Current UK "guitar" groups. Opionions?

Campag_RecordCampag_Record 238 Posts
edited November 2015 in Music Talk
Hi, what's the view of fellow strutters on UK bands along the lines of The Zutons, The Coral, The Bees, Doves, Supergrass, The Magic Numbers? All decent output IMHO (and a lot more lesser known stuff also breaking through).Personally I can't getaway with the whole Baby Shambles, Artic Monkeys, The Killers, (Kaiser Chiefs I don't mind) etc "Buzzcocks sound" that seems to get most of the media attention.That said it makes for a interesting music scene in the UK but I don't hear anything coming out of the States to rival this stuff (certainly if the Grammy awards are anything to go by )Thanks for your thoughts/recommendations.

Comments

• I enjoy hearing the Zutons and the Bees on the radio. Don't own anything by 'em, but I stop and turn it up when I hear them. Same with Art Brut ("Emily Kane" being one of the best pop-love songs evar written...no ayo.)

I think the best of those groups is/was the now defunct McClusky. Top notch. Great songs, funny, sharp...
    Plus, they're flying the Cymru flag.

Don't get down with the Bravery, Killers, Kaisers, et boring al. Franz F. is aiight.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I don't hear anything coming out of the States to rival this stuff (certainly if the Grammy awards are anything to go by )

Who wants to rival that.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    The Coral - invisible invasion is really good.. i hated their earlier stuff but this record is firing on all fronts

Doves - ditto.. though the earlier records were over blown and hyped out the yin yang but Some Cities is very very good...

both of those records have very killer and ecclectic production

Supergrass - honestly i cant even believe these dudes are stil laround... i saw their new video awhile back and they just sound like bland lie rock these days... havent doen anything decent since the first record.

The Magic Numbers - i havent seen a band this ugly sincee the screaming trees... i cant go there

Baby Shambles, Artic Monkeys, The Killers, Kaiser Chiefs are all absolute dreck.. bloody shite as they say over there

if your looking for a north american straight up guitar rock band you'd best to check out Wolf Parade from montreal.. they're pretty fucking solid and no nonesense

• if your looking for a north american straight up guitar rock band you'd best to check out Wolf Parade from montreal.. they're pretty fucking solid and no nonesense

Saw these guys open for Modest Mouse a couple years back, and the were ok.

Heard a song of their's on radio last December for a "Best of '05" countdown. Total . Bought the record that night. Great rock record. Cosign all the way.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Hi, what's the view of fellow strutters on UK bands along the lines of The Zutons, The Coral, The Bees, Doves, Supergrass, The Magic Numbers? All decent output IMHO (and a lot more lesser known stuff also breaking through).

Personally I can't getaway with the whole Baby Shambles, Artic Monkeys, The Killers, (Kaiser Chiefs I don't mind) etc "Buzzcocks sound" that seems to get most of the media attention.

That said it makes for a interesting music scene in the UK but I don't hear anything coming out of the States to rival this stuff (certainly if the Grammy awards are anything to go by )

Thanks for your thoughts/recommendations.
    You do know that the Killers are a US band right? Anyways, most of those bands are pretty crap, although I saw the Magic Numbers recently (they aren't from the UK either) & they were pretty OK live.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Aztec Camera

Fire Engines

Josef K.

Orange Juice

• ja_bruceja_bruce 295 Posts
    what, no Bloc Party, I'm out. I haven't hear the new Supergrass the whole way through but I did like a couple songs off Road to Rouen. I downloaded the Artic Monkeys just to see what all the hype was about and I am still wondering. I like the Wolf Parade but sometimes dudes voice starts to get to me. "We built another world"
    gets rotation. I like some Autolux, are they British? And also Wolfmother a trio from Australia, I believe, reminds me of Led Zeppelin in parts, heavy stuff. Oh, and I really really like Bloc Party.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Guitars are so fucking over.

This was the last thing I heard that gave hope to contemporary guitar playing, but that was 7 years ago.

Now when I see some terd with a guitar, I'm out.

yea hbloc party are good

Maximo Park are really good

autolux are from LA

but also good

dungen are good too

Sereena Mannesh

but if we are allowing all these non uk bands the BEST rock band right now is Black Mountain... AWESOME..see also pink mountaintops

dude is on point right now

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Wasn't Oasis posed to be the next Stones? That was about the time I bagan to yawm at all these "great UK guitar bands" being featured in Mojo or some Guy Ritchiesque non-chin crime caper.

• Wasn't Oasis posed to be the next Stones? That was about the time I bagan to yawm at all these "great UK guitar bands" being featured in Mojo or some Guy Ritchiesque non-chin crime caper.

These "new" UK guitar bands are for people that forget (or never experienced) the years 1975 - 1985....

