richmond record show review pix

coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
change of local 48 hours before the show,yet these fools still managed to find us special appearance by 2 Richmond record slingin' legends"Pops" chatting with Mr Melvinalmost 200 years of record knowledge dropping between these two gents if you come all the way from Japan to dig,then get your dig on,many east coast & austin regulars may recognize Hiro,dude spent ALL day digging in Allentown saturday,f*cked up Arbutis in the morning & cleaned up in Richmond that afternoonhiro is my hero mad suspects, 7" dealer in safari hat& infamous dc dealer "Bingo" with bootleg dvd's.no kiss, lots of soul & jazz inna playboy after dark etc styleplayed real loud all day long, with the deejay tables competing,i was having a marc ballroom-new yorker-roosevelt flashback french canadian dude who is either drunck or brain damaged,trys to pull mad suspect trades that will never work& then dances like a fool & plays the french version of "hush"(which sounded very cool) everyone respects the 50 foot rulewhile Fatback previews possible purchases wtf ?make your own captions to this action shot series withCousin Larry, Fatback, DJ Lem & a wad of cash thanks to Sureshot & his crew & everyone else who turned upstand still is still standing

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

He is neither drunk nor brain damaged. He is just like that

I'm impressed he's making the rounds so much.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts

THATS MY DUDE! good to see he's still making the rounds. you should hear his grandson spit.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Man, the stateside record fairs always look so much cooler than our Austrlaian ones. Over here it's all stinky old men and... other stinky old men.

How come your fairs always look like frickin night clubs or clique parties, or digger conventions.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    pops is still at it????

where is l-n f-nk and c----g???

who the hell is coffin joe??????

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts

THATS MY DUDE! good to see he's still making the rounds. you should hear his grandson spit.

i hope we all are still in the game like pops & melvin when we hit 80 or 90,
    sonny boy was with gramps, digging for 12s

where is l-n f-nk and c----g???

craig & len

coolest dudes to spend a sunday in richmond with

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    Thanks to Fatback for reminding me that the show was happening. It was fun. Next time I am going to bring an all in one remote so I can turn of that dudes TV. If I want to watch old episodes of soul train with TLC I'll watch UPN at 3AM.

• Options

Is that other French Canadian guy (balding with glasses in the rear left) at all the stateside shows?

K.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    [QUOTE]

Is that other French Canadian guy (balding with glasses in the rear left) at all the stateside shows?

K. HAHAHAHA! it is. Raj, you rember that dude?? we kept calling him Waylan Smithers cause he had an extensive barbie collection at his crib.

• meshmesh 925 Posts
    i was gonna go to that shit but i got 0 $s right now. just transfered another 5 bills from my savings to live off of for a while. hope yall had some good finds!

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    i was gonna go to that shit but i got 0 $s right now. just transfered another 5 bills from my savings to live off of for a while. hope yall had some good finds!

You should have come just for the photo op. Yeah, I had a $20 limit, which doesn't go far at a show. Still got a few decent things on the cheap though.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

i hope we all are still in the game like pops & melvin when we hit 80 or 90,
    sonny boy was with gramps, digging for 12s

T*m,
    I can see it now....me, you Scott and VB sitting around at 80 turning a new generation of diggers on to insane sounds and reminiscing like "Remember when we could get a lb. of good smoke for $500"......"Remember when you could find Raers at every Goodwill"........"Remember when all the collectros thought I was the man"........."Remember when I was a man"

See you in a week or so......lemme know when you want to crash here.

Rich

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    you just scurred cause of what happened last time...

be intrepid in richmond parking lots

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

I was so deep in those Jamaican 45s, I didn't even notice any girl(s).

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    is that lonnie b??? >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>^^^^over there

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    [QUOTE]

K.
    Yep, that's Denis all right. Nice enough guy but he always treated me badly. I don't miss him at all.

• Options
    [QUOTE]

K.

Yep, that's Denis all right. Nice enough guy but he always treated me badly. I don't miss him at all.
    You get's no Barbie, dog?

K.

[QUOTE]

K.

You get's no Barbie, dog?

