Did SS beat the name "Modern Soul" to Death?

NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
edited May 2005 in Strut Central
Discuss.

BTW: This is all you really need.

Comments

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Did SS Guzzo beat the name "Modern Soul" to Death?

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    I blame Raj and Guzzo

• soulrezsoulrez 565 Posts
    Did G**** beat the name "Modern Soul" to Death?

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I'm a bit weary of a Ca$h Play II. MODERN SOUL BACKLASH IS IMMINENT.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    "Modern Soul" as a genre definition has become pretty watered down. Every record made by a black person post 1979 can't be 'Modern Soul'.

---

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Nate and all other Soulstrut folls and idiots,

From now on, plaese refer to this genre as "Jheri Curl Music."

Thank you

• I blame Raj

In his defense, Raj has been down with the modern/boogie vibe for awhile. First time I met him he was talking about records he enjoyed (mostly early 80s joints), one's which most of the board wouldn't touch at time.

I'm a little confused on the whole "modern soul" thing myself though.

I thought it was a term the English "northern soul" guys used for rare 45s from the late 70s on, post disco stuff. I always saw things like "and spinning in the modern room...". Someone told me it referred only to 45s.

But...

Then I see alot of people getting into what used to be called "boogie" LPs and 12s recently, calling it "modern soul". These records have seemed to blow up overnight. Some of them where already rare and sought after but it has sort of expanded. Most of these records most diggers and collectors wouldn't touch with a 60 foot pole 5 years ago, they were just considered too new to be thought of as serious pieces. A friend of mine moved here from Europe and collects R&B strictly from '77-'83. When he first started shopping at our store I was mystified by the records he bought, passing on things like the The Politicians and "Soul Of The Bible" for groups such as Wax, Alton McClain & Destiny, and Michael Wycoff. He just refers to this music as "funk" or "R&B", I've never heard him ever mention "modern soul" or even "boogie", but he has been collecting the same records now called this for years. Where is this term "modern soul" in reference to LPs coming from?

Is it a case of older records becoming too expensive, more elusive, and too well known to the average digger/collector/listener so they have to move on to something new?

Is "modern soul" a distant relative to "marina rock"?

Does anybody here strictly collect "moder soul"?

Just wondering.

Deep beats and deep crates,
    SonicReducer
    (TEAMAARON)

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    see i hate to say it but i really think this MODERN SOUL tag is a cop out...

it's a cop out for people who've for years hated on the 80's, boogie, electro funk, anything remotely garagey or gay to buy the EXACT same fuckin records but "oh the jam is really on the flip...its some serious MODERN SOUL bizniz"

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts

"northern soul" guys used for rare 45s from the late 70s on,

exactly. this's first usage I encountered. I have even listed 45s as "modern northern soul." But now, post soulstrut MS explosion, I'm guilty of listing anything with slaps and synth as modern soul because, well, often times it works (no france).

• soulrezsoulrez 565 Posts
    I blame Raj

In his defense, Raj has been down with the modern/boogie vibe for awhile. First time I met him he was talking about records he enjoyed (mostly early 80s joints), one's which most of the board wouldn't touch at time.

see this is why this term bugs the fuck out of me... i grew up on this shit as well as many others here have, & seems those people also have issues w/ this term... it's a lame term... a buzz word for newbies who thought collecting vinyl was just about raer's & dont take time to learn about shits origins, just learning about zapp or brass construction or cherelle cuz it was listed as a modern soul jawn, shits tired, most the dollar bin commons folls scoffed at are now buzz words, shits funny, but at the same time shows me a lot bout certain aspects of digger mind states...

• ademurademur 33 Posts
    From my perspective in the UK it was really amusing to watch, people who offered a real definition of it where just ignored.

The fact is, it has been a collected genre of soul in the UK and Japan for a few years, and big money has been payed.

Soul from 73 can be played in a modern room, as can disco and 80's soul.

I think alot of people here come from a breaks angle and forgot that soul music collectors are pretty serious.

Guzzo has almost convinced me he discovered it.

at least from an ebay perspective if people in France keep searching 'modern soul' then I'll keep using it my auctions.

personally I think of a restrained-yet-soulful early 80s 'stepping' sound when I hear the term - Keni Burke 'Rising To the Top' leaps to mind.

to UK modern soulers it could mean anything from 71 to present, which indicates that their definition derives more from where the tunes are played ("the modern room") than a specific sound.

