define the music you like

GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
edited May 2005 in Music Talk
Female Funk & Soul[/b] - 1968-1975 most;ly unpolished sounding hard soul music where the girl sounds liie she just got dumped and is oncsidering going lesbian Modern Soul[/b] - 1977 - 1983 R&B with a smoother feel than most 70's soul music. usually lots of synth and horns. music done in a typically upbeat style and the drums are never 4 on the floorGospel Soul[/b] - songs in which god is being praised by someone with a oice that is 100% genuine. has a secular vibe too. no handclapping footstomping just deep from the soul music.add on and express what you like

Comments

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    i dont know man that's some nit pickery stuff up there.. you're defintion of modern soul is kinda weird man.. basically it sounds to me like you like the b-sides / album cuts / quiet storm type crap that didnt get played by gay dj's in the clubs back in the day no??

if somebody wants to know what i play i just say "dance music" .. shits all house music to me... disco, funk, soul, electro, funky rock. if it holds the floor with a nice solid funky beat than that shits house music in my books.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    i dont know man that's some nit pickery stuff up there.. you're defintion of modern soul is kinda weird man.. basically it sounds to me like you like the b-sides / album cuts / quiet storm type crap that didnt get played by gay dj's in the clubs back in the day no??

if somebody wants to know what i play i just say "dance music" .. shits all house music to me... disco, funk, soul, electro, funky rock. if it holds the floor with a nice solid funky beat than that shits house music in my books.

this post was born out of some trades I did in which I don't think the person understood certain terms, and I can't blame them, I mean its all kinda relative. I just though It'd be interesting to see specifically what everyone is into

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts

this post was born out of some trades I did in which I don't think the person understood certain terms, and I can't blame them, I mean its all kinda relative. I just though It'd be interesting to see specifically what everyone is into

well that's why genre terms suck if you ask me... music is either good or bad.. problems arise when people start putting definitions on the narrow parameters they believe constitutes good and bad...

• funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts
    All good music.

Define the music I actively collect - different story.

• bonzaisk8bonzaisk8 946 Posts
    that deepnastyorganicgutbucketmakeyouwanttocringetypeshyte.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Re: define the music you like

good.

• MangomanMangoman 549 Posts
    Human Beatboxing

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    [rant]

Personally I think most people who say they listen only to "good" music are full of crap. So you listen to ONLY the best music? And does that go for the best example of every type of music in the world? Come on - it's a cop out. Everyone has their taste, it's just that many are too afraid/ignorant/lazy to define it. Which is why this thread probably won't get a lot of love - few people want to admit that they actually have completely subjective boundaries on the kinds of music they like, and that those boundaries often have absolutely nothing to do with quality.

Anyway, genre categories are not only helpful, but necessary, when discussing music. Can you really talk about Eric B. & Rakim in any kind of meaningful manner without mentioning hiphop? Or avoid mentioning reggae while talking about Lee Scratch Perry? Or let's talk about Metallica and completely avoid discussing heavy metal. Certainly you *could* do that, but you'd either be missing the point entirely, or you'd have to be communicating with others who already understand the genre contexts of those artists, which proves the point that genre categories serve as a good shorthand for musical discussion.

So please, everyone stop fooling yourselves by saying stuff like "I like good music" and "I hate categories." You listen to bad music, and it can be easily categorized. And that's OK.

[/rant]

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    [rant]

Personally I think most people who say they listen only to "good" music are full of crap. So you listen to ONLY the best music? And does that go for the best example of every type of music in the world? Come on - it's a cop out. Everyone has their taste, it's just that many are too afraid/ignorant/lazy to define it. Which is why this thread probably won't get a lot of love - few people want to admit that they actually have completely subjective boundaries on the kinds of music they like, and that those boundaries often have absolutely nothing to do with quality.

Anyway, genre categories are not only helpful, but necessary, when discussing music. Can you really talk about Eric B. & Rakim in any kind of meaningful manner without mentioning hiphop? Or avoid mentioning reggae while talking about Lee Scratch Perry? Or let's talk about Metallica and completely avoid discussing heavy metal. Certainly you *could* do that, but you'd either be missing the point entirely, or you'd have to be communicating with others who already understand the genre contexts of those artists, which proves the point that genre categories serve as a good shorthand for musical discussion.

So please, everyone stop fooling yourselves by saying stuff like "I like good music" and "I hate categories." You listen to bad music, and it can be easily categorized. And that's OK.

[/rant]

Easy there trailmix, I said "good" not "great"!

Really though, I think category's of things you like etc. are lame. I hate having to explain to people what I play or listen to.

"well, it's sort of a funkyhiphopyadon'tstoptothebeatyallbreakbeatraer

withsomeclassicrockfunksoulreggaeanddiscothrowninfor goodmeasureraer."

