What's good people?

Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
edited November 2015 in Record Collecting
I just got off the road. Me and Aleit hit 8 towns over 2 states in 3 days and I drove back into NYC with enough time to murder shit at Rubulad. Big big stupid doodoo shout out to Small Change for having me down. I crawled into bed at 6 am after working and digging my ass off all weekend. Still hella tired but now I'm chilling.Basically all this is to say that when you see me falling through your town, trunk looking all heavy from the vinyl weight, smoking a joint in your alleyway, talking up your chick at the local college bar, fix your face. HAHAHA! I'm playing. It's not a game though! Know that! OK basically what I am trying to get at is that this shit is tough work and you better be real thorough if you are going to run around and get these records. It is not sweet like hells belles hanging out at the five and dime and antique stores strewn with mint indie soul 7"s. Dudes got hands real dirty and scored some good stuff but it took endurance, intuition, and straight up luck. It took going through tons, literally hundreds of crap private bullshit to find one or two really hot records.But we did come off and a shout out goes to Aleit for being a great dude to trip and work with.What'chall do this weekend?

Comments

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    sup Jonny, your weekend sounds fun. I was in an 8 hour teacher retreat yesterday at some Hawaiian themed hotel, had some good discussions, went to buy socks, had dinner at a nice Italian joint w/ cas and hooked up with Dizzy Bull, Hawn Jew, Dstill and a gang of scooter heads?? for some tunage. Today I am working out and doing homework. Yay.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    What'chall do this weekend?

Slept for the first part... yesterday afternoon enjoyed doing some yardwork with the lady in the sunny 80-something degree weather... worked last night... somehow ended up at this lameass college bar that I've passed a million times but never considered entering... got tore up on the deck there while laughing at dudes acting an ass... beautiful night...

Woke up early today, went to grab some records I left in the car... and there's gum stuck in the lock of the car door. I fume over this for a little while, then carefully remove the entire wad... afterward I get around to checking the whole car out, just in case. My vanity plate is destroyed, and the passenger door has been keyed leaving about 8" worth of scratch. I'm livid now, call the cops and talk to my neighbors but of course I'll never nab the vandal.

In the end its all okay though... after that a collection is BROUGHT to me, in crates already, and for $45 I get a semilarge (a good few hunnert) 70s/80s soul/funk/disco collection with a handful of jazz records... about halfway through the second crate I'm already pleased thinking this is just a mostly-clean collection of only the most popular titles from the mid-late 70s when I come across Mike James Fuckin' Kirkland, Hang on in There, wedged between Al Di Meola and Gino Vanelli. I've gone through everything now, and beyond all that popular/classic stuff there's a few other nice finds: Masterfleet and Willie Bobo on Sussex, some Coltrane titles, a few real scores along those lines...

Now I just need to figure out where to pull all this stuff

HANG ON IN THERE, PEOPLE...

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    I straight lounged, I'm regretting not hitting the flea markets now, seeing peoples weekend finds. It's about that time of year people do spring cleaning (tho FL is reverse of most places - summer is unbearably hot so less flea action then).

Must have rung ari one night when you douds were on the road but I was stoned and I hate talking on the phone when I'm lit. so I didn't pick up when he called back. But I kinda like dialing.

Weekend expedition sounds hot... so what did you find?? Real heads want to know.

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    Oh and I found ray tabs trio double lp sealed jazz doodoo. das it for real world-ness. I'm going to read by the lake.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    Got an email from my cousin that said he was playing drums for some Rockabilly band called "Big John Bates" and he would be in my town. I had who no idea who these dudes were, but I went to see the show. I couldn't handle the Rockabilly crowd, the music was alright, but the burlesque show was necessary. Then on saturday, went to a dealers house and pulled lots of cool stuff (psych on melodiya, 49th parallel 45 (calgary, alberta psych), and some stuff to post on waxidermy). Today, it's grocery shopping, apartment cleaning, and homework.

