Mystery skips...

prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
edited March 2006 in Strut Central
Ok, this is about the 3rd record this has happened to me, and wondering if anyone else has experienced the same:Have a record that is fairly scuffed, but still playable. None of the scuffs you can feel with your fingers (i.e. they don't dig into the vinyl that deep). During playback it skipped, so I did the usual routine of playing the record right before the skip to pinpoint the location. What did I find? Nothing - no scratch, no skip, no boogers, nothing. So, I adjust the weight on the tonearm, and make it reeeeal light, where the needle is almost floating on top of the record, and voila! No skips. I've had this happen on a brand new, out of the package record as well, and it's a pain in the ass to say the least. And my needles/cartridges are only about 2 months old, so I don't think that's the problem either. Anyone else have something similar to this, and is there any remedy besides adjusting the tonearm weight? Is it a pressing problem, or are the grooves just worn out? thanks!

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    In my rookie days when I'd buy reissues, all the Meters reissues I bought would skip fresh outta the package. Perhaps a cheaper turntable + very tightly grooved records? I dunno. I have felt your pain though.

• In my rookie days when I'd buy reissues, all the Meters reissues I bought would skip fresh outta the package. Perhaps a cheaper turntable + very tightly grooved records? I dunno. I have felt your pain though.

interesting. Yeah, I think it's just the grooves, but it's weird, cause all the offenders have been double pack LPs and a 12" single - all OG non-reish. And I'm using tech 1210s and shure m447s.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Do you clean your records? It' oh

• Do you clean your records? It' oh

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Do you clean your records? It' oh

OK, now we can move to your gear:

- Is yout TT leveled?

- Is your cartridge properly aligned?

- Did you set the tracking force according to Shure's specs?

- How about anti-skating?

• Do you clean your records? It' oh

OK, now we can move to your gear:

- Is yout TT leveled?

- How about anti-skating?

yeah man, I've been doing this for 15 years, so I got all that stuff down pat. It might be a leveling of the TT issue as anyone who's lived in Brooklyn can attest to wavy floors out here. But like I said, it's only happened on 3 records, and in two different apartments I've lived in in the last year, and one of them while playing out - so we can check off trying it on different setups. And as I said in my first post, they play fine when I put the tone-arm counter weight on super light so the needle is barely touching the record.

I mean, it's not a HUGE deal, but I was just wondering if anyone had heard of this before and had alternate solutions...

• SooksSooks 714 Posts
    I've had this before - never knew what it was either...

What's bothering me lately is what I've been calling "frictionless records," which slip and slide on the slipmat much more than other records... I don't know if they're warped or what (they don't seem to be), but they can be very hard to cue, as you have to give them a push to make them start spinning. I have a copy of Funky Serenity where this is so bad that if I turn up the force on the needle, I can completely prevent the record from spinning at all!

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    sometimes there are small scratches that run almost parallel to the grooves and as such you can really see them but they cause a skip.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    Have a record that is fairly scuffed, but still playable.

Probably just a good old cases of wear and tear....You can Try " fixing" it as recommended in a previous thread about fixing skips.

I've had this happen on a brand new, out of the package record as well,

Though uncommon, pressing defects are for real. A dealer I worked for had like 50 Sealed Raer Private Press Joints of the same title. When a buyer wrote back that his record skipped the dealer opened a couple more of the sealed records and low and behold they all skipped in the exact same point of the song the buyer described. I would say its probably more of an issue with Private presses because perhaps they didnt get any test pressings to screen for errors or someone was just asleep at the wheel. I beleive thats why test pressings are made to check for quality in mastering and on the vinyl. With private pressings its more likey they just took it to the bank before waiting for the check to clear. Sometimes there are little bubbles and blurbs in the wax that dont effect the play, but are visually displeasing.

When it happens with New vinyl are they on Major Labels?? Just curious if my theory holds truth.

• CPR - Hi p******! Yeah, if there are scratches on this that are causing skips, they are undetectable by the eye.

JustAlice: well here's the breakdown: 2 of the records are old (3rd Bass "Derelicts of Dialect" LP, and Grandmaster Flash & Furious 5 "Superappin'" 12") and the other is new (Beans "Shock City Maverick" LP).

