these doods just stole my records

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    not really. but they might as well have.

a couple guys with collections ten times the size of mine (and who've been mentioned on the strut a couple times, but will remain nameless here) came over and i prepared a crate of my best stuff as I'm selling off the bulk of my collection. first dude picks 'wayne shorter - schizo', 'gangster boogie', and 'black rhythm happenin' and we agree $30 is an OK price. second dude picks 'green is beautiful', 'mcgriff - electric funk', and 'final comedown' and we agree on $60. everything is probably VG, VG+.

when it occurred i figured "i'm doing a good thing and record karma will do me well". the second they leave I'm swept over with regret, and start, quite literally, sweating it.

any of you ever been intimidated by some big dudes, selling or buying?

oh my god, someone tell me it isn't so bad...

this happened to me before. i used to BE you. the problem is that our generation are a bunch of sissys that were raised by women so we have no idea how to be a real fucking man. thus, when real men emerge and confront us, we cower in fear hoping not to be violated and praying that the threat will be "merciful" enough to allow us to breathe another day. i reached my breaking point about 10 years ago at the age of 21. i feel sorry for you if this is the way you live because it's a bad feeling. you need to grow some balls. please walk up to the next dude and bust his fucking eyes out and this will never happen to you again.

dude - you are a fucking idiot.
    did'nt you not show up to a spot one night cause you thought i was gonna beat you up?

hahaha!!!

• mallardmallard 452 Posts

would "take your eye out" also've been appropriate?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    uhhh - it doesn't sound like you got ripped off to me.

You might have got more on eBay, but you say they were only
    medium-grade copies, and you had the convienence of them coming
    to you and paying in cash, which should be worth something.
    In the situation you were in, I think most people would expect to
    pay a little less than a store might charge, you got the cash you
    needed, and I'm sure you still have plenty of records left.

Don't sweat it.

• girgir 329 Posts
    All you need is one runout groove and a space echo.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• I think it's good to clean up at times to get the motivation back. I sold 30 records or something in november (I didn't own a $ and was going nowhere fast). Some of them were nice but I thought that it would be harder to let them go. But still I got pissed that I lost them, and collected the money and bought alot of records, and now I've got my motivation back to hit the crates..

• I'll try to torrent that Vinyl movie, unless you guys think yousendit is a viable option.

I personally didn't think it was that great of a film. The production value was alright. But basically it's about dudes personal issues/demons more than it is about vinyl. Yes, it also touches on the neurosis of collecting, which was the most interesting part about the whole film (for me). But, I guess I wasn't expecting it to be such a dreary, guilt-ridden, downer.

That being said....I concur, being attached to "things" is not healthy, in any situation.

• not really. but they might as well have.

a couple guys with collections ten times the size of mine (and who've been mentioned on the strut a couple times, but will remain nameless here) came over and i prepared a crate of my best stuff as I'm selling off the bulk of my collection. first dude picks 'wayne shorter - schizo', 'gangster boogie', and 'black rhythm happenin' and we agree $30 is an OK price. second dude picks 'green is beautiful', 'mcgriff - electric funk', and 'final comedown' and we agree on $60. everything is probably VG, VG+.

when it occurred i figured "i'm doing a good thing and record karma will do me well". the second they leave I'm swept over with regret, and start, quite literally, sweating it.

this happened to me before. i used to BE you. the problem is that our generation are a bunch of sissys that were raised by women so we have no idea how to be a real fucking man. thus, when real men emerge and confront us, we cower in fear hoping not to be violated and praying that the threat will be "merciful" enough to allow us to breathe another day. i reached my breaking point about 10 years ago at the age of 21. i feel sorry for you if this is the way you live because it's a bad feeling. you need to grow some balls. please walk up to the next dude and bust his fucking eyes out and this will never happen to you again.

well, coming from some suburban, molly-coddled faggot who rocked ATCQ back in the day on some "we-got-the-jazz" shit, rayon shirts and guess overalls from the mall, that's a compliment.

I ROCK SLAUSON SWAP MEET JOINTS ONLY.
    POST YOUR PHYSICAL ADDRESS OR YOU ARE A SISSY.

• Double_BDouble_B 169 Posts

I don't think this is good advice at all.

Here's some advice: Treat records like any other thing you would sell! Investigate their value before you sell them. Talk to a friend or look at other sales of the same items. Make your price with some negotiating room.

Do all this BEFORE you show them to anyone. And attach the price to the record sleeve so people know how much it is. Now the only thing you have to worry about is a little haggling.

If it takes you a couple hours to price all your records it'll be far less work than all the worrying you've already done.

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts

• IronfeetIronfeet 516 Posts

seriously seriously seriously.

sell all your records before you get in too deep.
    getting that attached to material objects is not healthy.

Dude they just records they come they go I hope you have more important things in life going on cause a records ain't shit... They good for a hobbie... ANd you did get a good price for them for the cond... I could care less about my wax if somthing happened I wouldn't care I'd just be bummed that I didn't sell them no BIG DEAL.... There's more important things....