But I can see where you're coming from. Maybe I'm burnt out on all the sub-categories and off shoot disco/rap/metal, illbeint/folk/polka labels that seem to be thrown around so casually these days.

yahmarillio?

[rant]

[/rant]

Funk
    Soul
    Jazz
    Blues - all kinds but especially pre-war
    Ethnic folk
    Folk
    Rock
    Pop
    Country - almost exclusively old stuff/bluegrass
    Classical
    Modern electronic/ambient
    Rock
    Pop
    i.e. just about everything I like...

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

Funk
    Soul
    Jazz
    Ethnic folk
    Folk
    Rock
    Pop
    Classical
    Rock
    Pop

Well, that's a start. Now define each of those.

(Why don't we have an eye-rolling emoticon?)

Funk
    Soul
    Jazz
    Ethnic folk
    Folk
    Rock
    Pop
    Classical
    Rock
    Pop

Well, that's a start. Now define each of those.

(Why don't we have an eye-rolling emoticon?)

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    -gritty, fuzzy sounds and crisp, contemporary sounds in a ratio of 8:2

-sound-oriented albums as opposed to lyric-oriented in a ratio of 7:3 (lyric-oriented used to be higher)

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    Im into EPIC, symphonic shit that is dark, anything from mozarts requiem to axelrod to Janko nilovic.

Anything with interesting chord changes.

really good melodic bass playing and keys. Instrumental shit.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Guzz,

I see you're up in here asking the tough questions. I'll try to add on if I can. Here goes:

1. "Dark, Straight-Ahead Jazz":

-I like traditional jazz music with a dark, somber feel to it. The dates I prefer are from the mid-50's to late 60's in this genre. Music I place in this category is stuff like "Ptah the El Daoud" by Alice Coltrane or "Quiet Nights" by Miles Davis. This is the type of stuff I cool out to on a Friday evening after a long week of work. I like this music because it fits in with my serious approach to life, and the instrumentation and arrangements are wonderful.

2. "Feel-Good" Music (Soul/Funk/Disco):

-This kind of music I use for a pick-me-up. To me, this genre involves slick, yet funky and rhythmic productions with a mixture of modern, electronic instrumentation. I've mentioned a lot of these LPs on the 'Strut before, but this category includes mid-70's/early 80's Quincy Jones produced stuff ("Look Out for #1", "Off the Wall", "Light Up the Night"), "Adventures in Paradise" by Minnie Riperton, "Solid" by Michael Henderson, "Livin' it Up" 12" by Bell & James, "Reachin' Out (for Your Love)" by Lee Moore, and so on.

3. "Grown Folks Music (combination of cool out folk, rock, and softer jazz)":

-As always, I prop folks like Joni Mitchell, Steely Dan, Michael Franks, Rickie Lee Jones, Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young, etc. This is my mellow genre that contains LPs I enjoy such as "Hissing of Summer Lawns", "So Far", "Mud Boy Slim", "Art of Tea", "Tapestry", "No Secrets", etc. This is pretty much the AM Gold soundtrack I grew up on, so I've always had a love for this type of music even though I'm a brutha (which got me clowned seriously, around the way). I love the subtle beauty of this music, the melodies and easiness of the sound. Music from this genre really takes me away.

No doubt I have other favorites, but these are the types of music that I've listened to the longest in my life.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• coselmedcoselmed 1,114 Posts
    From allmusic.com:

AcerbicAggressiveAmbitiousAmiable/Good-NaturedAngryAngstRiddenAtmospheric
    AustereAutumnalBitterBittersweetBleakBoisterousBrashBrassyBravadoBright
    BrittleBroodingCalm/PeacefulCampyCarefreeCatharticCerebralCheerfulCircular
    ColdComplexConfidentConfrontationalCrunchyCynical/SarcasticDelicateDetached
    DifficultDistraughtDramaticDreamyDruggyEarnestEarthyEccentricEerieEffervescent
    ElaborateElegantEnergeticEnigmaticEpicEtherealExcitingExuberantFierceFiery
    FracturedFreakishFreewheelingFunGentleGiddyGleefulGloomyGreasyGrittyGutsyHappy
    HarshHedonisticHostileHumorousHungryHypnoticIndulgentInnocentInsularIntense
    IntimateIronicIrreverentJoyousKnottyLaidBack/MellowLazyLightLiterateLivelyLush
    MalevolentManicMeanderingMelancholyMenacingMessyNaiveNihilisticNocturnal
    NostalgicOminousOrganicOutragedOutrageousParanoidParty/CelebratoryPassionate
    PastoralPlaintivePlayfulPoignantPreciousProvocativeQuirkyRambunctiousRamshackle
    RaucousRebelliousRecklessRefined/ManneredReflectiveRelaxedReservedRestrained
    ReverentRollickingRomanticRousingRowdyRusticSadSardonicSearchingSelfConscious
    SensualSentimentalSexualSexySillySleazySlickSmoothSnideSoftSomberSoothing
    SophisticatedSpaceySparklingSparseSpicySpiritualSpookySprawlingSpringlike
    StatelyStreetSmartStylishSuffocatingSugarySummerySwaggeringSweetTense/Anxious
    TheatricalThuggishTrashyTrippyUncompromisingUnsettlingUrgentVisceralVolatile
    WarmWearyWhimsicalWintryWistfulWittyWryYearning

