Questions

oldnewsouloldnewsoul 238 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
If you lost your collection tomorrow, would you make an attempt to start over?What would you do different?Would it be quality or quantity?

Comments

• That would obviously be one of the worst days of my life, but my collection isn't too big for starting over. Life without music/records could be pretty dull.

I've always preferred quality over quantity so that wouldn't change. I have no interest in owning truckloads of crappy records simply because they have "some break". But like many collectors I do have lots of records I pretty much never listen to, so that's something I'd do different. I think my new collection would probably have a lot less hiphop and funk, and more jazz and dub, since that's what I'm mostly interested in thesedays.

And since this is my first post here - a friendly hello to all of you.

• I'd cry...

No i wouldnt collect again... I'd get the tracks burned on to cd or something... It would probably take me the rest of my life to get what i already have again... Allot of the records i bought for 4.99 that are now worth 100 would make me ill.

What a horrible thought

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    I'd cry...

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    I think about this a lot - it's not really super healthy to get too attached to material things, so if you know that you are (I sure as hell know I am) you should at least not take it for granted. I'd definitely keep buying records, but I'd buy classic good stuff that isn't too pricey - a lot of shit I buy nowadays fall into that category anyway. I'd stop DJing though, temporarily or permanently, unless my insurance paid enough to get me a laptop and DILDO.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    ive had it happen to me.

More than once.

i started collecting aged 10 ( i inherited a sick rock collection), anyways, spent most of my teenage years hoarding all and every piece of wax i could find, i worked in a record store, was a buyer, so was sampled daily by the majors, and id swap into stock what i didnt want.

had a nice collection going for someone that was totally self-educated (pre-internet byatches).
    anyways, cut a long story short, i ended up travelling, stored the collection at mums place. She put them in the garage, the garage flooded and she threw THE LOT away.

So im oblivious to this,travelling the world buying records country to country and posting them back to NZ with a note saying "mum, can you put these with the rest", my lovely mother would put them in the garage again.

Then i end up in Sweden for a couple of years so im starting to hoard like a madman, i head to Australia to set up a new life for my bride to be and i and she decides to dump me over the phone (after 4 years!) and as far as i know, the swedish stash is long gone.

I lost 3 crates in Sydney due to a stoned flatmate, still have a box at my brothers in NZ (i cant even remember whats in it)

and now im in Amsterdam, im spending stupid money on records i originally had for free, or paid dollarbin prices for (pre internet byatches Pt.2)

my collection here at home is basic to say the least.

and now i have a baby, well, lets just say i wont be bidding on any grails in the near future.

thanks for giving me the opportunity to relive my painful past you fucker.

Wow. That's tough man. Just curious, where in Sweden did you live and what sort of stuff did the Swedish stash contain?

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    I lived in Hudiksvall (Halsingland0 and the stash was mostly jazz and old rock, awww shit man, it was sweet, id walk into stores and itd be a case of 1 kroner per record, id just go buckwild, nothing super raer (pre soulstrut edumication) but this kiwi was fucking stoked to pull mint Miles, Sonny Rollins, OG Zeppelin, crazy swedish 45s, and the like.

gone all gone..

Maybe I should hit up Huddiksvall sometime... I actually melted like 20-30 funk sevens four years ago. I was DJing and placed a box on what i didn't realise was some sort of light thing that later was turned on and became really hot. Nothing really rare, stuff like Marvins groove and the like, but man it sucks.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    Well if my insurance covered the music it wouldn't be as bad. It would suck though. I guess I would just start buying records again. Probably would get serato too. That would ease the pain.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Other G*ry.... I was just wondering about you this morning (no ayo).

How is your new kid doing?

Pics?????

• goatboygoatboy 371 Posts
    ive had it happen to me.

More than once.

i started collecting aged 10 ( i inherited a sick rock collection), anyways, spent most of my teenage years hoarding all and every piece of wax i could find, i worked in a record store, was a buyer, so was sampled daily by the majors, and id swap into stock what i didnt want.

had a nice collection going for someone that was totally self-educated (pre-internet byatches).
    anyways, cut a long story short, i ended up travelling, stored the collection at mums place. She put them in the garage, the garage flooded and she threw THE LOT away.

So im oblivious to this,travelling the world buying records country to country and posting them back to NZ with a note saying "mum, can you put these with the rest", my lovely mother would put them in the garage again.

Then i end up in Sweden for a couple of years so im starting to hoard like a madman, i head to Australia to set up a new life for my bride to be and i and she decides to dump me over the phone (after 4 years!) and as far as i know, the swedish stash is long gone.

I lost 3 crates in Sydney due to a stoned flatmate, still have a box at my brothers in NZ (i cant even remember whats in it)

and now im in Amsterdam, im spending stupid money on records i originally had for free, or paid dollarbin prices for (pre internet byatches Pt.2)

my collection here at home is basic to say the least.

and now i have a baby, well, lets just say i wont be bidding on any grails in the near future.

Why do good life lessons (like not being too attached to material objects) always have to be the hardest ones to actually experience?!

I lost several boxes of my favorite books and comic books in similar circumstances (i.e., storing them with friends and family only to have something happen to them without my knowing).

Painful story - sorry NZ!

• ive had it happen to me.

More than once.

Ouch. And I thought having my collection damaged by a fire in a storage unit was harsh. I'll close this door now.

• JazoistJazoist 78 Posts
    I only thought about getting pants on my ass last time the place started to burn down over here. Thus would be my advice, forget about the records. I would get traumatized by the neigbour's cat burning in a fire rather than by missing records.