"Kelefa" thread highlights?

Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
Not trying to sit through that 6 pager, someone give me highlights. how long before Kelefa starts posting here[/b]?

Comments

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    Rootlesscosmo said he didn't like Kelefa's review of Matisyahu because it sounded like dude had a racial chip on his shoulder.

Drbrownscelary said Hasidim are inbred.

Rootlesscosmo and Guzzo said Drbrownscelary is anti-semitic.

Drbrownscelary said a bunch of hillarious shit.

Rootlesscosmo got asshurt.

Anna said "don't pick on my brother."

Oliver defended music critics and "Crash."

Guzzo said Archaic is antisemitic.

Archaic said some stuff.

Shig had jokes.

That's about it.

• Drbrownscelary said a bunch of hillarious shit.

I'm reporting to that thread ASAP.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    yeah it's not to be missed

• yeah it's not to be missed

doc brown called somebody "shortpants". damn, best shit all week.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    i can't wait to use "get yourself an ass-protector" in the real world

- also someone linked to bam's godwin's law thread which i never noticed before, but was an interesting read

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Rootlesscosmo humbly asked if perhaps there weren't racial undertones to [/b] Kelefa's review of Matisyahu.

Drbrownscelary totally changed the subject by suggesting that[/b] Hasidim are inbred.

Rootlesscosmo and Guzzo pointed out the obviously hurtful and classically antisemitic nature of Drbrownscelary's post about Hassidim .[/b] .

At this point the thread divided on purely NY DJ partisan lines and urrs and cosmo baker took their hommie's side, ignoring that his post about Hassidim actually had nothing whatever to do with the discussion at hand.[/b]

Oliver defended music critics and "Crash," as well as insulted Rootlesscosmo's original post and then ignored Rootless' response[/b].

Guzzo had to point out for the umpteenth time the obvious fact that[/b] Archaic is antisemitic.

Archaic made further vain attempts to explain away his bigotry[/b] .

Rootlesscosmo got ass last night from a fine girl with dimples.[/b]

Shig had jokes.

That's about it.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

• actually

what's a zionist? I'm not trying to be cute or anything, it's just when a thread about Judaism/The Middle East pops off every 8 minutes here on 'Strut.I get lost when people start the "real speak".

actually

what's a zionist? I'm not trying to be cute or anything, it's just when a thread about Judaism/The Middle East pops off every 8 minutes here on 'Strut.I get lost when people start the "real speak".

ummm, man, this topic may be better handled in the PMs. while myself and some others are perfectly capable of having civilized discussion on this topic, I can't say the same for some of these other folls.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Go back and re-read young thundercat, I never "defended Crash" and further suggested that using said film as an instructional guide to modern race relations is not a good look.

And Rootless, I clowned you because you made a mountain from a molehill regards to what was a fairly balanced review that *raised* race but didn't make it a central part of the critique of why Matisyahu is a weak artist. YOU thought K was being some kind of reverse racist (a ludicrous suggestion given the topic) simply because he dared address the 20 ton pink elephant in the room, i.e. Race and appropriation.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    i can't believe there's a 7 page thread related to an "artist" who will be relegated to the used cd bins quicker than the cherry poppin daddies

• i can't believe there's a 7 page thread related to an "artist" who will be relegated to the used cd bins quicker than the cherry poppin daddies

it's 15 pages. it's approcahing "Minger Mike" and "NBA BATCHES WHAT IT DO 2006" status

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    my personal favorite is towards the end of the thing where this one dude comes back and is all pissed and signs his post

the dude that knows more about hassids than any of you assclowns, who doesn't have a whole lot of love for them any damn way, and who still doesn't see how this relates to the topic he originally brought up.

i mean, its like theyre trying to outjew each other like "no way bro, anything you know about hassids i already know one more fact than you...times infinity!"

seriously, if someone would throw an "infinity" in there man that would be the best.

anyways, get yourselves some sammiches. id invite you all here but none of you live here and really im kind of a hermit plus its like $12 for a pastrami on rye. dont get me wrong, its worth the $12, but i just aint a baller like that.

ps
    i emailed my chommie benjo this thread cuz i thought he'd get a kick out of it. i cant wait to hear what he has to say!

i really hope kelefa sanneh shows up here

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    actually

ummm, man, this topic may be better handled in the PMs. while myself and some others are perfectly capable of having civilized discussion calling people goebbels when this topic comes up, I can't say the same for some of these other folls.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Zi??on??ism ( P ) Pronunciation Key (z-nzm)
    n.
    A Jewish movement that arose in the late 19th century in response to growing anti-Semitism and sought to reestablish a Jewish homeland in Palestine. Modern Zionism is concerned with the support and development of the state of Israel.[/b]

Denial that Zionism, by definition, generally ignores the people who already lived in Palestine prior to 1948 is tragically flawed.

If a discussion about this topic moves here, let's keep it civil and not resort to mudslinging and stating people are Goebbels, Mengele, or anti-semitic because their viewpoints do not support Zionism.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    Go back and re-read young thundercat, I never "defended Crash" and further suggested that using said film as an instructional guide to modern race relations is not a good look.

i know, i was kidding. i was also kidding about rootlesscosmo too - didn't realize he still has his ass-protector off.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    hi Ms Damn

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

i know, i was kidding. i was also kidding about rootlesscosmo too - didn't realize he still has his ass-protector off.