I'm pretty sure guzzo ain't got a clue, but the UK still doesn't get to set their definition in stone.

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts

There are subtle gradiations among the Jheri Curl set...I learned the hard way that you don't want to step to someone with "good hair" who has a Leisure Curl and mistake it for a Jheri. Drama will ensue!

• ademurademur 33 Posts
    but the UK still doesn't get to set their definition in stone.

That was'nt the point

people who offered a real definition of it where just ignored.

for real tho, the last time this thread came up I watched the info UK folks were trying to contribute just fly over the heads of the 'pictures of dudes with jeri-curls are funny' set - they'd rather keep on thinking of Peabo Bryson as 'modern soul'...

• JacobWizzleJacobWizzle 1,003 Posts
    I blame Raj

see this is why this term bugs the fuck out of me... i grew up on this shit as well as many others here have, & seems those people also have issues w/ this term... it's a lame term... a buzz word for newbies who thought collecting vinyl was just about raer's & dont take time to learn about shits origins, just learning about zapp or brass construction or cherelle cuz it was listed as a modern soul jawn, shits tired, most the dollar bin commons folls scoffed at are now buzz words, shits funny, but at the same time shows me a lot bout certain aspects of digger mind states...

I feel you on all of this. Dudes are buying Active Force and Pure Gold but don't have the Zapp and Cameo collection taken care of. Its all funk music regardless. Modern Soul is just another title to gas people on ebay. I prefer "curl music".

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

There are subtle gradiations among the Jheri Curl set...I learned the hard way that you don't want to step to someone with "good hair" who has a Leisure Curl and mistake it for a Jheri. Drama will ensue!

I just received Switch greatest hits. Straight up Jhericurl stuff.Transitional R&B
    to me.Funk informed,Post-disco,Pre-Hiphop influenced,California Motown(Via Midwest)
    ,Teeniebopper Soul.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    SLAPZ OF DEATH!

SLAPZ OF DEATH!

that upcoming 'next level shit' will be "SLAPZ CHOPPED AND SCREWED"

---

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I blame Raj

I don't think it's lame to use the term "Modern Soul" at all... Buzz words like this are a dream come true when you're trying to sell records and mix CDs.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    Its all funk music regardless

• a restrained-yet-soulful early 80s 'stepping' sound

a restrained-yet-soulful early 80s 'stepping' sound

I should holla at Rick & see if they want to outsource some of their 'hyperbolic description' work...

---

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    SLAPZ OF DEATH!

that upcoming 'next level shit' will be "SLAPZ CHOPPED AND SCREWED"

---

JEAH!

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts
    a restrained-yet-soulful early 80s 'stepping' sound

What is the "wooh" and "oh girl" threshold for this genre?

• a restrained-yet-soulful early 80s 'stepping' sound

I should holla at Rick & see if they want to outsource some of their 'hyperbolic description' work...

---

You still need some practice....

this hard to find record has been big in the steppers scene since 1867!! a restrained-yet-soulful early 80s sound!!!

Must-have crossover quadrille/ mazurka jam that took the Versailles 'powdered-wig' steppers scene by storm in 1750!!! A necessity in the collection of every true head without actually being any good!!!

---

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Hi

there are far too amny anti-guzzo statements here for me to address all personally. Let me just say for those that "blame" me for actually liking a genre enough to talk about it on a music website y'all need to find a new place to play..

strictly pathetic type shit for y'all to hate on someone for such a petty reason.

get over it and move on to hating me for something outside of musical taste.

we'll talk agian in one of those political threads

-Adam

• MangomanMangoman 549 Posts

I feel you on all of this. Dudes are buying Active Force and Pure Gold but don't have the Zapp and Cameo collection taken care of. Its all funk music regardless. Modern Soul is just another title to gas people on ebay. I prefer "curl music".
    People are missing out on the Cameo's, Bar Kay's Propestistion/Night Crusin, Carl Carolton's, GQ's, One Way's, Mary Jane Girls, Klymaxx etc... I thought it was S Curl Music or Bar B-Q or Mildew music

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    but what about MODERN FOLK FUNK???