries to play blues/rock or something. it was utterly horrible. and i had to do it for free.

i feel your pain.

Sorry to hear that.

I used to have a downstairs nieghbor who liked to come home drunk at 2AM and practice his bass. He was not good, but he did like to play loud. He was also cool about turning it down when I asked. I also had to suffer througha "gay after hours techno dj"(his words not mine) who's only gigs consisted of parties in his apartment. This guy was a cokehead who always wanted to discuss his "lifestyle" and how he should be able to play loud techno versions of cher at 4AM.

• meshmesh 925 Posts

yeah.

i feel your pain.

Sorry to hear that.

I used to have a downstairs nieghbor who liked to come home drunk at 2AM and practice his bass. He was not good, but he did like to play loud. He was also cool about turning it down when I asked. I also had to suffer througha "gay after hours techno dj"(his words not mine) who's only gigs consisted of parties in his apartment. This guy was a cokehead who always wanted to discuss his "lifestyle" and how he should be able to play loud techno versions of cher at 4AM.

you told me about that guy. sucks.

while were complaining about neighbors, i live next door to an 80s bar! they share a wall with my bedroom! they have an obnoxiously loud sound system! YAY!

yeah.

i feel your pain.

Sorry to hear that.

while were complaining about neighbors, i live next door to an 80s bar! they share a wall with my bedroom! they have an obnoxiously loud sound system! YAY!

Dude you win. Good thing you live at the studio.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    try living in bushwick for a year. I had a hard rock band above me and one right next door.
    the band above me, the drummer couldnt keep a fucking beat. He pushed every single beat. It made me nervous and uptight. Did I mention they only practiced like three different songs? Finally I couldnt take it anymore, I slipped a James Brown 45 under their door with a note to the drummer "Dear drummer, for the love of god and my own sanity, please listen to this. Stop pushing every beat. Im going crazy down here."

So what was the outcome? Did he get the hint?

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Those upping the Jesus Rock genre in that other thread oughta be subjected to the halfassed bullshit coming from the Christian youth center on the other side of the wall from my local rap vinyl shop... I was shocked last time I was there to hear a dude actually playing on beat

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

So what was the outcome? Did he get the hint?

I'm thinking that he got no response.

But I can top you all. My upstairs neighbor

played

banjo

poorly

at 2:30 AM.
    And it was always a banjified version of the same Beatles song. The song he'd put on behind him loudly to play to, pausing to start the CD track over when he fucked up. This was quite often. Several times, he'd bring over FRIENDS and they'd play guitar poorly along with him.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts

yeah.

i feel your pain.

Sorry to hear that.

jeezus...i don't know how yall could take that!

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts

my story is sort of complicated but rewarding so bear with me.

baltimore, 1990-1. going to college. me+roomate live in a killer (big modern cheap) apt in a semi shady area - like a recent attempt at gentrification so the apt is modern but the hood's very iffy and therfore: inexpensive but sweet apt. My bedroom is huge and on the basement level (it IS the basement, but fully finished)

neighbor also seems to have a basement. neighbor is a well dressed black man in his mid 30s. definitely gay and definitely loves his house music, and like the "gay after hours techno dj", loves to host dance parties any night of the week, where what sounded like 10-15 other young men would come over for some serious loud ass danceathons/possible-to-likely sexathons (deduced from the occasional whoops groans and assorted sfx). THUMPATHUMPATHUMPATHUMPA, with the cher/communards/hadaway style vox. His 'discotheque' was in...the basement. one thin wall away from my bed.

the funniest thing was how each party would 'climax' with a VERY loud airing of The Bangles' "Eternal Flame". You know " Close your eyes, give me your hand, darling, Do you feel my heart beating? Do you understand, Do you feel the same?
    Am I only dreaming? Is this burning an eternal flame?" If that wasnt amusing/infuriating enough, to cap it off we could hear a clear proud chorus of 10-15 lisping (no homophobia - the lisping was clear and pretty funny in retrospect) men SINGING ALONG falsetto with the whole song.

and then theyd do it again.

and again.

I recall one night they did it TWELVE TIMES.

now college is a time of crazy hours, and i did keep them, but cmon, many nights you gotta get up early for class. sleep is at a premium. i understood and tolerated the house thumping on weekends, but on weekdays, insane with no sleep, i had to take action.

'action' was a 8 foot long thick cardboard tube that once had canvas rolled on it. Several full wind up baseball swats on the wall with that sucker at 5 AM broke the party up nicely.