K. [/quote

Nope, no Barbies for me. Just some "I was in Utrecht before you were born so I everything about everything" attitude. Bullshit. I was buying Electric Ninja Groups sealed from his store for ten bucks a pop before he bought a computer and started charging GEMM prices for everything. When I left Montreal third pressings of crappy RCI titles (ie that violin jazz LP) were $75.

• Options
    Yeah, I noticed that last time I was at his place. BOught an AL Micalek and several other RCI things 4 years ago for $8 a pop, now he wants hundreds for the crappy ones.

Caught some good records at his store, but with plenty of time spent.

K.

is that lonnie b??? >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>^^^^over there

yup, dude cracks me up !

montrealites came down for the new haven ct show,
    finding it sold out, they came all the way to richmond
    driving past shows in springfield nj, pittsburgh pa & balto md,
    any one of which would have been closer & better for them

barbie doll dude sets up at fmu & utrecht, complains he can't make money there
    (what's wrong with this picture ?)
    he was only buying this weekend
    his buddy the drunk (i know he wasn't this time,
    but he was hitting the red vino hard at the last 2 shows when i had to deal with him)
    is funny !

mesh, i would have bought you a record & the parking lot was safe, no sign of delay about

yes there were several lady diggers, lucky me, they were buying reggae
    (even pulp fiction girl)

rich, i couldn't think of three better geezers to hang & discuss the good old daze with
    pencil me in for next weekend, 35 years from now !

• pittsburgh pa

this was not so good

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    montrealites

Those dudes had some good stuff that you don't see down here that often. Prices were OK. Every record I picked up, the "drunk" was mumbling something about how fucked up sounding it was and that I'd love the fucked up stuff. Finally, he ran me off with his fuckeduptedness. Not before I pulled a copy of Can "Soundtracks." The Barbie dude was eating Ukrops bologna and American "cheese" on white bread burger buns. I thought Quebfrogs had good taste in coldcuts and bread. NO?

• FSNSFSNS 163 Posts
    so deep in those Jamaican 45s
    Cosign.....

Thanks again T*m for the 45s and the

• girgir 329 Posts

You should have come just for the photo op. Yeah, I had a $20 limit, which doesn't go far at a show. Still got a few decent things on the cheap though.

my limit was $10 and i ended up getting there too late to come up on anything super duper good, but it was a chill lil show.

montrealites

I thought Quebfrogs had good taste in cold cuts and bread?

Quebfrogs. I like that.

Admittedly, I only spent five years in Quebec, so take the following opinion with a grain of salt.

A visit to Montreal will reveal that Quebec has a rich and unique culture which is at times tremendously refined. Walking through the city you will be charmed by bistros, chic restaurants, shops, and cafes. If you're so minded, you'll enjoy the the galleries, theatres, and concert venues. Montreal sure is great!

On your second visit, or maybe your third, you decide to venture out of the downtown. Maybe you're looking for a record shop off the beaten path or you've got friends who live on the south shore. Regardless, you venture into the Island's suburbs or, better yet, Laval or Longeuil (to say nothing of the rest of the province). You will quickly find yourself amongst people thrilled with wonderbread, disgusting cold cuts, and processed cheese. In Montreal, people refer to mullets as a coup longeuil after the suburb which made it famous. This should give you some idea of the real character of the province. I'm not making a value judgement here, although I won't hide that wonderbread and the values it embodies are not my bag, I'm merely trying to convey that the majority of Quebeckers are not what you see when you get down in Montreal. They like Celine Dion, they're not so tolerant of differences, the pour maple syrup of white bread and call it dessert, and they get drunk and go snowmobiling (although this happens everywhere in Canada).

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

Whilst yall were busy checking out Hiro and Denis, Motherfucking George Lucas gets his dig on.

I can just see him pulling the Jedi mind trick and copping raers for dollarbin prices.

Whilst yall were busy checking out Hiro and Denis, Motherfucking George Lucas gets his dig on.

I can just see him pulling the Jedi mind trick and copping raers for dollarbin prices.

i almost cropped him out of the photo
    but
    how could diss the man who brought us Captain EO ??

• 1219197712191977 323 Posts
    got nice copy of eddie bo - hook and sling fur 1$