ST PATRICK DAY PARTY PATROL!

Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
*CRINGE*MOAN*GAG*ANDLLADATI'm seriously not looking forward to this shit, especially since it falls on a friday and I have to deejay in S.F.'s Marina (a hot-bed for frat corn-balls who get their rocks off on a day like this). Does anyone really celebrate this thing?GHOST RIDE THAT WHIP FAG![/b]DJ PAUL IS A DOG YOU CANNOT TRUST![/b]

Comments

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    everytime I see that party patrol thing I expect to see a thread filled with images of Spuds McKenzie.

I had some friends ask me to come to a bar with them on Friday and "celebrate St. Pattys" all I can think of is this is going to consist of lots of beligerant LA folk going minimalist crazy. I'll be aslep by the girls bathroom by 7 pm

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

DJ PAUL IS A DOG YOU CANNOT TRUST![/b]

in a somewhat similar scene down south, paul will be getting down for his

• let me clarify, hey white soulstrut dudes (all 12141242132 of y'alls). Do you guys really get down for this holiday? I mean does it matter to you...I'm fascinated.

On friday I'll feel like the enemy spying or some shit...

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Yes some people really celebrate St. Patrick's day mayne. I'm part Irish and I celebrate every year, but not a bar with a bunch of non Irish idiots looking for a day to wild out and drink green beer or someting stupid like that. I will be making dinner at home for Wifey and myself. Corned beef, cabbage & potatoes. Plaese believe it will be washed down with lots of Guinness and Bushmills.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    let me clarify, hey white soulstrut dudes (all 12141242132 of y'alls). Do you guys really get down for this holiday? I mean does it matter to you...I'm fascinated.

I usually stay in... I'll be playing in LES and it will be foolish most likely

• JazzsuckaJazzsucka 720 Posts
    let me clarify, hey white soulstrut dudes (all 12141242132 of y'alls). Do you guys really get down for this holiday? I mean does it matter to you...I'm fascinated.

Are you suggesting here that all white people have interest in some Irish thing? In early 20th century the Irish weren't even considered white in this counrty.
    I think you actually have a closer connection to this particular day than me.

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    I'm playing a pretty big house party.

I'm not Irish, and I don't need a reason to drink, but if you do I'm cool with that I guess. I don't know if it's parade status though.

Do college kids still want to hear 93 till infinity? I'm fucking outta touch.

• djobelixdjobelix 23 Posts
    its all about seeing how many free pints of guiness you can get!!

• RisingsonRisingson 696 Posts
    as probably the only 100% Irish person on here I can tell that March 17th doesnt mean shit to most people except for a day off work & an excuse to live up to a stereotype & drink themselves stupid...........sad really. I'll be taking it easy enough myself, going to a friends house for a few bevs & home early enough, the pubs are always too packed on St Patricks day anyway

.....Big Chan, are you actually in Cork at the mo??

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    as probably the only 100% Irish person on here I can tell that March 17th doesnt mean shit to most people except for a day off work & an excuse to live up to a stereotype & drink themselves stupid...........sad really. I'll be taking it easy enough myself, going to a friends house for a few bevs & home early enough, the pubs are always too packed on St Patricks day anyway

I have 'celebrated' St patricks day in many different contries... it seems to be the one day that any arsehole can dress in green, pretend they are Irish and act like a cock.

or as the Americans would say: "B&T like a motherfucker"

I think Irish people should have the right to kick the snot outta these wankers.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts

who gets a day off for st. patricks day???

st patricks day = amature night

• David_GDavid_G 60 Posts
    St. Patrick was a tool.

St. Patrick was a tool.

care to elaborate?

have a guess.........

..........people in Ireland

He supposedly "enlightened" the pagans of Ireland, pointing out how silly, fantastic, and false their beliefs were & as a substitute, pushed the story of Catholicism... obviously the true superior faith. While Catholicism is an inseparable part of Irish identity, I think its lame to file Irish Day under St. P.

But I'm no fan of religion.
    Patrick was also British; which my grand mother cries from the grave is

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    He supposedly "enlightened" the pagans of Ireland, pointing out how silly, fantastic, and false their beliefs were & as a substitute, pushed the story of Catholicism... obviously the true superior faith. While Catholicism is an inseparable part of Irish identity, I think its lame to file Irish Day under St. P.