• progbeatzprogbeatz 451 Posts

well, coming from some suburban, molly-coddled faggot who rocked ATCQ back in the day on some "we-got-the-jazz" shit, rayon shirts and guess overalls from the mall, that's a compliment.

I ROCK SLAUSON SWAP MEET JOINTS ONLY.

Bzzzzz!!!!!!!! wrong answer.I don't think hcrink was rocking tribe at any point.Do you read any of his posts.Who the fuck are you? Molly-coddled faggot?? Dude,why don't you go and shit in your pants or something.

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts

...collections ten times the size of mine...
    ...start, quite literally, sweating it...
    ...been intimidated by some big dudes...
    ...oh my god, someone tell me it isn't so bad...

I'm usually not one to pass judgement, but this is seriously one of the most pathetic things I've ever read.

It's a pile of records dude, get out and enjoy some fresh air.

• DWGDWG 334 Posts
    I'll try to torrent that Vinyl movie, unless you guys think yousendit is a viable option.

I'd love to see that. I read about it a while back, but haven't found it in the UK yet anywhere.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    Treat records like any other thing you would sell! Investigate their value before you sell them. Talk to a friend or look at other sales of the same items. Make your price with some negotiating room.

Do all this BEFORE you show them to anyone. And attach the price to the record sleeve so people know how much it is. Now the only thing you have to worry about is a little haggling.

If it takes you a couple hours to price all your records it'll be far less work than all the worrying you've already done.

yeah, make sure you can flip thru that crate you are offering and know what you would take for each one, before anyone comes over. voila, you know what will work for you, now it just remains to be seen what you are offered, and see if things jibe. etc.

• Double_BDouble_B 169 Posts

Here's some advice: Treat records like any other thing you would sell! Investigate their value before you sell them. Talk to a friend or look at other sales of the same items. Make your price with some negotiating room.

the reason why you think it's bad advice proves that the post is true. You tremble just reading about a confrontation.

This is not about records or prices, but about confidence and "testicular fortitude." He could have priced those records at triple the price and those dudes would have still punked him out for 'em. Why? we're fucking animals. Grow some balls and this will never happen again.

OK it's time to face facts. You gave some stupid advice to a dude who is having a nervous breakdown about a bunch of records.

He's not selling heroin, you genius. We're animals? Most dudes who collect records who I know are not exactly streetfighters. That's including me.

If I met the biggest pussy on earth and he asked me if buying and selling old records most people aren't interested in was a safe hobby, I wouldn't tell him to grow some balls. OK? If only tough guys like you can sell records these days, the world is REALLY fucked.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts

He's not selling heroin, you genius. We're animals? Most dudes who collect records who I know are not exactly streetfighters. That's including me.

you wouldnt survive at the KUSF show then... or any of the other record shows ive been too. cats knuckle up here at the garage and fight over rare $10 records... its like a bunch of jungle cats fighting over some catnip.

...and dont be pulled into the web homie. folks are just fucking with you...

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    the reason why you think it's bad advice proves that the post is true. You tremble just reading about a confrontation.

This is not about records or prices, but about confidence and "testicular fortitude." He could have priced those records at triple the price and those dudes would have still punked him out for 'em. Why? we're fucking animals. Grow some balls and this will never happen again.

jesus... this psychoanalyst gig isn't working for you, take your testicles back to whatever you do for a day job.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    i used to BE you. the problem is that our generation are a bunch of sissys that were raised by women so we have no idea how to be a real fucking man. thus, when real men emerge and confront us, we cower in fear hoping not to be violated and praying that the threat will be "merciful" enough to allow us to breathe another day.

hilarious! unfortunately, though, not very creative. creativity is key when talking shit, doncha think?

too bad - now i'm re-thinking my whole "one of my favourite posters" stance. ah well, it was good while it lasted.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    i used to BE you. the problem is that our generation are a bunch of sissys that were raised by women so we have no idea how to be a real fucking man. thus, when real men emerge and confront us, we cower in fear hoping not to be violated and praying that the threat will be "merciful" enough to allow us to breathe another day.

hilarious! unfortunately, though, not very creative. creativity is key when talking shit, doncha think?

oh snap! spot on, missbasie

• cats knuckle up here at the garage and fight over rare $10 records... its like a bunch of jungle cats fighting over some catnip.

Justin, don't forget to put newspaper down on the ground this time so it's easier to clean up the blood. I'm gripping a roll of quarters this time and I ain't fixin' to do no laundry.

• JazzsuckaJazzsucka 720 Posts

cats knuckle up here at the garage and fight over rare $10 records... its like a bunch of jungle cats fighting over some catnip.

Justin, don't forget to put newspaper down on the ground this time so it's easier to clean up the blood. I'm gripping a roll of quarters this time and I ain't fixin' to do no laundry.