I'd say it was a great weekend. Good lookin on an 8 city trip Johnny, I'm trying to get one of those started for myself as well.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    [ahem]Shout Out [/ahem] Thanks for coming.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts

What'chall do this weekend?

johnny was lacing shit up in that room!! rubulad = , definitely going to go next month too to look for the married jawn in the black kangol . had a fuckin ball and met a hippie wonderwoman who nursed me back to health in berzerkly years ago up on the rubulad roof. word.

friday i was a "photo assistant" for my boy at the Aventura concert at MGD. dominican honnie bunnie overload. my work detail consisted of keeping my pockets filled with batteries and tracking down freebie bottles of cerveza presidente and talking to venesolanas

ate at a very palatable dimsum in chinatown (dim sum go go maybe?) and gorged again with whitelily at caravan of dreams...on point veggie classic spot in the LES

i got real fucking high off a cup of earl grey tea (i normally na touch caffeine) and then later got in a mental frenzy through the ingestion of some brownies my friend made. closed no deals wih the ladies and got no records, but saw old friends, caught numbers, made connections and had a ball.

pop the trunk and post some pictures of the haul, johnnycakes!!!!!

im going to officialy endaall my posts with my cricket hommies, cause i always seem to play the role of thread killer.
    all newbies...hi, im tripledouble, batches!

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts

im going to officialy endaall my posts with my cricket hommies, cause i always seem to play the role of thread killer.
    all newbies...hi, im tripledouble, batches!

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

Weekend expedition sounds hot... so what did you find?? Real heads want to know.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    watched great dvd comp of sly and the family stone performances and interviews

watched Calvaire, a movie i was really excited about, only to be really disappointed in it

amazing saturday out in the sun hanging with friends and 8-month old that is a chick magnet to the nth degree

amazing saturday night working the door and off to meet friends after that - hearing roots, dancehall, no-wave, Turkish psych, deep house and CCR in five hours in three places made me so happy - got home at 8 am

now at work trying to get a head start on what will be an insane week of deadlines

must sleep soon

katrina aftermath???

somewhere in upstate New York.

that place is freaky man.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts

• lotuslandlotusland 740 Posts
    ate vegan food in south central.

drove back from sf after a HEARTY trade with coolchristoph. your stuff is in the mail if your reading!

decided to move out of this FUCKING CAR ALARM INFESTED 'varrio' i'm sittin in right now.

rubulad.... everytime i hear about this i get JEALOUS. not to proud to admit that.
    the best party in nyc. it's gotta be! hope you and aleit came up hawrd.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    sounds like a fun trip jonny, totally looks like the nothing but trouble hangout

my weekend was pretty uneventful and pathetic cause i'm sick. moms visited my place and made me porkchops. got the cable working in my room so i finally got to see the project runway finale. i thought even though chloe's deserved to win, i was kinda disappointed with all of their lines. last season's runway finale murdered this year's even though wendy pepper's was a nonfactor.

really glad i didn't go out in this crazy weather. turned on the news yesterday and heard about this crazy 28-CAR PILEUP (?!)[/b] on n. 101 because northern californians do not know how to drive in snow and slush. i can't wait for this intense weather to begone

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

I always wondered what The_Non's house looked like...

[ahem]Shout Out [/ahem] Thanks for coming.

Yeah no doubt! Shout out to The_Non. Straight heat up in Albany.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I spruced up for Jonny and everything!

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I had the busiest weekend for a while.
    It started Friday night when I drove down to Hamilton to see my friend's band play This Night Creeps It was the release show for their latest EP, but also his last show with them as he is moving to Whistler to go snowboarding. It was cool to catch up with the handful of old friends that were there & I got to crash at my sister's place, but she wasn't there. I was supposed to meet a friend of mine who is just back in Hamilton after working in London as a Paramedic for the last 4 years, but since another dude had rung me on the drive down & used all the battery on my phone, I couldn't make the connection. So I drove back to Auckland & then got word my parents were on their way up to buy a car at auction. So I then went to the auto auction & saw them buy my Mom her of a car for a pretty good price, I had to spot them a couple of grand though as the auctioneers wouldn't take their business check. That left me broke for saturday night because my daily cashflow card limit is $2K so I couldn't really do much after that except eat some takeout with what cash I had left & watch possibly the worst Martin Lawrence movie I have ever seen "Black Knight".
    Sunday morning, I was at my local record store by 9.30 & left 3 hours later with a truckload of Jazz 45s, so that was cool.
    Then me & a guy I work with who plays drums met up with a bassist that I found on the internet & had a jam with the goal to be starting a jazz/funk/soul band. It went real well although I am rusty, having not played jazz guitar for a few years. Apparently the bassist also has another guitarist & some monster Hungarian Tenor Sax player lined up. I am also meeting with a female vocalist this friday, so it should all come together fairly easily & get me out playing again for the first time since my last band split in October. Hopefully it will be cool.
    Sunday night was pretty chill after that, ate some pizza, ripped Introducing The Style Council from LP to mp3 for a guy at work & then fell asleep listening to Norman Connors "You Are My Starship' & reading about the Making of Kind Of Blue.