• Options

Modern Soul[/b] - 1977 - 1983 R&B with a smoother feel than most 70's soul music. usually lots of synth and horns. music done in a typically upbeat style and the drums are never 4 on the floor

No No No, Guzzo.

Modern Soul, Too

K.

damn that's nice.

might as well, get this question out of the way while we're at it:

What difference is there typically between Soul and RandB?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Big Stacks: thanks for participating in this with actual defined ideas.

I think its weird that fokls get kinda guarded about theri tastes. Of course the music you listen to is "good" no one wants to listen to music they don't like, but using one word to describe the music you like is hardly a definition.

Maybe people on here really don't know what they like. Admittedly its not something that you should have to break down but I still think it would be interesting to see what it is that you truly love musically

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    i never know what i like until i like it.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Big Stacks: thanks for participating in this with actual defined ideas.

I think its weird that fokls get kinda guarded about theri tastes. Of course the music you listen to is "good" no one wants to listen to music they don't like, but using one word to describe the music you like is hardly a definition.

Maybe people on here really don't know what they like. Admittedly its not something that you should have to break down but I still think it would be interesting to see what it is that you truly love musically

Hey Guzzo,

As I see it, I don't think a lot of people around here are really music fans (yeah, I said it). I've posted before about how I think that records are considered a commodity on the 'Strut, and there is less appreciation for the music. Like Little Brother said, "...niggas ain't listenin'". I bet this thread won't get over 1,000 views like the weekend finds. Cats rather participate in pissin' contests on some kid shit!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• if somebody wants to know what i play i just say "dance music" .. shits all house music to me... disco, funk, soul, electro, funky rock. if it holds the floor with a nice solid funky beat than that shits house music in my books.

Ditto!!!

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    1. Rap Music - Anything with a pretty definite beat to it that includes someone talking/singing on top of it. Preferably of the gangster variety.

2. Old music with beats - any and all genres of old music thats got beats on it that I could easily turn around and make into rap music.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

As I see it, I don't think a lot of people around here are really music fans (yeah, I said it). I've posted before about how I think that records are considered a commodity on the 'Strut, and there is less appreciation for the music.

The unspeakable has been spoken

pandoras box is now open. Expect cats trying to prove that they really do "like their music" to say their piece

As I see it, I don't think a lot of people around here are really music fans (yeah, I said it). I've posted before about how I think that records are considered a commodity on the 'Strut, and there is less appreciation for the music.

The unspeakable has been spoken

pandoras box is now open. Expect cats trying to prove that they really do "like their music" to say their piece

I thought the convention was to only pick up records with breaks on 'em. The "dirty little secret" is that makes for a butt-ass record collection. Hard to compile an enjoyable music library from FAQs.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

records are considered a commodity on the 'Strut

i see what you're saying. and i've thought about this myself.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Nothing person towards either of you (Guzzo or Stacks), you know that, but I think most people are probably looking at this thread and wondering why it's necessary to get so technical about something they enjoy. Honestly, I think Stacks is describing the-breaks.com more than Soulstrut. I rarely hear talk of break beats here, but I see passionate discussion of music all the time (perhaps it's mostly about music you don't like). Making sure you define exactly what you listen to just seems a little OCD to me.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    I think most people are probably looking at this thread and wondering why it's necessary to get so technical about something they enjoy.

Nothing person towards either of you (Guzzo or Stacks), you know that, but I think most people are probably looking at this thread and wondering why it's necessary to get so technical about something they enjoy. Honestly, I think Stacks is describing the-breaks.com more than Soulstrut. I rarely hear talk of break beats here, but I see passionate discussion of music all the time (perhaps it's mostly about music you don't like). Making sure you define exactly what you listen to just seems a little OCD to me.

Great points, Two-ply!!! Perhaps, I was a bit heavy-handed in my "breaks" comments. But still, I think there is a tendency here to "commoditize" records and speak less about the music on the LPs. There is far more listing of finds than discussion of what they sound like. I think it's that "pissin' contest" mentality of who has found what "white whale" today. It doesn't seem like there are a lot of music fans on here. If so, wouldn't there be more discussion about music? Also, I would expect music fans to be able to describe the type(s) of music they prefer. Records are treated like trophies up in this piece.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak