Crash is the "best" film.

Comments

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    I think they gave it to Ang, because it was obvious it was a feat for that non-English speaker to put together a decent movie like that. That's the only reason I could give myself.

Wow.

That's the most ignorant thing I have heard in a while.
    Whatevs... I guess if you guys had a basic, not advanced command of a foreign language, you'd do okay making sure your actors were keeping true to your vision of the script. That's all I was saying. I haven't seen Brokeback Mountain. I was just most intrigued by his acceptance speech and his English was really bad. How could he make sure that folks were in line with what he look was the appropriate emotion? I would there would moments where he's get lost in the translation.

I am sure you are not prejudice and that you just do not understand how films are put together.
    You're right. I have no clue Fatback. I have no idea what Ang Lee's job was for this film.

Maybe he'll come on here and get us some insight, because I doubt you do either.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    crash winning = not surprising
    equally annoying was the president of the academy going on about how ???ahead??? of things they are (hattie mcdaniels getting an award when blacks still had to sit at the back of the theatre) ??? so what? was it a token gesture? not because she was actually the best? all the self-congratulatory shit about hollywood and what a 'maverick' year it is was stupid.

and whoever was responsible for that Lily Tomlin/Meryl Streep jerk-off should be fired.

Michelle Williams??? dress was beautiful. Reese Witherspoon???s was not.

highlights for me ??? three 6 of course, the homoeroticism in westerns reel and salma hayek non-stop fidgeting with her hair and dress like she wasn???t appearing in front of a gazillion viewers.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    I think they gave it to Ang, because it was obvious it was a feat for that non-English speaker to put together a decent movie like that. That's the only reason I could give myself.

Wow.

Whatevs... I guess if you guys had a basic, not advanced command of a foreign language, you'd do okay making sure your actors were keeping true to your vision of the script. That's all I was saying. I haven't seen Brokeback Mountain. I was just most intrigued by his acceptance speech and his English was really bad. How could he make sure that folks were in line with what he look was the appropriate emotion? I would there would moments where he's get lost in the translation.

I am sure you are not prejudice and that you just do not understand how films are put together.
    You're right. I have no clue Fatback. I have no idea what Ang Lee's job was for this film.

Maybe he'll come on here and get us some insight, because I doubt you do either.

Well you didn't happen to notice the two honkey's he hired to adapt the short story to a screenplay?

Thank God for them otherwise the film dialog would have been like...

Hike! Cowboys faggit, Ree Morgan deep groove. Marboro.[/b]

• CahootsCahoots 378 Posts
    -

• gambitgambit 906 Posts

Wow.

You're playing yourself.

Ang Lee is a veteran director, with more english films under his belt than mandarin ones. The acadamy wasn't like "damn, this dude can make a decent english film, and english isn't even his first language, lets give him the oscar!" Do you know how many directors there are in hollywood that don't speak english as a first language?
    You're refusing to understand what I'm getting at, so I don't know what to say. I am not worried about "playing myself." I'm being real. I am still amazed that Ang Lee gets decent performances out of English-speaking actors. I know dude's track record. I've seen quite a few of his films. I'm not going to sit here and debate about my understanding of his work. This discussion is pointless, because you guys took one line and threw it out of context. Talk about playing yourself, c'mon.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I am still amazed that Ang Lee gets decent performances out of English-speaking actors.

Its called a staff.

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    I am still amazed that Ang Lee gets decent performances out of English-speaking actors.

Its called a staff.
    Okay, thanks. He's still the director. He gets credit for the film, not the "staff." I'm raising the question on Lee's technique to get the appropriate performances out of his actors.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Ang Lee is a great director IMO and he deserved the oscar. Most of his films have been top notch (Minus The Hulk). Dude did Sense and Sensibility (An old english period piece) probably better than anyone else could have ever directed it. Dude knows how to shoot a movie. I saw B.M. just because I didn't wanna be one of those people that talk about a movie without even seeing it. It was a alright... But shot really well. The performances were above average, but I didn't think it brought the same things to audiences that Crash did. And with what movies were in the running, I thought it was the best pick (though, not even close to the best movie of the year). Hate on it all you want. I agree with most of the oscar picks. Cept for the Actress section. Felicity Huffman & Amy Adams should have won. Though I think Rachel Weisz was a close one.