I have a indy hip hop 12 (Mike Zoot "High Drama") that has a skip in the first pressing of this record. So all 500 or 1000 or whatever they pressed the first time around have a skip in them at the same spot. Another one is the promo version of "Distortion to Static" b/w "The Lesson" by the Roots (on Geffen). All the radio and club DJs had skips in their records all in the same spot. I remember being pissed when I got my copy at my college radio station at the time, only to be relieved that I wasn't the only one.

and again, these records play fine if I have the needle set EXTREMELY light. I even exchanged the Beans LP at the shop I got it at, and the same song skipped on the new copy - but strangely did NOT skip on the listening station in the store. (and it was my favorite joint too!)

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    i had this issue with Joe Farrell - Upon This Rock where it skips right in the middle of the damn break, and my friend has a copy of the same record with the same exact skip. although i used to have a different copy of the same record and it did not have that issue, it was probably an earlier or later pressing. i'm pretty sure those types of issues are pressing-defect-related. atu "mood pieces" has one of those in it too on the song blast off into infinity or whatever. i should check my derelects of dialect lp and see if it has the skip. what song?

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    What's up with those scratches that only cut across a single groove? The record can look minty as hell and you'll never know until you get it home. Super hard to see, damn I hate that!

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    I had that problem last night and it was even a brand new record, so I know it wasnt a problem with a previous owner. Usually, it happens when the pressing plant tried to put too many tracks on the record. The grooves get compressed and skips occur.
    Rather than adding heavier weight, I would mess with the anti-skate feature on the tone arm, it solved my problem anyway.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    work it out - go to where it skips and do a little zigga zigga, or gently push the needle down right as it hits the part where it skips (not advisable on raer) do it a couple times and it will play fine. I have done this with new hip hop 12in a bunch of times and some old 45's and it almost always works. Clean it first though, only use this as a last resort.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    actually...[pushes up glasses and snorts] this is a problem with mastering... engineers have to master specifically for vinyl because of this issue. when certain frequencies cross, for example: a snare and kick hitting at the same time, it can make the diamond skip in the cutting process. Most pressing houses will flatten this out before it goes to press, but occasionally a record will slip through the cracks. here lies your problem.

check: (king of vinyl) dj shadow's number song on the 12" and lp versions.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Sounds like this is a thread about pressing flaws. Sometimes, the LP press comes with two channels abutting against each other. I have an otherwise perfect copy of Let's Get It On like this; if you get out a magnifying glass (or take off your glasses, for the near-sighted), you can sometimes see the threads come so close together that a needle hitting the spot will just jump them. It's really rare for this to happen. I'm guessing that your problem is either that, or the dreaded With-The-Groove Scratch.

I do not in any way advocate pressing a needle down onto a playing record. This can ruin records instantly.

Can SS get a "Records FAQ" up so folks don't have to become victims of themselves? Like a Do-It-Yourself Cleaner and Scratch-Eraser Techniques section outside of the forum? Then, we wouldn't have the same threads all the time. We could also employ a "Take It To The Record FAQ" graemlin for those inclined.

• autezautez 404 Posts

can someone please explain these 2. i have a m447

• actually...[pushes up glasses and snorts] this is a problem with mastering... engineers have to master specifically for vinyl because of this issue. when certain frequencies cross, for example: a snare and kick hitting at the same time, it can make the diamond skip in the cutting process. Most pressing houses will flatten this out before it goes to press, but occasionally a record will slip through the cracks. here lies your problem.

check: (king of vinyl) dj shadow's number song on the 12" and lp versions.

yeah, I kinda assumed it was something along these lines, cause they generally skipped on parts that really hit loud - like a bass kick, or some loud vocals.

Meh, guess I'll just have to live with a feather-light tonearm on select records, and not worry about it too much, cause Dildo is the anwer to all my problems

wheeee!

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    while on this subject...can anyone explain to me what the black weight knob does on the 1200? the one with numbers? and also, how does the anti-skating knob work exactly? and what do the numbers translate to?