But I'm no fan of religion.
    Patrick was also British; which my grand mother cries from the grave is

Actually the story of St. Patrick is a lot more elaborate than that. The gist is that he was an english sheep herder who got kidnapped and put into slavery by the Irish during a raid of Britan. After several years of captivity, he claims to have been visited by God, who guided him on his escape. Upon his return to England he joined the church to give thanks to God. After serious study and prayer, the church told him he had to go back to Ireland to preach and convert "the barbarians." They had sent people before but they had all been killed because they tried to force conversion. St. Patrick who, because of his days as a slave, knew the language and the customs of the people went back and was effective in communicating the similarities of the Irish pagan religion and catholicism. In my opinion he was one of the most brilliant syncretists of all organized religion, he made commonalities between the sun and God, bridging nature and christianity into one. Hence why the celtic cross has a orb in the middle, representing the sun and moon. Whether this syncretism is a good or bad thing is subject to debate, but it does stand that St. Patrick did survie and accomplish his goals in a land where no one else could, some would say that was miraculous. The story of him chasing the snakes out of Ireland is a metaphor for removing paganism, represnted by the snake, who in turn represents satan.
    What any of this has to do with drinking and debauchery is beyond me, I guess people just want an excuse to get drunk, and thats fine by me. Some people question why celebrate the assimilation of one culture into another, and I think its a valid question. One could even go so far as to make the argument that the church pushed this holiday to further people away form paganism. I also find it ironic that St. Patrick is English, and that a celebration of Irishness is really a rejection of celticness and an embracement of a catholic Ireland. I don't know though, I don't celebrate it because I don't feel a connection to the holiday, plus I have no shame in getting drunk whenever I want.

Actually the story of St. Patrick is a lot more elaborate than that. The gist is that he was an english sheep herder who got kidnapped and put into slavery by the Irish during a raid of Britan. After several years of captivity, he claims to have been visited by God, who guided him on his escape. Upon his return to England he joined the church to give thanks to God. After serious study and prayer, the church told him he had to go back to Ireland to preach and convert "the barbarians." They had sent people before but they had all been killed because they tried to force conversion. St. Patrick who, because of his days as a slave, knew the language and the customs of the people went back and was effective in communicating the similarities of the Irish pagan religion and catholicism. In my opinion he was one of the most brilliant syncretists of all organized religion, he made commonalities between the sun and God, bridging nature and christianity into one. Hence why the celtic cross has a orb in the middle, representing the sun and moon. Whether this syncretism is a good or bad thing is subject to debate, but it does stand that St. Patrick did survie and accomplish his goals in a land where no one else could, some would say that was miraculous. The story of him chasing the snakes out of Ireland is a metaphor for removing paganism, represnted by the snake, who in turn represents satan.
    What any of this has to do with drinking and debauchery is beyond me, I guess people just want an excuse to get drunk, and thats fine by me. Some people question why celebrate the assimilation of one culture into another, and I think its a valid question. One could even go so far as to make the argument that the church pushed this holiday to further people away form paganism. I also find it ironic that St. Patrick is English, and that a celebration of Irishness is really a rejection of celticness and an embracement of a catholic Ireland. I don't know though, I don't celebrate it because I don't feel a connection to the holiday, plus I have no shame in getting drunk whenever I want.

have a guess.........

..........people in Ireland

Do Germans get octber off for october fest?

St. Patrick who, because of his days as a slave, knew the language and the customs of the people went back and was effective in communicating the similarities of the Irish pagan religion and catholicism. In my opinion he was one of the most brilliant syncretists of all organized religion, he made commonalities between the sun and God, bridging nature and christianity into one. Hence why the celtic cross has a orb in the middle, representing the sun and moon. Whether this syncretism is a good or bad thing is subject to debate, but it does stand that St. Patrick did survie and accomplish his goals in a land where no one else could, some would say that was miraculous. The story of him chasing the snakes out of Ireland is a metaphor for removing paganism, represnted by the snake, who in turn represents satan.

true.

I've just always thought Patrick's point to be lame; that the customs and supernatural aspects of paganism were ultimately B.S./that Catholicism's could be considered any less

points on superior religions give me the
    BTW, no offense intended to British strutters, Irish, Catholic, or even Pagan strutters too...

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    Dad always said "There is nothing worse than a half-Irishman on St. Patrick's day."

Dad always said "There is nothing worse than a half-Irishman on St. Patrick's day."

Wise words

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I say fuck it... I think the Irish should have a day of drinking and having some fun. The meaning of St Patrick's day aside, they were treated for the most part like shit and slaves for like a thousand years.

Plus, remember... Everyone is Irish on St. Patties Day.

Anyone thats not Irish and gets drunk & act like an ass that day, probably for the most part does it also a better part of the week. They don't need to use S.P.D. to make it official.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I've avoided the Parade here in NYC since I was a kid, but I do get my extra drink on. And I'll wear green as well.

I'm still reeling from st. patricks day '91...After a night of drinking green beer. My room mate left me an unflushed green poo in the bowl. Ever since it hasn't been much of an occasion to celebrate.

No, I am not in Cork at the moment but I wish I was! My mother's family is from Cork and I just put that as my location for St. Patrick's Day.

Happy St. Patrick's Day Risingson! Cheers!!!!

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

Lawd... The drunkest I've ever been was on a tour of the guinness factory. The rest of my trip was a washout from the tour. Great fun from what I remember tho HA!

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    im back in the states and will be getting drunk tonight.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Good stuff!

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    I dont think there's many irish out here in L.a.

It really makes me homesick for the NY St. Pats parade...