RECORDS YOU WISH WEREN'T SKATED EVERYTIME (RR)

mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
edited November 2015 in Record Collecting
Any and all EARLY Meters LPsAny and all EARLY James Brown LPs

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Any and all Meters LPs

Hey, there's plenty of clean copies of
    "New Directions" out there ...

• Saw Food For Thought OG cover (from what I can tell) ripped in half at the Salvation Army this past weekend. No record in sight. Got zero finds out of 10+ crates.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    Any and all EARLY Meters LPs
    Any and all EARLY James Brown LPs

that's why one of my favorite records i got when i lived in San Diego was my copy of Live at the Apollo (5 bucks, Mission Hills record show, 1998) in very clean shape... i mean, that was THE party record back in the day...

• DJelV2000DJelV2000 322 Posts

Never fails...

• gravelheadwrapgravelheadwrap corn 948 Posts
    Got zero finds out of 10+ crates.

arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

i hear ya

• CaMKIIaCaMKIIa 269 Posts

NOT TRUE. FOUND IN SAN JOSE CA. SUPER CLEAN OG. STILL IN SHRINK. 7 DOLLARS. WORTH THOUSANDS MORE. LOVE IT.

that being said, i would someday like a clean copy of "donny hathaway live" to replace my dollar bin frisbee.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    You hardly ever see Curtis Mayfield's Roots with the perforated 1972 calendar intact.

NOT TRUE. FOUND IN SAN JOSE CA. SUPER CLEAN OG. STILL IN SHRINK. 7 DOLLARS. WORTH THOUSANDS MORE. LOVE IT.

that being said, i would someday like a clean copy of "donny hathaway live" to replace my dollar bin frisbee.

Thats funny, I seem to find "live" in good condition, and "Everything" FUCKED up...
    Both CLASSIC. Glad I got good copies of both, Donny totally underated genius.

in any collection...

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

Thats funny, I seem to find "live" in good condition, and "Everything" FUCKED up...
    Both CLASSIC. Glad I got good copies of both, Donny totally underated genius.

in any collection...

cosign on the donny. for some reason early kool and the gang is always found skated on!

Just found a live at the sex machine...

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    I remember going in to Goodwill one day and I found the motherload! However half the records weren't in the jackets and either cracked in half or extremely skated on. I put them all up like on a nice ass display before I left. I figured someone will come in and see that shit and go crazy.

• girgir 329 Posts

also, anything in bargin bins. why can't dudes just get over it and sell some vg+ in the dollar bins?

• I've had two copies of this, both skated to hell. Can't seem to find a good copy anywhere.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    For me its Johnny Colon's "Boogaloo '67." I have four copies, the last two I bought looked clean, no marks or scratches, but when I play them they got surface noise. ICE FUCKING GRILL. Good thing I've never paid more than $5 for a copy.

I also always find Donny Hathaway's "Live" clean, but "Everything is Everything" is always rinked.

• nrichnrich 932 Posts

Never fails...

I guess mine is the exception to the rule, looks like it was never played.

JB's and King records are notoriously bad about this, if these were played/enjoyed so much, how come they weren't taken better care of?
    And I am convinced most Tex-Mex records are actually pressed with scratches in them.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    My first choice was gonna be DONNY HATHAWAY LIVE... I've probably got three copies now and not one is clean

Curtis S/T is a contender as well, as are most of the Latin soul joints I see

I guess I'm lucky cuz most of the JB on King I find is in nice shape... there are popular Polydor titles that I've never even seen before though

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Kool and the Gang - s/t

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    Kool and the Gang - s/t

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    I wish every affordable copy of Forever Changes and Sticky Fingers I find isn't snap crackle poppalicious. I always see mint Donny Hathaways, and mint Meters records always seem to pop up on the bay.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    all records have flaws if you look close enough.

it's a flawed medium.

deal with it.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    all records have flaws if you look close enough.

it's a flawed medium.

deal with it.

You're speaking to collectros.

"it's a rare record, 1/3 of the song will still play... I gotta get $30..."

"it's a rare record, 1/3 of the song will still play... I gotta get $30..."

LOL

I should have you go through my collection and pick out the ones with hairline fractures I haven't seen yet.

"This is ALL the records you have?!?!"

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    And I am convinced most Tex-Mex records are actually pressed with scratches in them.

"This is ALL the records you have?!?!"

I was trying to give you the benefit of the doubt.

Having the Sex Machines goes a long way...but you won't be winning the 'Funk Arms Race(tm)' anytime soon...

you won't be winning the 'Funk Arms Race(tm)' anytime soon...

Can't argue with that.

Though there are quite a few liquor stores w/in walking distance.

LOL OMG

a combination ghetto liquor store / record buying front would be that next level shit - that way you wouldn't have to loiter in front of the store during the winter.

that would be even more hardcore than my record buying ice cream truck idea.

that would be even more hardcore than my record buying ice cream truck idea.

...I'll put up half the money for it.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Any and all EARLY Meters LPs

that's why one of my favorite records i got when i lived in San Diego was my copy of Live at the Apollo (5 bucks, Mission Hills record show, 1998) in very clean shape... i mean, that was THE party record back in the day...

$3 from a junk store on the west bank in nola.

not to mention when my roommate found about 15 james brown joints in a dumpster behind a record store.

...I'll put up half the money for it.

I'll leave it to someone with motivation & ambition to capitalize on my solid gold idea.

just like that 'gospel funk comp' thing.