Did SS beat the name "Modern Soul" to Death?

2»

Comments

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    whatever happened to 'Quiet Storm'? I haven't heard anyone use that term in a while.

Cameo, Zapp, Maze, Mary Jane Girls, Teddy P etc are all pretty accessible on 'Old School' radio it seem to me...

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    CORRECTION: It's been brought to my attention (via PM non-the-less) that the genre is called FOLNK???[/b]...

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    is track #2 considered modern soul?

• MangomanMangoman 549 Posts
    So are you saying you need a man with Sensativity?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I'm pretty sure guzzo ain't got a clue, but the UK still doesn't get to set their definition in stone.

This is the only comment I will address specifically 'cause I think it sums up the stupidity of allvthis anti-modern soul backlash.

First off, there is no clear cut definiton for modern soul hell theres no clear cut definition for "soul", "R&B" Rock & Roll", "Jazz" or damn near any other genre. The fact that you've vested that much power in my opinion of what a music style is flatters me but seriosuly even if there was a well defined term for this type of music it would not mean that my tastes would match it 100%

Secondly only a handful of you were able to even say what kind of music you like in my other thread. Goes to further prove Big stacks theroy that most of y'all are looking at the records as a commodity and not as discs containing beautiful music for you to enjoy. I'll take all the backlash y'all got for me, but at least I can clearly say I like music and don't need to bark and growl at someone because they said what they like.

and last, y'all are way too bitter Time for the majority of y'all to smoke a blunt, drink a 40 and get laid. These sticks up your asses are not making for a good look.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    I'm pretty sure guzzo ain't got a clue, but the UK still doesn't get to set their definition in stone.

This is the only comment I will address specifically 'cause I think it sums up the stupidity of allvthis anti-modern soul backlash.

First off, there is no clear cut definiton for modern soul hell theres no clear cut definition for "soul", "R&B" Rock & Roll", "Jazz" or damn near any other genre. The fact that you've vested that much power in my opinion of what a music style is flatters me but seriosuly even if there was a well defined term for this type of music it would not mean that my tastes would match it 100%

Secondly only a handful of you were able to even say what kind of music you like in my other thread. Goes to further prove Big stacks theroy that most of y'all are looking at the records as a commodity and not as discs containing beautiful music for you to enjoy. I'll take all the backlash y'all got for me, but at least I can clearly say I like music and don't need to bark and growl at someone because they said what they like.

and last, y'all are way too bitter Time for the majority of y'all to smoke a blunt, drink a 40 and get laid. These sticks up your asses are not making for a good look.

DAMN GUZZO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I love the Jheri curl music myself, BUT YOU NEED TO RELAX HOMMIE! It's not that serious. Go to a spa and RELAX.......

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts

I think that's New Jack Swing...too late to be considered Boogie/Modern Soul, IMO.

SG

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    ^over zee head^

most of y'all are looking at the records as a commodity and not as discs containing beautiful music for you to enjoy.

Guzzo, that's pretty presumptous don't you think? If I, or others, don't feel the need to compartmentalize our musical tastes and slap a label on them so be it.

It certainly doesn't mean we don't enjoy the music.

Enjoy the silence.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

Guzzo,

I don't think there was any malice behind Soulhawk's comment. I think what he said was more with respect to the way you're referred to as the board's modern soul authority (even though the reference may be tongue-in-cheek, and even though I'm sure you'd be the first to admit that you aren't). The irony is simply that you've assumed this role by championing modern soul as an album-oriented genre, when in reality (i.e. the reality of modern soul collecting circles), it's primarily a singles game.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Its all black music regardless

and my homie calls it "that champagne music"-feelin' it.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    I'm guilty of listing anything with slaps as modern soul

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    is the 'Seinfeld Theme' bass-popping even a real bass?

it sounds like a Yamaha keyboard or some shit like that to me.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Guzzo,

I don't think there was any malice behind Soulhawk's comment. I think what he said was more with respect to the way you're referred to as the board's modern soul authority (even though the reference may be tongue-in-cheek, and even though I'm sure you'd be the first to admit that you aren't). The irony is simply that you've assumed this role by championing modern soul as an album-oriented genre, when in reality (i.e. the reality of modern soul collecting circles), it's primarily a singles game.

Sorry if it came off like I was attacking soulhawk. thats not how I meant for it to look. I'm kinda usrprised that the board has given my opinion on this genre so much authority. I've openly admitted to being a newbie to this shit for a while now. maybe the clock has run out on my newbie status but in no way am I even close to an expert on this sound and I still got plenty of "common" shit to pick up.

I've always thought of all the Guzzo/ Modern soul comments from others as toungue-in -cheek, however I think some folks on here (funksnotdead/ soulrez, et al.) take what I say to be that much more serious.

in the end its all music to enjoy and arguing over what I like and what others like is trivial and pointless.

Soulhawk:[/b] sorry if you took it as a personal attack. I didn't mean it that way.

Day:[/b] I beleived folks were really into music on this site until a thread about a month or so back about there being any "good new music". The general concensus was that there is no longer good music being made which blew my mind.

too many folks on here equating old & OOP to good

• 4_LOVE4_LOVE 16 Posts
    I'm kinda usrprised that the board has given my opinion on this genre so much authority.