• lucerolucero 425 Posts
    yo holmes all sounds pretty good mang

public holiday here today, chillin right now after a solid session of backyard cricket yesterday in hott hott conditions ~ 100 degrees ya'll .. a few drives, a couple of leg cuts and numerous cold ones, damn my arm is sore :: the jet flyover was pretty cool although we weren't too sure about the very nature of them to start off with

suspect I missed Sheep
    Free Jimmy Cliff * Mariam Makeba concerts coming up this week

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    yo holmes all sounds pretty good mang

public holiday here today, chillin right now after a solid session of backyard cricket yesterday in hott hott conditions ~ 100 degrees ya'll .. a few drives, a couple of leg cuts and numerous cold ones, damn my arm is sore :: the jet flyover was pretty cool although we weren't too sure about the very nature of them to start off with

suspect I missed Sheep
    Free Jimmy Cliff * Mariam Makeba concerts coming up this week

Cool, Jimmy Cliff is playing Palmerston North (or New Plymouth, I always get them confused) soon too for Womad, I prolly won't make it down there though. I am off to see Dinosaur Jr tonight though, should be interesting.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Last night my wife and I had our little homies from NGOK (New Generation of Kings) over to rehearse the show they're going to do this week for SXSW. Apparently our backyard makes for an ideal mini-amphetheatre as the extended slab from our backporch makes for a stage and the grassy knoll that rises uphill makes for pefect seating. Anyway dudes were amped as they've got their first official retail-ready release coming back from the press on Thursday. We also invited a good handful of veteran rap performers from the 2-3 section of Austin and beyond (Mirage, Tee Double, Young Nick, Element7d, etc.) to provide feedback and networking opportunities. I boiled Cajun shrimp, corn, and potatoes for afterwards and our garage was duly turned into a blazing freestyle hotbox as the night wore on.

Saturday night we went to Ruta Maya to see 4 of the dudes from NGOK compete in an under-21 spoken word slam with 4 finalists qualifying for a trip to New York to take part in a national event. While Chris aka Gator, Dre aka Lyricist the Lyrical Felon, and Jay aka Picolito all did well, it was our dude Quincy aka Black Prophet who especially killed it and earned a spot on Austin's national squad.

Also, Sunday afternoon after church we went to Paggi House where J-Boogie, Chicken George, and DJ Sun were spinning for a brunch buffet crowd all getting tanked off of bottom-less mimosas. It was really cool to meet DJ Sun and tell him that I used to listen to him on KPFT in Houston as far back as '93, and then meet J-Boogie and tell him that I used to listen to him on KUSF as far back as '97.

Anyway, it was a GREAT weekend.

Now, please make sure to visit NGOK's myspace page for I think they just got some of their songs loaded on there last night:

http://myspace.com/ngokmusic

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    THU - DJ'd w/ Miss Shing-A-Ling in Durham NC

FRI - Spun at my Bhangra/Bollywood Party in Chapel Hill NC

SAT - Drove to RVA, spun an all-NC hiphop set (trainwrecks'n'all) with SoulStutter Mordecai at University of Richmond's radio station, caught the Scorpio Brothers funk & soul set at Ipanema, met up with Fatback, Knewjack, Mesh, CousinLarry and Mordecai, drunkcalled a bunch of motherfuckers, partied til 5:30am

SUN - Hollered at some veggie paella at Kuba Kuba with the Scorpio posse, hung out with mom, chilled with Cowbwoy, Shing-A-Ling & Perlmutter at Kings in Raleigh NC

MON - recovering

drunkcalled a bunch of motherfuckers

uh dude where's my call

• TheGoochTheGooch 541 Posts
    that is dope. I miss the few intervals of being employed - unemployed - employed and driving out with buds looking for digs. Once we made it to this outdoor fleamarket on the grounds of a still functional Drive in theatre somewhere out in PA. Nice finds and brave and stoned enough to buy PICKELED weiners.