What about Stewart? Hit or miss?

You're refusing to understand what I'm getting at, so I don't know what to say. I am not worried about "playing myself." I'm being real. I am still amazed that Ang Lee gets decent performances out of English-speaking actors. I know dude's track record. I've seen quite a few of his films. I'm not going to sit here and debate about my understanding of his work. This discussion is pointless, because you guys took one line and threw it out of context. Talk about playing yourself, c'mon.

can you better explain what you are saying then? is it because you think he would be difficult to understand? that he could not properly convey what he wants from his actors? the fact that he interprets the scripts/screenplays so well? what exactly is the great feat? in interviews, etc., i find it easy to understand what he is saying and i think his passion for what he is doing comes across. i am asking seriously.

equally annoying was the president of the academy going on about how ???ahead??? of things they are (hattie mcdaniels getting an award when blacks still had to sit at the back of the theatre) ??? so what? was it a token gesture? not because she was actually the best? all the self-congratulatory shit about hollywood and what a 'maverick' year it is was stupid.

and whoever was responsible for that Lily Tomlin/Meryl Streep jerk-off should be fired.

highlights for me ??? three 6 of course, the homoeroticism in westerns reel and salma hayek non-stop fidgeting with her hair and dress like she wasn???t appearing in front of a gazillion viewers.

Agreed almost 100&

But Salma did look good...

Agreed almost 100&

But Salma did look good...

yes she did. i did not like the dress at first, but saw its um...attributes when she was on stage.

i know i'll get shit for this, but i thought jessica alba looked - kinda washed out in all that gold/bronze...the classic look doesn't really do her justice. see her tattoo? had to laugh when BF asked 'which prison did she get that at?' it's a pretty sad little scribble on the back of her neck.

• Remember, Ang Lee went to NYU film school. And I find it harder to understand what Milos Foreman and Werner Herzog say more then Ang (hopefully Werner won't hunt me down and skin me for that).

I do think "Good Night, and Good Luck" should have won. It's such a fitting movie of the times regarding television and the responcibility of the media. Oh well.

• gambitgambit 906 Posts

can you better explain what you are saying then? is it because you think he would be difficult to understand? that he could not properly convey what he wants from his actors? the fact that he interprets the scripts/screenplays so well? what exactly is the great feat? in interviews, etc., i find it easy to understand what he is saying and i think his passion for what he is doing comes across. i am asking seriously.
    I appreciate that missbassie. I have also seen interviews with Lee and I don't think they're hard to understand, but I know he has to have an interpreter on set with him to convey things to the cast and crew and vice versa. I think his movies are shot well, but of course, he has a good DoP that he uses in every movie. That's helps, of course.
    I have been on movie sets and seen directors get picky how certain lines are delivered and trying to get their actors to understand exactly what they want to have done. I'm wondering if Lee has to do much of that. That's all I'm saying. It has nothing to do with his nationality. Dude just doesn't seem too smooth with his English speaking. He probably does have a great command of the English language and the accent is just the issue, but I'm intrigued by that since I know dude uses interpreters.

i know i'll get shit for this, but i though jessica alba looked - kinda washed out in all that gold/bronze...

Cosign...........a little on the extra scrawny side too. Her stylist was asleep at the wheel.

JLo looked good in that green against her complexion.....

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    Remember, Ang Lee went to NYU film school. And I find it harder to understand what Milos Foreman and Werner Herzog say more then Ang (hopefully Werner won't hunt me down and skin me for that).