• soulrezsoulrez 565 Posts

I've always thought of all the Guzzo/ Modern soul comments from others as toungue-in -cheek, however I think some folks on here (funksnotdead/ soulrez, et al.) take what I say to be that much more serious.
    actually it's quite the opposite for me...

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    I'm kinda usrprised[/b] that the board has given my opinion on this genre so much authority.

im guessing he meant usurped[/b]

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    whatever happened to 'Quiet Storm'? I haven't heard anyone use that term in a while.

i use that term all the time... typically to describe shit that would now be classified as MODERN SOUL

its not a genre its a description of the music.. to call a jam a slow jam or quiet storm DESCRIBES the actual music...

• Found this pretty funny - lotsa strutters seen here:

MODERN SOUL FOR MODERN EBAY SELLERS

SONIC

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I'm kinda usrprised[/b] that the board has given my opinion on this genre so much authority.

im guessing he meant usurped[/b]

you telling me you've never been usrprised by someone in the past?

fresher than colonics

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

I think that's New Jack Swing...too late to be considered Boogie/Modern Soul, IMO.

SG

Keith Sweat's first album has "In The Rain" which is a reach back to soul.
    Alot of New Jack Swingers kept a link to their soul forfathers.
    Guy was doing rehashed GAP Band stuff.
    It all flows from each other.

• I would'nt mind a major backlash...I can't walk into a record store these days without seeing "any record with a black guy on the cover from the 80's" priced 2X-5X higher than it would have been 6 months ago. I can't browse R&B Lp's on ebay without a quarter of them being labeled as "modern soul" in one way or another. I know from a seller standpoint certains things are going to be done to bring attention to your auctions but lately its been getting out of hand.

I got into collecting because of hearing artists like Roger & Zapp, Lakeside, and Cameo played on radio and never being able to find thier early stuff on CD. Now I'm shocked when I see "Cameosis" going for $20. What use to be just good ol R&B/Funk from the 80's has now turned into a "social status" thing for some people. Hopefully ya'll are enjoying the music and not just stacking up the rares for show.

• My issue with the idea of something as modern soul is that it's just describing an amorphous time. It's so nondescriptive. Is it modern? yes. Is it soul? yes. Then it must be modern soul. Is modern soul different from neo-soul? In most people's worlds, but d'angelo is modern and soul, so isn't he really modern soul? It's kinda like my issue with old-school hip hop, new-school hip hop. As times change, so do tags like this. Is Tribe still new school? I mean, if they're new school, then late 90s must be postgraduate, and 2000s is like finally got a job. In 2020, will we still call R&B or soul from the early 80s modern soul? or soulful disco from the 70s modern soul? To me, titles like hardcore rap, emo rap, sweet soul, funk are far more illustrative as categories. They describe the music rather than place it in an elastic time frame. Now, don't get me wrong, as a marketing ploy on eBay, I'm all for it.

• JacobWizzleJacobWizzle 1,003 Posts
    "Cameosis" going for $20. .
    That's crazy! It is a dope album though. Need to pull that out again. "Shake Your Pants" brings back memories.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    In time rare New Jack Swing will be collected. All the 70s wax got gobbled up,now its time for an 80s subgenre to get mined.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Guzzo,

Sorry if it came off like I was attacking soulhawk. thats not how I meant for it to look. I'm kinda usrprised that the board has given my opinion on this genre so much authority. I've openly admitted to being a newbie to this shit for a while now. maybe the clock has run out on my newbie status but in no way am I even close to an expert on this sound and I still got plenty of "common" shit to pick up.

in the end its all music to enjoy and arguing over what I like and what others like is trivial and pointless.

Soulhawk:[/b] sorry if you took it as a personal attack. I didn't mean it that way.

Day:[/b] I beleived folks were really into music on this site until a thread about a month or so back about there being any "good new music". The general concensus was that there is no longer good music being made which blew my mind.

too many folks on here equating old & OOP to good

Jeezus, dude, stop flattering yourself with this false modesty sh!t; it presupposes that people actually do take your opinion on modern soul seriously and that's not the case.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    faux your beautiful baby, don't ever change

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I'm guilty of listing anything with slaps as modern soul

Damn, for a second there I thought 40 Water had dreads!

Herm

P.S. The new Young Gunz 12" ft. 112 has SLIZZAPS!

• rogbrogb 172 Posts
    Kalapana = Modern Soul...really? b, 21b, 21object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=8,0,18,0" width="325" height="28" id="divmp3"1param name="movie" value="http://www.divshare.com/flash/playlist?myId=6104225-35f" 21embed src="http://www.divshare.com/flash/playlist?myId=6104225-35f" width="325" height="28" name="divmp3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"1/embed1/object1

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    /font1
    font class="small"1Quote:
    /font1
    h, 21
    b, 21
    b, 21Guzzo has almost convinced me he discovered it.
    b, 21
    b, 21
    h, 21
    font class="post"1b, 21b, 21I've now been blaming TheMack for years on introducing me to Mulder Soul. I can't get enough of that shit.b, 21b, 21b, 21b, 21 img src="http://i44.tinypic.com/sbj0r7.jpg"1