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    Friday - DJed with my pal B*m*l at local bar, we played all sorts of stuff from France Gall to Erlon Chaves to the Knife to a receptive crowd... only problem was these two stinky girls who were really dancing it up and causing people to try and get away from them due to their excessive BO - bar staff distributed insense and turned on the a/c to try and air the place out causing a minor flood... but night was definitely cool, and fun to play a wide selection of tunes... when B*m*al played the Knife lots of girls came up to tell him what a great DJ he was. (note to self)

Saturday - met up with friends to drink wine and eat lots of good food in a really nice communal atmosphere... we discussed such weighty topics as: would really rich blind people would have multiple seeing eye dogs in different colours to match their outfits? then we went and saw a documentary on Metal music, and were surprised by the outrageousness of the Norweigians.

Sunday - started rainy, turned beautiful - my girl and I got coffees and rambled around... then we looked at a large map of Toronto and tried to decide what a good neighbourhood to live in would be... is cabbagetown too sketchy? is queen west west too hip? is high park / roncesvales too far away? then I drove home in the fog. altogether a really good weekend.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    this past saturday we had a pretty nice turnout at the record show. made a lot of dough and got to meet josh (jjfad... or something like that) and some other cats that came through to chill. it was cold but there was hella coffee and then a double joint session with Om, Sureshot (nosmoke), Jazzsucka, MorseCode, Sean/Vitamin, and Verygoodminus. thank you to everyone who came through. we will have another sale at the end of April. those interested in making a few bucks... PM me. after the sale the wife and i ran some errands and bought me some $3 tshirts at foot action cause im throwing out a bunch of my old tees (and the pete rock tee patrick). got a drink and an appetizer at elephant bar and walked around target for some home stuff.

sunday i went to the flea... missed a huge soul collection and only got three mediocre pieces that ill flip. missed the newark show cause i cant drive and couldnt find a ride. so the weekend had wack finds but $$$ was made! plus i had my big love/sopranos premieres and flavor of love finale.

today i have physical therapy... which i dislike. i am going back through all the old black francis/frank black tunes that the wife has for wednesday.

tuesday i have the record show down in san jose that i convinced the wife to drive me too. thank god for her!

wednesday... my ebay auctions end. sad to get rid of them but i need the dough. going to see frank black at cafe du nord. that should be a lot of fun.

friday or saturday im going to hang out with gary and larry the rock dudes. smoke pot and listen to records. larry is helping his pal out who runs a club over on divisadero(?). anyway... good herb and hash.

sunday... KUSF! $$$$$$$

• Options

watched Calvaire, a movie i was really excited about, only to be really disappointed in it

amazing saturday out in the sun hanging with friends and 8-month old that is a chick magnet to the nth degree

amazing saturday night working the door and off to meet friends after that - hearing roots, dancehall, no-wave, Turkish psych, deep house and CCR in five hours in three places made me so happy - got home at 8 am

now at work trying to get a head start on what will be an insane week of deadlines

must sleep soon
    Was that the "Live from Watts"...or something, movie??

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

must sleep soon
    Was that the "Live from Watts"...or something, movie??

no - TV appearances - Cavett, Austrian TV, Bob Kirshner, something called Rock Concert and Mike Douglas Show. The Douglas interview is nuts - Muhammad Ali is on the panel with Stone, a Dem. from Idaho and another dude they never introduce. Ali tore them all a new ass. A few times, Stone was laughing and looking at Ali in disbelief. Think of Kanye re: Katrina and Bush x 10,000. My bro gave it to me, don't know where he got it from.