I guess I'll take credit for defending the movie "Crash" but only cause its not the most horrible piece of celluloid ever as the hatters would have you beleive

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Zi??on??ism ( P ) Pronunciation Key (z-nzm)
    n.
    A Jewish movement that arose in the late 19th century in response to growing anti-Semitism and sought to reestablish a Jewish homeland in Palestine. Modern Zionism is concerned with the support and development of the state of Israel.[/b]

Denial that Zionism, by definition, generally ignores the people who already lived in Palestine prior to 1948 is tragically flawed.

it's interesting how some people on this board take the word, twist the meaning, and then proudly express their hate for Jews...oops I mean "Zionists"

I've never disrespected a lizard person

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I didn't see any of the Archaic whatnot, so I can't say pro or con to him. What I can say is Zionism, while a good response to Jewish peoples for wanting a place to call home, did not really account for the people already living there when Israel was established, thereby continuing to be a source for continual conflict in the Middle East.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I can say is Zionism, while a good response to Jewish peoples for wanting a place to call home, did not really account for the people already living there when Israel was established, thereby continuing to be a source for continual conflict in the Middle East.

I totally agree

and for the record let me state that I am not a Zionist, I have not donated money towards or worked for any Zionist causes (at least not that I know of)

Both my grandparents on my mothers side however were zionists who lost their entire[/b] family to the holocaust so I am very symapthetic towards the idea of a people looking to escape persecution

i really hope kelefa sanneh shows up here

oops, not to start shit, but to defend his piece in his own words.

hi ayres!

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    damn Urrrs, why hath thou forsaken me?

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    That whole thread is so completely ridiculous yet totally entertaining at the same time.

First it started off as a critique of a NY Times article about a white jewish dude doing reggae. The original post questioned the point of the article as having racial overtones, namely that it was questioning why a white guy doing reggae got so popular amongst white people.

Then someone asked why write such an article because doesn't everyone know that white people rip off black music.

Then someone said that's what music critics and newspapers do, they critique music and American culture.

Then my new favorite poster came in and said, not only does this white dude suck, but he's part of a crazy Jewish sect in NY.

Then all hell broke loose.

The original poster said my favorite poster was a Nazi.

To which the guy said, hey I'm Jewish too. Got off my DICK!!!!

Then he got double teamed becuase that's worse. Jews shouldn't be talking about Jews, it's like outing the dirty laundry in front of all the non-Jews and especially the Jew haters, who according to one, there are far too many on Soulstrut.

Then they started arguing about what they knew about said Jewish sect, and whether they were jew hating jews.

Now it's just nonsense. But the middle was oooh so good.

my personal favorite is towards the end of the thing where this one dude comes back and is all pissed and signs his post

the dude that knows more about hassids than any of you assclowns, who doesn't have a whole lot of love for them any damn way, and who still doesn't see how this relates to the topic he originally brought up.

i mean, its like theyre trying to outjew each other like "no way bro, anything you know about hassids i already know one more fact than you...times infinity!"

seriously, if someone would throw an "infinity" in there man that would be the best.

yeah I was half joking.

I felt compelled to say that because somewhere along the line the argument turned to how screwy these hassids are and then to "you don't know shit about hassids; we live in NY and experiennce this shit first hand blah blah blah..."

fact is, I know a lot about that entire world and could school most of the folls that were trying to shout me down.

i just don't see how it relates AT ALL to my original post.

• You left out the part where Oliver showed that he is also disconnected from Jamaican patois.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    rootless when will you just stop talking? damn, dog it's like just fucking let it go.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    an "artist" who will be relegated to the used cd bins quicker than the cherry poppin daddies
    an "artist" who will be relegated to the used cd bins quicker than the cherry poppin daddies

For the record both rootless and guzzo are seemingly intelligent people with great attitudes. Rootless has lived in mtl so he has seen his share of the hassidic community. Unfortunately for both (just like when guzzo asks cashless to explain his point repeatedly, they cannot stray for an argument leaving shittalkers to embarass themselves. Its half clownin half asshurtin...basically sooulstrut...

Now post a Matysh-yahoo track or yall are soft...

• Now post a Matysh-yahoo track or yall are soft...

Call me charmin, then.

One of the most awful things about this whole thread controversy is that it shines no light on Jewish musicians in the New York City area who are actually doing work
    in the dub field,and don't openly advocate for any sectarian groups with attitudes towards actual people of West Indian descent.

So forget Mattis-whatever for a minute and look for these.

Raz Mesinai, aka Badawi, makes a lot of dub soundscape albums. They're out on ROIR.
    http://www.razmesinai.com/

Noah plays bass in No Shadow Kick (rip?), a local dub/dnb group, and runs Subatomic Sound. They put out the Dub Champions CD last year....it's breezy.
    http://www.subatomicsound.com/

King Django played trombone for Rancid and Murphy's Law, runs Version City , a dub studio out in NJ,and also does Stubborn Records things.
    http://www.stubbornrecords.com/

Victor Axelrod, aka Ticklah, has done a lot of stuff, including Daptone Recs, Antibalas, and the Roots Combination record, which was slept on.
    http://www.33rpm.com/index.php?page=detail&id=3122