RECORDS YOU WISH WEREN'T SKATED EVERYTIME (RR)

2»

Comments

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    ...I'll put up half the money for it.

I'll leave it to someone with motivation & ambition to capitalize on my solid gold idea.

just like that 'gospel funk comp' thing.

double-

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts
    Any and all Brazilian records.

• doeizmdoeizm 77 Posts
    buy em up fellas, i'll take em! seriously, i'll pay $1 ea for solid titles (and more for the uber raers) as long as the labels are good and the recs aren't warped badly...

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    buy em up fellas, i'll take em! seriously, i'll pay $1 ea for solid titles (and more for the uber raers) as long as the labels are good and the recs aren't warped badly...

oh schnaaps!

• CaMKIIaCaMKIIa 269 Posts

Glad I got good copies of both, Donny totally underated genius.

in any collection...

could donny hathaway really be considered an underrated genius though? every soul/jazz enthusiast (read: a few dudes at a record store and my girlfriend) i've talked to seems to recognize the necessity. but then again, most of my friends listen to 87-94 black/death stuff (og mayhem deathcrush = ), so i'm not really immersed in the soul collectro scene.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    Any and all Brazilian records.

Most of the Brazilian and Latin American stuff I've found is visibly beat up, but sound like VG+ regardless, so I don't mind. That Odeon and Discos Fuentes vinyl, especially, is built to last.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

I sold some beat the fuck up blue notes and crownless JB kings on eBay years ago for like $10-15 each. I was very clear: "these records are scratched and not playable" Just to see. They left positive feedback. So, whatever.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

not to mention when my roommate found about 15 james brown joints in a dumpster behind a record store.

Many old-school record dealer cats consider JB albums valueless,
    I guess because they have seen so many pass through the shops
    over the decades - one dude I used to buy 45's from would always
    throw in the JB ones for free "you can just have those" and this other
    store where almost nothing was ever bargain priced would put shrinkwrapped
    copies of "Sho Is Funky Down Here" out for $6 ...

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts

I have 2 because both are so beat I can't figure out which one to trash.

honorable mention: any FANIA found in TX

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    ...and I have yet to find clean OG's of Sonics/Wailers LP's on Etiquette
    or ? & the Mysterians LP's on Cameo ... although I just copped a "VG+"
    copy of Action! on eBay for the unheard-of price of $12!!

CD-reissue market shift in effect??

• doeizmdoeizm 77 Posts
    yeah, most of the Blue Notes (especially the deep grooves) will play suprisingly well even when they look like death...

i was mainly refering to the more common titles that i can use to make coasters out of...also i'm not interested in the covers - keep those for SLEEVESTRUT!

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

not to mention when my roommate found about 15 james brown joints in a dumpster behind a record store.

This is definitely not the case down south!

If anything old record dudes around here overprice the stuff, pre-Polydor titles at least

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

This is definitely not the case down south!

If anything old record dudes around here overprice the stuff, pre-Polydor titles at least

Yeah, for as long as I can remember JB stuff--especially King releases--have been one of the few areas where the values of "the digga" and the crusty old collector intersect.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    honorable mention: any FANIA found in TX FL

• honorable mention: any FANIA found in TX FL

Someone said in a thread a while back that "those Fania Gold Labels are trucks," and I've gotta agree. My copy of "Acid" looks like hell, but there is MINIMAL noise in only two intros. To listen, the thing is VG+...I couldn't believe it when I heard it.

Agree on the Donny Hathaway. My copy of Everything Is Everything looks great, but plays like ass.

• doeizmdoeizm 77 Posts
    No FANIA found in NV

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

Donny (Hathaway is a) totally underated genius.

could donny hathaway really be considered an underrated genius though? every soul/jazz enthusiast (read: a few dudes at a record store and my girlfriend) i've talked to seems to recognize the necessity. but then again,

...as popular as he was in the early 70's, when i hear Donny on the radio, its either a duet with roberta flack, or it's the holiday season (at which time they dig up "this christmas"). NEVER any of his non-seasonal solo hits like "the ghetto." so...he's definitely underrated.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts

Donny (Hathaway is a) totally underated genius.

could donny hathaway really be considered an underrated genius though? every soul/jazz enthusiast (read: a few dudes at a record store and my girlfriend) i've talked to seems to recognize the necessity. but then again,

...as popular as he was in the early 70's, when i hear Donny on the radio, its either a duet with roberta flack, or it's the holiday season (at which time they dig up "this christmas"). NEVER any of his non-seasonal solo hits like "the ghetto." so...he's definitely underrated.

I'd say he's largly underappreciated amongst the general listening public.

, though.