Plaese To Explain Overwrought TV Dramas Popularity

The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
I'm forcing myself to watch Prison Break and 24 to see why people watch it. They're awful, please explain. Overwrought melodramatic excitement in a microwave garbage. PLEASE, to fans out there, why do you like these shows? I don't get it.

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    They're awful, please stop.

kill your tv now.

At least reality tv shows might end up in nudity.

• mallardmallard 452 Posts
    total cosign. project runway, lost, etc...can't get with any of these

gimme a survivorman marathon and i'm golden.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    people tell me to watch dramas like this all the time. Right now I watch the shield and soprano's. I tell them I can't commit to anymore drama's. That's why I like sports. Less commitment. I didn't plan on watching the shield either. One of the episodes sucked me in. Damn them...

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

Sayin sayin sayin

But yo, I watch reality TV cuz it's something dumb and people are tripping cracks me up. TV nowadays is fucking awful, but these shows are considered paragons of "good" TV. Lost, Desperate Slutwives, ER, Survivor, all that shit. Awfulawfulawful.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    I'm forcing myself to watch Prison Break and 24 to see why people watch it.

why would you bother?

honestly besides sports, i can't stand watching anything on network tv, it's all straight bullshit...

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    It's entertainment, not rocket science. It's the same reason why novels or movies or Records are popular. Actually, some of the writing on a few of the TV dramas is pretty decent.

What I don't get are the CSI Crime-solver junkies, but what do I know, I'm a LOST fan.

YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO that CSI stuff, ad that on, Law and Order too. My parents watch that shit.SVU is stomachable, but just regular Law and Order is garbage. I watched CSI once with my folks, I laughed a lot. Lotta faulty science being thrown around on that one.

I think people are watching this because it gives people fake dramas to get wrapped up in, then resolves them. Unlike their own lives, which rarely get resolved in 30 minutes, if at all.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts

Sayin sayin sayin

But yo, I watch reality TV cuz it's something dumb and people are tripping cracks me up. TV nowadays is fucking awful, but these shows are considered paragons of "good" TV. Lost, Desperate Slutwives, ER, Survivor, all that shit. Awfulawfulawful.

Yesterday I'm flicking thru the channels and the real world is on. It shows the people moving into their badass house. Then I watched what the people said about their new roomates. They were already goofing on them. What the hell is wrong with them??? I would be like "what's up? I'll be in the pool..peace"

I can't fuck with the Real World. It's all about Flavor of Love, The Apprentice, Project Runway. Reality shows that either: A) require creativity and actual talent (PR for instance, waiting for Hell's Kitchen to come back) or B) people acting crazy while doing something . Real World has lived long past it's expiration date. They need to up the ante by letting a black mamba loose in the house once a week or something.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    It's all about Flavor of Love

• johnshadejohnshade 577 Posts
    DEAL OR NO DEAL

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    The secret with 24 is this. Rent the first season on DVD and start watching it right in a row. Thats how I got hooked. If I watched it every week I probably wouldn't be.

Best seasons of 24

In that order.
    Tho, 5 is growing on me.

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    I just watch some of those shows to kill time - Im unemplyed at the moment. I prefer The Apprentice, Project Runway etc. After I've seen one of those shows I feel ready to take over the world. As opposed to watching dramas, where you feel real useless afterwards.

I have never watched dramas on tv, I think a big part of it is the internet. Where you can just download all episodes and watch em in a row.. for free. I did that with Prison Break recently and it was fun, I doubt I'll continue to watch it tho. I'll just wait a year and do the same thing with the new episodes. Im following Lost tho, but Im questioning why every episode now. Really loosing interest, but Im gonna watch atleast the next two EPs. Darren Aronofsky (Pi, Requiem for a Dream) directed the episode that airs 29th March. Might be cool.