Removing "mean streak" marker writing from recs...

SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
A local spot here tags up their records with these bastards. How the hell do you get it off covers?

Comments

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    I'd start by making a *67 threat call about them doing it any longer. That's super weak.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

A local spot here tags up their records with these bastards. How the hell do you get it off covers?

Wow these dudes write on the records they sell?

1/2 the reason I like LP's is the cover art.

• aradpumaaradpuma 83 Posts
    I'd start by making a *67 threat call about them doing it any longer. That's super weak.

i second this idea

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    is that a grease pencil?

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    you aren't getting meanstreak off of anything. that shit lasts forever and sticks to anything. when i go to the train yards i see streak tags on trains that are dated 1999 and they look like they were applied last week. that's incredibly stupid that people write on records with those things. on top of it being harmful to the vinyl (mean streaks contain pretty strong chemicals), those shits cost like 2 or 3 bucks a piece and don't last that long. tell them to buy a pricing gun.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    what's worse it makes every record I buy there un-eBay-able. An non-removable "$1.00" tag across the front.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    what's worse it makes every record I buy there un-eBay-able. An non-removable "$1.00" tag across the front.

Seriously, make that phone call, hommie.

yeah that really sucks. i mean, if you want to test it out on a dollarbin joint or something, try a thin rag and some "Goof Off" (obtainable at your local hardware store, comes in a little yellow can with a red spout). That's about the only thing I know of that can remove shit like aerosol paint and permanent inks from stuff.

good luck.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    Goof off makes a specially formulated version for tagging specifcally..but I'd check the ingredients to see how different it was and off course test it out first. There are a number of these products on the market...one I remember working best seemed like it was chalk based or something..its was like liquid lava it had some lame name like Graf Be Gone or something like that. The hardware store is your best bet.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I;m pretty sure that goof off with ruin the cover as well as removing the tag.

• 33thirdcom33thirdcom 2,049 Posts
    try cigarette ashes... It works on some markers.

I;m pretty sure that goof off with ruin the cover as well as removing the tag.

depends on how glossy the cover is, really. that's why i'm saying test it out, you never know.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Slightly off-topic, but related all the same...

If Dusty Grooves MUST plaster their dollarbin records with huge, hard-to-miss stickers, THEY COULD AT LEAST MAKE THEM EASY TO REMOVE...

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    The way to get permanent marker off is to write over it with whiteboard marker. Then just leave it for 30 seconds and wipe it off. Repeat as necessary.

• A local spot here tags up their records with these bastards. How the hell do you get it off covers?

yo dude! Why are your trying to hate on one of hip-hop's most importatn elements,

I put "Hello My Name is" stickers on every record I own just to make 'em even more hip-hop.

I'm telling Krs-One

• chasechase 767 Posts
    I've heard the only way to remove mean streak from GLASS is with a razor, but a porous surface your pretty much fucked...

I think Sharpie owns the mean streak name now, maybe find the # to the company and ask them.