Do you actually believe in record karma?

the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts
edited November 2015 in Record Collecting
or is the whole record game chaos?

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I absolutely believe in record karma.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    if you act like a sketchy rip-off mofo then people don't want to deal with you, it limits your opportunities etc.

I wouldn't call that karma though.

some people have bragged that they were gonna be pulling raers right & left because their intent was pure - I call bullshit on that.

---

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

me too. and i believe in bike karma, book karma and cruelty karma.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Sometimes I project myself coming up rare at local shops. Rarely it works.

As I get older, the less I believe in karma. I know shyster dudes who have a lot of money and live kush lifestyles. And kind, righteous dudes who come up empty.

Still, believing is one thing. I'll always practice.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

I know shyster dudes who have a lot of money and live kush lifestyles.

but they might be totally broke and in the gutter inside

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    i believe their is..........right before i went diggin with my boy i hooked him up with some free bruton library joint he had been bugging me for.so then we hit up the spot and i pull a mint don blackman out the dollar bin. do good and you shall be blessed

• ariel_calmerariel_calmer 3,762 Posts
    I call bullshit on that.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    I do. In a sense that's pretty selfish too.

I never fuck people over for records and I makes me believe that I will keep finding good shit. And I do.

• Not karma pers??, but i do believe in "Doing unto others as you would have them do to you" and think that a lot of things in life work along this principle.

Sometimes I project myself coming up rare at local shops. Rarely it works.

Thats the difference between a healthy private mind garden and actual karma

I know shyster dudes who have a lot of money and live kush lifestyles. And kind, righteous dudes who come up empty.

They will rot in hell and / or die a horrible death. Otherwise imma be really pissed.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    I don't believe in karma, but I do believe in a professional approach to my interaction with dealers and stores. You don't get anywhere by being sketchy.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    but they might be totally broke and in the gutter inside

this is every collectro.

banished to the plane of the hungry ghosts, they keep tossing material objects into the abyss of their soul...

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    I do as far as trades/sales go

I think back to my disapointement when purchasing items and for that I will never lie in a trippy acid psych= crappy polish choir type way

I don't believe in karma, but I do believe in a professional approach to my interaction with dealers and stores. You don't get anywhere by being sketchy.

Fine but I prefer to say Karma vs. I'm not a fucking underhanded asshole.

It just sounds better.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    Can someone please elaborate on what record karma is? Do you mean, buying records at fair prices? Do you alert people that they have $100 records in their dollar bins? Does it mean you tell the guy on foodstamps whose collection you're checking out, his records are worth money? Does it mean if you've come up like crazy, you give dude who walked in the store one record you pulled? Does it mean not buying doubles to resell or trade so someone else can find it?
    Because if you mean not fucking people over, that is a relative statement.

• Can someone please elaborate on what record karma is? Do you mean, buying records at fair prices? Do you alert people that they have $100 records in their dollar bins? Does it mean you tell the guy on foodstamps whose collection you're checking out, his records are worth money? Does it mean if you've come up like crazy, you give dude who walked in the store one record you pulled? Does it mean not buying doubles to resell or trade so someone else can find it?

I will go further. The very definition of digging is screwing people over.

MarcoFunk and Reynaldo are gathering all the record karma in the universe by actually paying people more than their records are worth. As far as I can tell the only payback for their record karma is Strutter ridicule.

Can someone please elaborate on what record karma is? Do you mean, buying records at fair prices? Do you alert people that they have $100 records in their dollar bins? Does it mean you tell the guy on foodstamps whose collection you're checking out, his records are worth money? Does it mean if you've come up like crazy, you give dude who walked in the store one record you pulled? Does it mean not buying doubles to resell or trade so someone else can find it?

I mean shit like the example I posted in the DAKAR is lying thread.

I always try to establish prices when looking at collections in homes before I touch any records. If granny says $1 each and I pull a grip of blue notes, that is fine. But if someone is waiting to see what I pull and then tries to price them off ebay or some guide book I can usually politeley school them on condition and shit. I even took this one dude onto popsike one day.

But if paying less than market for records is bad Karma. I'm gonna come back as a pig's sphincter.

MarcoFunk and Reynaldo...the only payback for their record karma is Strutter ridicule.

I have nothing but respect for Rey's highrollerness.

I can't even think about Marcofunk.

well, when you're buying records to me it means unless there is a pre-set price to not be a total greedy underhanded tool and make a respectable offer (which can even be short of your top offer but at least is in the ballpark).