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Wasn't Oasis posed to be the next Stones? That was about the time I bagan to yawm at all these "great UK guitar bands" being featured in Mojo or some Guy Ritchiesque non-chin crime caper.

These "new" UK guitar bands are for people that forget (or never experienced) the years 1975 - 1985....

Basically

Even the ones that are okay are so highly derivative of the classics that they're completely unneccessary

Bloc Party is absolutely depressing

There's always decent bands to be found underground worldwide however...

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    The Bees - Free the Bees is the most over looked and under rated album of last year. I believe there is a Madlib remix of one of the singles. The song writing is insane plus the record was recorded at Abbey road and it sounds incredible.

http://www.myspace.com/thebeesofficial

• Imperial_MaoImperial_Mao 1,119 Posts

nah man guitars are back

im gonna get me a les paul and fire that bitch UP

are you guys living in 2002 or some shit?

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    Once you've been around the block a couple times it's really hard to care what the latest crop of bedhead hipsters have come up with...

"What has been is what will be,
    and what has been done is what will be done,
    and there is nothing new under the sun."

ecclesiastes 1:9

wuddeva dudes

it is an equal falicy to deride something for being too old and it is to deride something to being too new

i have a big problem with people who's entire taste drops off at some randomly derived date

but hey if you wanna live in the "butterfunk" era or some shit be my guest.

music is in constant evolution and it has been that way since the begining.. people build on what came before, break what is established as the norm, champion the status quo.. whatever it really doesnt matter

there will always be good things and bad things.. regardless of whether it involves a guitar

• gibla74gibla74 182 Posts
    Having to listen to mainstream radio everyday at work I have developed a hattred for most of these guitar bands.
    The Coral have had a couple of nice ones, The zutons can write a catchy tune.
    It's all about the Bee's though. Little baz are nice too.
    Super furries.
    Belle & Seb.

• blurtblurt 1 Post
    boys!! what about busted??

seriously though, blocparty are okay - the drummer is excellent.
    maximo park, again, are okay but nothing to write home about. (warp's attempt to hit a mainstream audience)
    but apart from the bees, nothing of this kind has really influenced me since radiohead and blur.

"chicken! pay the chicken back, back. pay the chicken back, payback the chicken back, do the chicken payback"

• ZomBZomB 397 Posts
    I really lost alot of intrest in the indie scene after oasis' 2nd album. Things got pretty weak after that. I like the coral & the zutons & thats pretty much it.

http://www.jimnoir.com/

Check out this guys album (tower of love), my friend kinda knows him & hes just started to get some mainstream recognition here in the uk.
    Its a great album with a phsychelic flavour sounding a bit like the beach boys in places & its got some really nice catchy songs, check it out.

• You do know that the Killers are a US band right? Anyways, most of those bands are pretty crap, although I saw the Magic Numbers recently (they aren't from the UK either) & they were pretty OK live.
    Sorry about The Killers, I didn't know that (nor about The Magic Numbers...where are they from?)

I'm kinda out of touch with a lot of the current stuff (when it's choice between spending money on 60/70's stuff or modern, the older stuff wins everytime).

Agreed, The Bees 2nd LP is a great LP.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Anyone for Editors, Hard-Fi or Razorlight?

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    Lewis Taylor is a virtual one-man band. Check this LP out for some excellent guitar playing (much different than and equally good as the soul material he's better known for):

SG

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    Hard-Fi

Currently touring the west coast now and ending their headliner tour at Coachella.

See them live......they can rock with the best of them. And they're a top bunch o'fellas too.

Oh and check out The Capes too on HardSoul Records.

Out of South London, but signed exclusively to this US based label. Again, killer live set.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    You do know that the Killers are a US band right? Anyways, most of those bands are pretty crap, although I saw the Magic Numbers recently (they aren't from the UK either) & they were pretty OK live.
    Sorry about The Killers, I didn't know that (nor about The Magic Numbers...where are they from?)

Somewhere in Scandanavia.
    I actually don't mind that band The Thrills, I have that first album with 'Santa Cruz' on it, anyone else like them? I heard their next album was pretty good too.

• Somewhere in Scandanavia.
    I actually don't mind that band The Thrills, I have that first album with 'Santa Cruz' on it, anyone else like them? I heard their next album was pretty good too.
    Yeah I've only got the 1st LP, never heard the 2nd LP.

I like my harmony groups. Teenage Fanclub and Cosmic Rough Riders still do it for me.

Anyone remember Shack/Michael Head & The Strands? Great stuff I thought, especially The Strands with its Arthur Lee/Love sound.

• JBCJBC 25 Posts
    I like the Rakes.

Although they sound exactly like you would expect a group from the scene to sound.

And they look exactly like you would expect a group from the scene to look.

Thought the album stood up well though, and the new single, 'All Too Human', is nice.