Heres the other funny part.

Concurrent to the above experiences, my roomate was expecting a new ATM card from the bank. It never came, and he was intending on calling them and asking what happened. Before he did that, he got a call from the bank one day, and could he come down to the branch to answer some questions?

Turns out they accused him of depositing $25K in bad checks at ATMs around the city and withdrawing the cash from them immediately (this is back when you could still withdrawl off something you just deposited even if your account couldnt cover it without the new deposit - maybe you can still do this, but back then i guess there was no limit?), and that was a serious fraud charge - jail time. My roomate said wait i never even got that ATM card. Cant be me. They let him go, scheduling an appt the next day when theyd have the photos from the cameras in the ATMs. If it was him, there would be proof.

The next day, he goes down, confident that he will be exonerated. Sure enough, they pull out the photos, and its not my roomate. In all 7 cases, its the same dude. Hmmm thats funny, it looks exactly like... our house music bangles loving neighbor!

This is back when your PIN # came in the SAME envelope as your ATM card. Our mailboxes were not lockable. You can guess the rest.

Needless to say, it wasnt long before the cops came and politely told him they had a warrant for his arrest. In the interceeding days, we just kept to ourselves, hoping not to let him on to the fact that we knew the scoop. I didnt bang on the wall once, just let him party away, Bangles and all. And then...the music stopped.

to this day, when i hear 'eternal flame' or even some 1989 style house music, i have funny flashbacks.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts

ah sunset park.

hahaha, i love this

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    my neighbour practices banjo outdoors in his backyard.. he's actually really good... serious blue grass steeze.. sometimes a bunch of his buddies come by ( agood once o twice a week al lsummer long) and they have serious pickin sessions, sing alongs and what have you.

its actualyl quite pleasant

my neighbour practices banjo outdoors in his backyard.. he's actually really good... serious blue grass steeze.. sometimes a bunch of his buddies come by ( agood once o twice a week al lsummer long) and they have serious pickin sessions, sing alongs and what have you.

Yeah, this would not bother me at all. I used to have a really good trumpet player who live across the street from me in philly and on nice days he would lean out the window and just play. He had a really nice sound. It was really cool to sit out front with a beer and listen to him play, because gradually you would see people up and down the street start leaning out there windows to listen. Sadly, after a while some asshole would always lean out his window and tell the guy to shut up. To which the whole street would shoot him the .

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    my story is sort of complicated but rewarding so bear with me...

...to this day, when i hear 'eternal flame' or even some 1989 style house music, i have funny flashbacks.

Beautiful story, beautifully written.

Im off to listen to the bangles...

Actually, i think ill just perv at Susanna Hoffs photos instead.

so then i went and googled her and she looks like this...

i used to think she was so hot...

footnote: check the name of the site i found the picture on

Jew crew in the house.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    There's a blind guy next door to me that plays competent Dire Straits riffs and generic fretboard runs on his guitar from ~6:00-8:00 pm every night. It comes through my kitchen wall when I'm making/eating dinner. Could be worse.

• bobbydeebobbydee 849 Posts
    My cousin Matt lives in a nice house with his (mostly) senile grandmother in a flat underneath. Upside? Rent is only like $50 a week. Downside? When she gets drunk she sings "rock lobster" continously (guitar riffs and all).

The oddest part is it's really not a song that you would expect someone in their 70's to latch on to, as it came out after the time in her life that most people stop "paying attention" to new music.

After crashing there a few times, ive been sitting in the car with Matt waiting for lights, and we'll just look at each other and both bust into the opening riff

• When she gets drunk she sings "rock lobster" continously (guitar riffs and all).

Please post mp3.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

Yeah, this would not bother me at all. I used to have a really good trumpet player who live across the street from me in philly and on nice days he would lean out the window and just play. He had a really nice sound. It was really cool to sit out front with a beer and listen to him play, because gradually you would see people up and down the street start leaning out there windows to listen. Sadly, after a while some asshole would always lean out his window and tell the guy to shut up. To which the whole street would shoot him the .

See... I like doses of banjo when the instrument is played well. But my former upstairs neighbor was not as well-versed in the Arts That Are Bluegrass. The instrument is very hard to play - I know - but it's also one of those instruments that sounds like shit unless you're pretty damn versed. Like the bagpipes.

Loe-Fiegh Banjjjo Noodling, anyone?