Not stealing records.

Not screwing someone over on a trade because they don't know the value of a record.

Not prying the last copy of a record off its creator, creator's mother, creator's children, etc.

Not lying about your reasons for wanting to source a record - ie, "I just collect this kind of stuff, nobody really cares except me, but yeah I need all 30 copies" or "I just really want to play it on my college radio show, how's $20 sound?" ( ) or "I sell records, usually $10 for a sealed LP, so yeah I could give you $5 per record for a few of them or $3 per record for the whole box."

Not selling a record to someone that has shit like invisible skips, surface noise, cue burn, or other invisible defects before giving them a chance to check it out first.

Wholesale dealers! Not lying to your buyer like "yeah, you're the first guy to go through this stuff, nobody's even seen it, shit I just got it fifteen minutes before you got here" or "everything's clean and I want to just get rid of it for cheap" (4 hours later, 'yeah this stack of VG records will be $10 a piece, man you should've seen the stuff so-and-so got here yesterday!')

Basically, not being a total bum in the record game will reap you rewards. Being shady gets around - this is a very, very small world.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    I believe in record Karma. But in a sense, its no big deal to me. Cause I don't collect anymore. Unless of course it transfers over to life Karma... Then it's another story!

About 6 months ago I gave up a contact for one mutha fuckin crazy record collection. I owed someone for something record biz related and I put the wheels in motion for him to get at it. Dude will probably make 100K off it. One of the craziest collections I've ever heard of for promo 12"s.

C'est La Vie

Sometimes life isn't all about coming out with all the records and money you can.

Also, record Karma should be here for people that can't be bothered to pay .25 to a buck for a record from a Goodwill/Salvation Army, so they rip it off. I'm not mad at your game... Just hope for your sake it never comes back to you 10X over.

Oh yeah, and like last night I was going through a collection. "Everything on the shelves is for sale, everything on the floor isn't". I go through the shelves, kind of meh, and just to amuse myself (the guy was out back working) I start going through stuff on the floor. Oh shit. Intrigues on Yew. Iron Pot Cooker. What Color Is Love. Anime soundtracks. A completely thrashed copy of Skull Snaps... but enough to let me know there was heat. I look at what must've been a few thousand records lying around in piles, and I'm thinking, "he won't know if I slip a few in my stack". Well, I decide put them back and let them lie, hoping that he'll just call me once he's done going through them. Sure enough, "yeah I should be through the rest in a week, I'll give you a call next week and you can come back." And he gave me a good deal on what I did pull.

Karma.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    Good examples Jonny. So I guess record karma just equates with being honest about your dealings. I'm all for that, and yes everyone's reputation preceeds them, so watch what you do in this record game folls, your greed will be your own undoing.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    or is the whole record game chaos?

The exact moment when you find order in the record game chaos, that's when you become a true digger.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    I believe in hustle and spending money.

I believe in hustle

Define "hustle":

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

Dear Reynaldo. Let me start saying I'm your number 1 latinamerican fan. Now...
    If SS was a theater and you were doing a stand up show, I'm sure the audience would go after one more of your money jokes. Plaese, find something new! You are going through a LAS-VEGAS-FAT-ELVIS phase.

• the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts
    Plaese, find something new! You are going through a LAS-VEGAS-FAT-ELVIS phase.

dude has been dead in the toilet for at least a year now

• the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts
    I believe in hustle

Define "hustle":

"OK, its more about spending money

I believe in hustle

Define "hustle":
    I'm using it to mean: "To sell or get by questionable or aggressive means"; with "questionable" meaning "Of dubious morality or respectability."

Dear Reynaldo. Let me start saying I'm your number 1 latinamerican fan. Now...
    If SS was a theater and you were doing a stand up show, I'm sure the audience would go after one more of your money jokes. Plaese, find something new! You are going through a LAS-VEGAS-FAT-ELVIS phase.
    Ultimately, I find hate less odious and more nourishing than praise--seeing as how I've had more than my fill of the latter--so I prod the audience to keep feeding me.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    debating, defining, and justifying 'record karma' defeats the entire purpose of karma.
    If you believe in karma, cool. If you dont, cool. However, when you find yourself doing 'the right thing' with the intent to get something in return later down the road (via karma) you are kidding yourself and making a mockery of the entire principal. Play nice because you want to place nice, not for what may come of your actions.