Minimalist Music at the Disney Hall (dont sleep)

anthonypearsonanthonypearson 2,442 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
the program is staggering. the tickets are in most cases only $10. Reich, Branca, Part, Monk Glass, Cage. this is going to be off the hinges.i was told by some high ups that this program is a one shot. these peices of music will most likely never be performed again in such a series. let's face it... this ain't bach and vavaldi. this is some obscure shit that does not exactly pack em' in. so get your ass down there for the performances. a good turnout will insure that things like this keep happening in major halls.$10 tickets. I bought a bunch to three different performances today.Branca: Symphony No. 13 for 100 electric guitars, Hallucination City...http://wdch.laphil.com/minimalism/

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    FUCK!

Why couldn't this have happened last year?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I am gonna trade Rape_Donkeys to Dan900282787298 for a copy of "Sound Of Collapsing Bricks", all so he can see this. I think his svelt frame will fit in a standard record mailer.

• dsandersdsanders 495 Posts
    Not to be a hater, but the programs are a little 'stuffy'. NYC has fresher stuff in this area of music happening on the regular with no fanfare, fancy hall, or fuss.

Haha - hi JP.

• FUCK!

Why couldn't this have happened last year?

hey dude come down to LA. you can dig in atascadero on the way down. the program will be going on all week. major tee pee smoke stack at my studio before the branca. we can walk to the hall from our studio on west 2nd street. i can hardly contain myself. 100 guitars. talk about facemelt.

Granted, Branca will be cool.

• merideth monk will fry your brain off.

deal with it you sexist and homophobic backpackers.

if likes skip spence oar he's gonna love this stuff.

disney hall, next week batches.

be there or be a total butthole.

be there or be a total butthole.

Or both.

• i have a butthole and will be there. it is going to be a meeting of the minds. my ass with the music of steve reich. look for me. i will be the guy in the nosebleed seats with the lizard eye. i am sorry to say the weekend reich performance is expensive so it was nosebleed all the way. the weekday performaces are $10. branca will melt your face. if you guys dont go to this you are the biggest backpackers ever.
    ap

OK. Meeting of the minds (with optional buttholes, nosebleed, and sizzling doo doo). I'll be there.

• lets face it... lamonte young records are as rare as a penguin in the desert. i need to get with that shit. real headz know the deal. this dude i know who was living in NY once chilled with lamonte. he says he is one bad mutha.

• Not to be a hater, but the programs are a little 'stuffy'. NYC has fresher stuff in this area of music happening on the regular with no fanfare, fancy hall, or fuss.

Haha - hi JP.

yea the disney hall is a little but of a buttcramp but the sound and scale is just right. im excited. lets do this!

• i know this will tarnish my "big dude status" but what is good here? all of it i'm sure. it all sounds interesting, the minimalist art and architecture movements really resonate with me, but i haven't much knowledge on minimalist music, nor an unlimited budget.

reading the brief by john adams hasn't really helped the selection process. it did make me feel better that though i don't know about minimalist music, he doesn't seem to know about minimalist architecture...

...or the uncluttered lines of Richard Meyer's Getty Museum may all be textbook cases of [minimalism]

calling the getty center minimal is like calling shell corporate headquarters minimal. boring is not minimal, office park not minimal... anyways.

i was planning on checking out the two $10 nights just to get the concert hall experience and architectural mind melt.

what else is not to be missed minimalist music action?

i know this will tarnish my "big dude status" but what is good here?

see Terry Riley.

• spaceghost.

here is my opinion...

Reich is one of my favorite dudes from the movement. He basically makes this altered states shit where he places a trance on you by using symmetry and repetition and restricted instrumentation.

In example a bunch of heads with marimbas repeating the same pattern until your face melts. Or the one that I am for sure going to is the four organs one. I have the record on nonsuch. It is kind of like a mad hip hop loop in an odd way.

The Branca thing is the one that everyone wants to go to. Basically it is a symphony for 100 electric guitars. Think about that for a minute. When have you ever heard 100 electric guitars at once! incredible.

I am going to Sunday afternoon and then Wed. and Thurs. nights.

A lot of good stuff I am going to miss though.

This Meredith Monk woman is really interesting.

I am thinking about having a few people over to my studio before the branca since my studio is down the street. Hit me up.

ap

• i know this will tarnish my "big dude status" but what is good here?

see Terry Riley.

yea... Terry Riley. A lunitic bald hippie with some facemelt action for sure.

Yeah, steve reich is sick too. damn - all that stuff is good.

• my friend once played me something by part. it was super mellow and emo sensitive. sunday night is monk and part but i do not know if it is $10.

i already chalked up to pay for the reich program sunday at 2pm. nosebleed for $35.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    wish I could go

sounds like a nose bleeding, face melting, blood shitting good time

John Adams is not to my taste - pretentious pseudo-opera IMHO so I won't defend that.

I don't know much about minimalist architecture either but the point of this music to me is that by listening to what superficially appears to be boring music (repetitive but subtly shifting) you can hear some really interesting things happen. Although sometimes the surface aspects of the music also sound great. You might say the same for tribal drumming or music from other genres...

• you can go... just get in your car and start driving south. you can stop in humbolt on the way and pick up some bloody you know what. you can dig for records too, maybe find a copy of some eureka horn rock private issue number. by the time you get to LA you will be ready to listen to 6 straight days of minimalist music. then you can drive home with you face melted. do it or your soft.

ap

• i agree with dan90210. i do not think minimalist music is really all that related to minimal architecture or art except for the fact that there is something essential and kind of primal about it. now we are not talking about a venice beach drum circle here. we are talking about some serious heads. this shit has some rigor to it.

• i have not found a john adams record i like either. his shit is acclaimed but it bugs hard as far as i can tell.

Actually, I don't think Branca is generally described as Minimalist. I guess they've just thrown him in there to make it all fit.

you can go... just get in your car and start driving south. you can stop in humbolt on the way and pick up some bloody you know what. you can dig for records too, maybe find a copy of some eureka horn rock private issue number. by the time you get to LA you will be ready to listen to 6 straight days of minimalist music. then you can drive home with you face melted. do it or your soft.

ap

yeah, dude, pick me up on the way down. I'm 3 hrs south of humboldt.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Minimalist Jukebox is the TRUF!

I heard them talking about this on KCRW, I think I need to be pro-active on this shit. AP give me a call

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    looks like a cool series.

I saw Steve Reich perform Music for 18 Musicians maybe 6 years ago at the SF opera house while there for a summer. It was gorgeous.

He performed a newer piece which was awful afterwards.
    1/2 wasn't bad.

Tehilim is a beautiful composition. Perhaps all those L.A. Kabbalah celebrity phonies will turn out for it.

too bad Reich isn't doing the conducting/performing himself.

• progbeatzprogbeatz 451 Posts
    I'm bummed that I can't see some of these performances.Oh well,but this my shit right here though.

• awallawall 673 Posts
    oh shit, i'm going to have to come down for this. if nothing else for the branca performance alone, though i'd like to make it for the reich, maybe stay for that piano spheres and the terry riley if it's not too pricey. spring break ya'll

and for clarification Branca is usually considered a post minimalist...he certainly uses some of the same tactics in compostion (repitition, use of long tones). this is a good book to check if you're interested in the connection

collection of very well informed interviews with all of the big four (the la monte young/marian zazeela one is particularly fascinating) as well as folks like branca, meridith monk (even fucking john zorn), in addition to early experimentalists like cage.

• branca:

dan90210 and i were there along with others. dick chaney on drums. those guitar playing folls brought the house down.