Digging in JAMAICA tips please.

ShahShah 35 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
Yo,Me and my girl are off to Jamaica for holiday and I want to get my dig on! Can anyone sort me with some connects or record shops to hit for some OG King Tubby, Dillinger, etc, etc type reggae, dub, dance hall.I would get you back in kind upon my return Sh

Comments

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    I'm afraid this post will have an unhappy ending. Finding OG dub and reggae out there is massively difficult so I've heard. I'm sure others will expound

• Paging Magnetic, who will tell you that there really are no records in Jamaica (and the ones you'll find are trashed/overpriced).

Sorry.

• ShahShah 35 Posts
    Is it like expecting to find soul 45 in Memphis? F***ing dealers. Maybe I should just delete this thread now...

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    Paging Magnetic, who will tell you that there really are no records in Jamaica (and the ones you'll find are trashed/overpriced).

Sorry.

So true,it's more than likely you'll be staying on the north coast of the island,you'll have to come to Kingston to see the trashed/overpriced records.

• ShahShah 35 Posts
    fuggit, i'll just kickit on the beach then. In the last year I have taken my collection from 6000+ records to about 300. But then again I flipped my records for drums machines synths and the like.

Maybe I should ask...does anyone know were I can dig for the Jah Shaker sound system and tape echos

• Options
    Unless you got fam down there, you're just out of luck. Earl in Kingston is the best store IMO, but you gotta pay 19.99-499.99 a 45. You're better off calling me up

Kevin in Canada.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Dude in Kingston who sells megaraers. If you don't bring major $ apparently, he won't entertain your offers and you have to bring a list. PM for further info. I plan to hit him when I'm in Jamaica, let me know if you do it how it went.
    Peace
    T.N.

• TheGoochTheGooch 541 Posts
    Yo,
    Me and my girl are off to Jamaica for holiday and I want to get my dig on! Can anyone sort me with some connects or record shops to hit for some OG King Tubby, Dillinger, etc, etc type reggae, dub, dance hall.

I would get you back in kind upon my return

Sh

I guess it depends how brave you are on venturing out to the spots as well. I went to jamiaca a few years ago and its pretty gangsta outside the hotel community.

• ShahShah 35 Posts
    I'm cool with that I am an apparent Arabian

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    I'm cool with that I am an apparent Arabian

... I mean

• Options
    Got one or want one?

K.

Got one or want one?

K.

No comment. OK is it $150?

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Yo Shah,

NO records in Jamaica mayne. These hommies bought em all years ago....

• Options
    Got one or want one?

K.

To be honest, I've never seen it sell. Could be $40, could be $400.

K.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Doesn't matter how you look. You could be black, you still gotta watch your back in a many parts of Kingston.

• Options
    Would Rey be able to buy his way out?

K.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts

K.

You mean

"Take my parents' credit cards, just don't hurt me"???

Got one or want one?

K.

K.

So if I paypal you $40 there's a 50% chance of it showing up in the mail? Remember, record karma, K.

K.

You mean

"Take my parents' credit cards, just don't hurt me"???

He could ball his way out: "Let me buy all your records for 10 grand and then I'll sell em back for cabfare to the airport."

• Options
    Got one or want one?

K.

K.

So if I paypal you $40 there's a 50% chance of it showing up in the mail? Remember, record karma, K.

Skewed math if you ask me. My estimate includes all point between 40 and 400. 400-40 = $360. If you pay me 360/2=$180 then you have a 50% chance of it showing up.

True no?, Kevin.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    Doesn't matter how you look. You could be black, you still gotta watch your back in a many parts of Kingston.

I worked alongside an electrician named preacher for a couple of weeks some years ago. Preacher was a black guy who emigrated from Jamaica to Toronto in the 70s. He told me a story about getting carjacked at gunpoint when he returned to Jamaica to visit family. He was quite adament that your colour didn't matter, if you're not a local you're a target.