Ya'll are gonna get STEPPD ON!

Or, maybe I'll just puke on you when I arrive there late and hungover with a couple of hours of sleep had between the club and Jinx's garage, grasping a cup of coffee with trembling hands.

• mallardmallard 452 Posts
    humans are animals. and, this is life advice, if you read my first response, it wasn't about selling records. The act was just a manifestation of a deeper problem: he's a yellow-bellied, chicked-hearted sissy. If he gets stepped on while doing leisurely activities, then he must be a total fag in other human relations. right??

WHY is he a fucking weak-hearted cream puff? it's a generational defect. and it needs to be stopped... just go fucking punch somebody in the damn nose, dip your finger in his (or her....because it's women that fucked us up in the first place!)blood and paint "I'M FREE" on your forehead. master this feeling...it is human biology, my man. Liberation!

AND GET THE FUCK OUT OF FRISCO!

i think it's about time i spoke up for myself here.

referring back to my initial post now, it does seem a bit on the pathetic side. for the few years i've been adamant about collecting and listening to records never once did it cross my mind that a time would come where i'd have no other option but to sell those records. while hard to deal with initially, i've been able to pretty much get over it (thanks, partially at least, to a good ole-fashioned dose of tough-strut-love). i'm content with not having those records. i'd much rather have them of course, but to imagine they'd stay with me for eternity isn't very sensible. i also have the comfort of knowing they're in good hands.

as far as me being a yellow-bellied, chicken-hearted sissy, i'm not quite sure i'm convinced. i'm sure some people might say i'm a weak-hearted cream puff, but then again some people advocate punching somebody in their damn nose for no reason, and frankly that is not my steez. i'm sure of that. to truly believe that liberation is achieved through malevolence is naive to say the least.

finally, after further examination i began to have second thoughts concerning your generational defect theory. talking to my mom today i realized she has a much stronger will than I. sure, she never took me to the cock-fights at the platinum horse (despite my begging), but she's always encouraged me to speak up for myself while also instilling enough sensitivity to make me into the total fag i am today. i can appreciate that.

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts
    finally, after further examination i began to have second thoughts concerning your generational defect theory. talking to my mom today i realized she has a much stronger will than I. sure, she never took me to the cock-fights at the platinum horse (despite my begging), but she's always encouraged me to speak up for myself while also instilling enough sensitivity to make me into the total fag i am today. i can appreciate that.

Okay, this was fucking funny. Bravo, sir.

• The Raise UpThe Raise Up Golden Years... wah wah wah 452 Posts
    i'm content with not having those records. i'd much rather have them of course, but to imagine they'd stay with me for eternity isn't very sensible. i also have the comfort of knowing they're in good hands.[/b]

What does this matter?

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    i'm content with not having those records. i'd much rather have them of course, but to imagine they'd stay with me for eternity isn't very sensible. i also have the comfort of knowing they're in good hands.[/b]

What does this matter?

I don't know, in my case, it helps me to sleep at night. The world is full of sick bastards record abusers, so when I know one of my records is in the hands of a dedicated and loving collectro, I find peace of mind in that.

Also, when a record dies, does it go to record heaven? I need to believe that. A place where all my records are again sealed, mint, with shiny covers...one day I'll see them again. We run like rivers, like rivers to the sea. HOPE.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

OK it's time to face facts. You gave some stupid advice to a dude who is having a nervous breakdown about a bunch of records.

If I met the biggest pussy on earth and he asked me if buying and selling old records most people aren't interested in was a safe hobby, I wouldn't tell him to grow some balls. OK? If only tough guys like you can sell records these days, the world is REALLY fucked.

humans are animals. and, this is life advice, if you read my first response, it wasn't about selling records. The act was just a manifestation of a deeper problem: he's a yellow-bellied, chicked-hearted sissy. If he gets stepped on while doing leisurely activities, then he must be a total fag in other human relations. right??

WHY is he a fucking weak-hearted cream puff? it's a generational defect. and it needs to be stopped... just go fucking punch somebody in the damn nose, dip your finger in his (or her....because it's women that fucked us up in the first place!)blood and paint "I'M FREE" on your forehead. master this feeling...it is human biology, my man. Liberation!

AND GET THE FUCK OUT OF FRISCO!

you just advocated beating up a woman and finger-paiting with her blood.
    please stay hidden behind your computer because with ideas like these running around in your brain you're only going to cause and get into trouble in the real world.

Also, when a record dies, does it go to record heaven? I need to believe that. A place where all my records are again sealed, mint, with shiny covers...one day I'll see them again. We run like rivers, like rivers to the sea. HOPE.

That's so beautiful man.

• JUST THINK OF HOW FREE AND TOUGH POSTING YOUR PHYSICAL ADDRESS WILL MAKE YOU FEEL! OR ARE YOU NOT READY FOR THAT LEVEL OF FREEDOM AND TOUGHNESS?