define the music you like

13»

Comments

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts

Here is a reason I don't care for catagories. {disclaimer I use both of these to discuss music)....

Dan

yeah I agree that terms others have coined suck, which is why I am asking peple to define their own music likes.

I'm still pretty shocked that many haven't bothered to do so.

Well, I'll try to be serious on this one.

Jazz[/b]: I would say anything between 1940-1977 I am game for, anything from Duke Ellington to Ornette Coleman.

Blues[/b]: I like the rural acoustic blues, I liked it when it became electric, and I also like when they embraced rock, as rock & roll artists were looking back at blues artists. I also like people such as the Paul Butterfield Blues Band, Allman Brothers Bamd, Blues Society, Johnny Winter, etc. Very few people in the late 70's were sounding as they did in the early 70's, partially due to technology getting better.

Eh, I'm not going to finish.

• i like wierd music. i like music with socio-political themes. i like music that makes me want to dance. i would really struggle to define more precisely what i like because there are no unifying threads. for every rule an exception.

records are a commodity.

lists are not always pissing contests.

much music appreciation happens on soulstrut.

---

Both y'all have valid points and cases. However I'm with Stacks on this. a great deal of folks who are "deep" in here have obscure one or two-trackers. meanwhile the merits of amazing artsits like Aretha Franklin, & Stevie wnder are ahrldy ever spoken about.

hey bizarroguzzo, can the real guzzo come out now?

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Modern Soul[/b] - 1977 - 1983 R&B with a smoother feel than most 70's soul music. usually lots of synth and horns. music done in a typically upbeat style and the drums are never 4 on the floor

guzzo

see i have problem with these kind of sub definitions of genres because there specificty is just straight up silly.

Oh god, look people I'm asking you[/b] to define what you[/b] like. This is not abiut setting a new definition up for soulstrut or the world to follow its about showing what type of music you[/b] like and giving it it a title. Does modern soul mean the same to everyone? no, but now you know what it means to me.

Forgive me for choosing to move on from just using a vague ass term like "good" to something more specific to define what I like. Is this really even an issue??? are cats really getting angry over describing the music they like?

Seriously y'all get over it and if you can't handle a simple discussion in which you[/b] state your own preference than y'all don't need to be participating in this thread.

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    none of that pussy shit. give me the fuckin gritty rawness

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    none of that pussy shit. give me the fuckin gritty rawness

thats waaaaay more concise than "I like good music"

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Is it me, or is this thread turning into an episode of The Young Ones?

Rick: Ok, everyone, let's all define the type of music we like! I'll go first...

Vyvyan: I think you'd better just shut up before I shove my boot down your throat!

Rick: Honestly, Vyv, you're just jealous because I know more about modern soul than you.

Vyvyan: (Cracks Rik over the head with frying pan)

Neil: Oh, wow! Like, no more modern soul for Rick. HEAVY!

Mike: Doesn't matter, Neil, what Rick doesn't realize is that it's not about the music, records are a commodity.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    popsike certified gems- especially psych records i've never seen before, heard before, but found out were rare from a website.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts

Oh wow, I think that smell is your own bottom burp, (P)Rick.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    i never know what i like until i like it.

so i hung out with the brilliant SPACEGHOST yesterday before we hit up that SHARON JONES & THE DAP-KINGS concert. oh yeah, which btw, FUCKING ROCKED[/b]. id go into detail but thatd take away from the experience. if she is within 300 miles of where you live, go see her. you will not be dissapointed.

anyways, the dude and i were talking about some shit. homey brokedown the politically progressive yet naive architecture of le corbusier. and then, as us music nerds do, we talked about tunes. and we were both on the same page about this.

see, most folks want to jump the gun and mark out their taste in music. which, by my understanding, is a fools game. i dont care if youre jimmy mcbigdude or a fucking 100 year old music exec that has "seen it all". because you have not seen it all. you have not heard it all. and you never will. so to clearly define what it is that you like is about the most closed minded approach to enjoying music you can take.

definition of music is useful because it compartmentalizes sounds into manageable bite size chunks of bullshit so that the more feeble minded can digest. it is also helpful in ones ebay auctions. and plaese to not act like youre above that. hell, im not above it. i'll fucking say something is "moder soul" if i thought it would mean soothfong shitafong from the okinawan islands will bid 30000 yen on that shit. but in the grander scope of things there is just too much music to know exactly what you like.

now, i'll be honest. ive probably read about 4 books cover to cover. 1 of them being l. jones "blues people". and i seem to remember the dude saying something along the lines that jazz and blues and soul were all ruined by definition. that once defined, the style acually lost its freedom and became a mockery of itself having to live inside its defined terms. now i may be interjecting my own thoughts into his writing, but that's what i took from it. so by defining what you like, and more importantly what you dislike, is already limiting the amount of music you will hear. who knows what gems slip through the cracks with this type of thinking.

so i guess what im trying to say in my most nerdy of manner is that a lot of folks tend to think that the more music they listen to, the more refined their tastes become. but the dude SPACEGHOST said it best. and i loosely quote " the more music i hear, the more expansive my tastes become." and for me that means, the more music i hear, the more i realize i dont know shit.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I think y'all are getting way too philisophical with this question. Lets just keep it simple.

1. People here like music
    2. There are certain types of music you like better than others
    3. you should be able to describe what these music types are

I'm trying to get you guys to go ahead and define the music you[/b] like, not adhere to someone elses defintions. Just want to know what you like, you can make up your own term as long as yo cn explain what the term means.

This really is not that deep a question, although I'm pretty impressed with some of the responses this thread has got its not the way I expected this thread to be.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Both y'all have valid points and cases. However I'm with Stacks on this. a great deal of folks who are "deep" in here have obscure one or two-trackers. meanwhile the merits of amazing artsits like Aretha Franklin, & Stevie wnder are ahrldy ever spoken about.

How do people who have a large number of common no-trackers but also lack a copy of Maggot Brain fit into this paradigm?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    is that the self-important breifcase grip of young daniel I feel on my nuts again?

PS you obviously haven't been reading up on your read-ups hommie. check the 1-2000 discuss post

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    is that the self-important breifcase grip of young daniel I feel on my nuts again?

PS you obviously haven't been reading up on your read-ups hommie. check the 1-2000 discuss post

Whatever would make you think I was referring to your own collection when I asked that question?

• DenmarkVZDenmarkVZ 397 Posts

Whatever would make you think I was referring to your own collection when I asked that question?

best exchange on here this week. thank you.

*shuts office door, falls over laughing*

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

during one of the many 1-whatever number" posts R.Donkeys pointed out I was lacking Maggot brain. I thought you were referencing that. I apologize if I was wrong

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    not to add to your hysteria, but im almost certain that every single post on here [and about 65-80% on stonesthrow] are connected, directed, and concerning you.

perhaps its time for that much needed braek?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    check your voicemail