I do think "Good Night, and Good Luck" should have won. It's such a fitting movie of the times regarding television and the responcibility of the media. Oh well.
    Right on, you're right about that. I just think that Ang begs us to challenge our idea of subjectivity, when someone who can paint a portrait of a certain emotion in a language that comes to his native tongue. I think it's admirable. I mean, you have to put a lot of trust in the people you cast and choose to work with. I mean, so many American moviemakers get it so very wrong... maybe it's the outside looking in approach that makes it so much more real, I guess.

i know i'll get shit for this, but i though jessica alba looked - kinda washed out in all that gold/bronze...

Cosign...........a little on the extra scrawny side too. Her stylist was asleep at the wheel.

yea, that too. her head with all that poofy hair looked huge!

oh yea! naomi watts' dress! a tissue had exploded in the front of that thing and no one told her!

i thought hilary swank looked very good as did bahar soomekh from crash - her yellow dress was nice.

• gambitgambit 906 Posts

JLo was pretty orange herself. It looked like it was hurting her face.

JLo was pretty orange herself. It looked like it was hurting her face.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    The realest was when the French Penguin guys won for best documentary and one of the dudes English was so bad that they panned to a bewildered Morgan Freeman on the side of the stage.

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    The realest was when the French Penguin guys won for best documentary and one of the dudes English was so bad that they panned to a bewildered Morgan Freeman on the side of the stage.
    I think they were expecting them to thank Morgan Freeman for narrating. They always do that. They kept switching over to Ryan Philipe(sp?) when Reese Witherladle was giving her thank you speech. It was like they were hoping she wouldn't thank him to present drama.

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts

i was confused about why they did that -- it was at the exact moment when he mentioned the treaty protecting antarctica. maybe they thought he was going to go off on a political monologue or something.

They panned to him I think cause he narrated the movie. But he did look bewildered,,,

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts

i know i'll get shit for this, but i thought jessica alba looked - kinda washed out in all that gold/bronze...the classic look doesn't really do her justice. see her tattoo? had to laugh when BF asked 'which prison did she get that at?' it's a pretty sad little scribble on the back of her neck.

I agree she didn't look her best, maybe with her hair down she would've looked better, still she looked like she weighted 80 pounds or something.

Charlize theron's dress was also terrible, I thought that bow was going to knock her head right off!

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    What did you all think of Jon Stewart's hosting?

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

I agree she didn't look her best, maybe with her hair down she would've looked better, still she looked like she weighted 80 pounds or something.

Charlize theron's dress was also terrible, I thought that bow was going to knock her head right off!

he's no chris rock, that's fer sure. it was ok - kinda tame/blah. i thought he was going to beat the three6 mafia win to death, but i'm glad he didn't keep going back to it.

• I do think "Good Night, and Good Luck" should have won. It's such a fitting movie of the times regarding television and the responcibility of the media. Oh well.

Cosign.

• gambitgambit 906 Posts

he's no chris rock, that's fer sure. it was ok - kinda tame/blah. i thought he was going to beat the three6 mafia win to death, but i'm glad he didn't keep going back to it.
    I thought the Three 6 win made Jon Stewart a bit funnier. I thought he was dull outside of the Daily Show-style spoofs.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

I like the Colbert narrated fake commercials.

On another note, Robert Altman has never got and Oscar? So they give him an honorary one?

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    The oscars is a tough gig. You really begin to appreciate how good Billy Crystal is at doing it when you see geniuses like ROck and Stewart struggle to make it their own.

Highlights Fashion Wise:

Biggest bummer was no male faux pas. Larry McMurtry in Jeans? Somebody needs to wash heath Ledgers face.

Naomi Watts dress looked real bumpy, like her panties were bunched in places.
    Rachel Weisz looked great.

Alba is a ridiculous looking human being. I givbe her dress a B. Too bad she won't make it in Hollywood unless she starts picking better projects.

Acceptance speeches:

The guy from South Africa was cool. Hoffman gave a touching tribute. I liked that Clooney wasn't backing down. And Lee spoke very eloquently about love. Dude is dude.

I watched MASH afterwards. So good. Hollywood pull your head out of your ass. Crash sucked balls. Trite, simplistic and boring.