Do you actually believe in record karma?

2»

Comments

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    debating, defining, and justifying 'record karma' defeats the entire purpose of karma.
    If you believe in karma, cool. If you dont, cool. However, when you find yourself doing 'the right thing' with the intent to get something in return later down the road (via karma) you are kidding yourself and making a mockery of the entire principal. Play nice because you want to place nice, not for what may come of your actions.

So my whole 'reading-to-the-blind-prior-to-hitting-the-flea-market' plan won't work??

drat & double drat.

---

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    debating, defining, and justifying 'record karma' defeats the entire purpose of karma.
    If you believe in karma, cool. If you dont, cool. However, when you find yourself doing 'the right thing' with the intent to get something in return later down the road (via karma) you are kidding yourself and making a mockery of the entire principal. Play nice because you want to place nice, not for what may come of your actions.

So my whole 'reading-to-the-blind-prior-to-hitting-the-flea-market' plan won't work??

drat & double drat.

---

ha ha, yeah well.
    It seems that a lot of people are on their good behavior because of karma, which is not the way to live in my opinion.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

drat & double drat.

---

ha ha, yeah well.
    It seems that a lot of people are on their good behavior because of karma, which is not the way to live in my opinion.

I believe karma exists for the purpose of keeping people's asses in line. It's life's lesson. All that collective good and universal energy shit doesn't matter if people don't fear the (bad) consequences of their actions.

this thread has also been ignoring the reverse effect:

you find east of underground in the dollar bin, but get home to find your house is now a pile of smoking rubble...

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

this gives a whole new twist to the phrase "rubbing one out"...

[/rimshot]

---

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    I absolutely DO NOT believe in record karma.

But just to be on the safe side, I sacrafice one Leo Sayer LP on every full moon to the record gods.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    I don't subscribe to any record forum theology that uses the term "record karma".

As far as the hustla spendin' money conversation, sometimes a hustla has to go into the red to get ahead. Gotta get that bread.

• MarcoFunk and Reynaldo are gathering all the record karma in the universe by actually paying people more than their records are worth. As far as I can tell the only payback for their record karma is Strutter ridicule.

Most days, there is one post that makes me feel like all the time I spend on SoulStrut is worth it.

This is that post for today.

And no, I don't believe in record karma. I believe in karma karma. Meaning that if I screw someone over on a record, the bad luck that may befall me as a result of said act may have nothing to do with records. I might lose my wallet, catch the flu, miss out on a gig, or something else, but it won't necessarily have anything to do with records.

Everything is everything, people.

• the3rdstream,

Your good record karma is continually nullified by the fact you voted for George W. Bush--as is all of your good karma.

• What happend to being nice just to be nice?

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I hope so, I always try to give away any surplus records to friends first before I sell them. I just hooked a friend up with around 100 LPs last weekend and I have another pile of stuff waiting to go to another friend. It's way cooler than selling them online or to some sheisty store. So there has to be some sort of record karma.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    I believe in Karma as a whole, not only related to Records.

do unto others etc. (no i am not religious) i try to live my life in a respectful way. notice i said 'try', noones perfect and we all slip up, but as Paycheck said, lifes lesson is always close behind to kick you in the ass if you do.

As for the sheisty dealers living large, maybe they are failing in other aspects of their life. i like to think that they have STDs and piss blood.

oh fuck, here comes Karma...

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I found an OG Harlem River Drive for under $10 last night -
    I have to admit, I immediately thought of how 6 months ago I was
    visiting my friend working at Stereo Jack's records, and flipping through
    the New Arrivals I found an OG Harlem RD, priced at $10 - I brought
    it over to her and told her "you need this record" even though I only
    had a reissue and could also use the $100 it would bring, I wanted her
    to have it. I'm not looking to say what a great guy I am, it just came naturally -
    but when I found that cheap OG last night, it made complete sense to me.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    i like to think that they have STDs and piss blood.

karma mop is gonna get you for this one...

• I don't know if I believe in record karma..

..but I do believe that some people are record magnets. I know a dude who consistently comes up big, and he doesn't even try that hard. If we go to the flea market together typically every box he looks through has something crazy in it... Thankfully he always hooks me up.

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    I was playing one of the Chairman Mao mix cds at work. One of the older dudes perks his ears up and tells me if i like this kind of music he has a whole box of records from the 70's that he never listens to anymore and that i can have.
    I'm like hell yeah and he says im sure we can work out a deal.
    The guy basically wants to do a trade the price of a DVD for the 30 odd records that he slings me.
    There wasn't any thing super rare but just a nice collection of Herbie hancock, george benson and the like. If i had bought him his dvd it would have worked out at like a buck a piece.I couldn't in good concious do it. I slung him what i thought he could get at store if he sold him.
    Still only worked out like five bucks a record and the dude was super suprised i think he thought he was pushing his luck for like thirty.
    I just couldn't take advantage of him knowing what the real worth of the records was...

• aegisaegis 261 Posts
    Approximately 2 hours after I shipped out my "Heatrock" I found a cleaner copy at the same place I found the first. It made me feel bad, though, since I would have shipped the cleaner one had I found it sooner.

• the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts
    the3rdstream,

Your good record karma is continually nullified by the fact you voted for George W. Bush--as is all of your good karma.

another precious moment from the trust fund ebay "hustler"

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    the3rdstream,

Dude, you voted for bush?...

self

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    found an OG Harlem RD, priced at $10 - I brought
    it over to her[/b] and told her[/b] "you need this record" even though I only had a reissue and could also use the $100 it would bring, I wanted her[/b]
    to have it.

Karma Shmarma! You better had got some cut-up for that!

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    found an OG Harlem RD, priced at $10 - I brought
    it over to her[/b] and told her[/b] "you need this record" even though I only had a reissue and could also use the $100 it would bring, I wanted her[/b]
    to have it.

Karma Shmarma! You better had got some cut-up for that!

LOL

not only is that record karma, that is luhhhhvv karma

• the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts
    the3rdstream,

Dude, you voted for bush?...

self

things i did on election day 2004 in free verse

wake up
    pick friend up at airport who was home on leave from navy
    get lunch with friend
    go to theater to see the grudge with friend
    go record shopping with friend
    drop friend off at brothers house
    proceed to get baked with friend and his brother
    watch ali g movie, that was weak