Opinions on these Beach Boys LPs

2»

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    [faux_rillz]they're all vanilla pablum[/faux_rillz]

I don't know how anybody could listen to this stuff.

No sac to it whatsoever.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

No sac to it whatsoever.

Some of us are secure enough with our own sac, but I see what you are saying.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    definitive take on smile??? never that !!!

allow me to nerd out here for a bit:

i made this about 4 years ago...

2 completely differant version of the complete smile record (with no shared tracks)

3rd disc of studio outtakes "hey man can you feel that acid yet??"

all housed in nice heavy card sleeves and a matching slipcase

even a booklet of session shots and log sheets.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

No sac crack to it whatsoever.

No sac to it whatsoever.

Some of us are secure enough with our own sac, but I see what you are saying.

With every moment you spend listening to this stuff, you move closer to being a musical eunuch. Exercise extreme caution.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    i don't know how you can write off a man's teenage symphonies to god as sacless.. fuck wilson and crew were busting whippets 24 /7 , taking every drug on the entire planet, chillin with charlie manson and van dyke parks... on acid...

the back cover of sunflower with mike love in full on jesus robe surrounded by little children is the very definition of SAC

like yohowah for the AM radio set.

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    I need to step my Beach Boys game up.

They've always had a bit of a stigma attached to them because to me, they are tied into "oldies" radio - my local home town radio, which my mom listened to every morning. It just sorta ruined a lot of their 'hits' for me. But I'm pretty much ignorant to the bulk of their catalogue, so I should probably make an effort to listen to it.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    definitive take on smile??? never that !!!

Well, I appreciate EVERY version of SMILE... definitive takes on many of the songs can be found on the GOOD VIBRATIONS box... I was just saying one or two of those songs may be best represented on SMILEY SMILE in my opinion...

Your set looks nice... really wish I'd picked up that 4xlp boot back when it was around...

Why they've nevered released a legit box set of the sessions is beyond me...

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    i don't know how you can write off a man's teenage symphonies to god as sacless.. fuck wilson and crew were busting whippets 24 /7 , taking every drug on the entire planet, chillin with charlie manson and van dyke parks... on acid...

the back cover of sunflower with mike love in full on jesus robe surrounded by little children is the very definition of SAC

Dubious[/b]: You must understand that Faux doesn't actually listen to music. He only uses it as a fashion accessory, and in his world, white people aren't fashionable

Hanging out with VD Parks is NOT cool... AT ALL... you're one step away from chillin with Randy Newman... he was a douche...

• If Houston is indeed the 3rd Coast (and it is), do you consider yourself bi-coastal now that you rent dwelling space on both Faux and Cashless' nuts?

Dubious[/b]: You must understand that Faux doesn't actually listen to music. He only uses it as a fashion accesory, and in his world, white people aren't fashionable

Actually, I can completely understand a hatred of the Beach Boys. I mean, I dig 'em. but a lot of their stuff is only a hair away from barber shop harmony quartet material. However, I think Faux could do better than just to deride them as "sacless". I mean, there is a wealth of reasons to hate the BBs, but that just seems, well....lame. And (ironically, in light of Guzzo's comment) I think a lot of praise they get comes from people who don't spend much time actually listening to music but a LOT of time reading Mojo Magazine and making sure they are "up" on their pop music history.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    If Houston is indeed the 3rd Coast (and it is), do you consider yourself bi-coastal now that you rent dwelling space on both Faux and Cashless' nuts?

tri-coastal actually

Why they've nevered released a legit box set of the sessions is beyond me...

Easy, they have the NEW 'definitive' Smile CD Wilson finished to unload now, so kiss that goodbye until they have milked the sales for all it's worth.

Dubious[/b]: You must understand that Faux doesn't actually listen to music. He only uses it as a fashion accesory, and in his world, white people aren't fashionable

Actually, I can completely understand a hatred of the Beach Boys. I mean, I dig 'em. but a lot of their stuff is only a hair away from barber shop harmony quartet material. However, I think Faux could do better than just to deride them as "sacless". I mean, there is a wealth of reasons to hate the BBs, but that just seems, well....lame.

Man, the Beach Boys inhabit a corner of popular music that I have zero investment in, so you know I'm not gonna be able to muster much more than a 'lame' argument.

But the sac thing is true.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

No sac to it whatsoever.

i used to think that way when i was 14 and only listened to the sex pistols and ice cube...

No sac to it whatsoever.

i used to think that way when i was 14 and only listened to the sex pistols and ice cube...

That's great, dude, but I think you're confusing your personal path with some sort of absolute progression.

It's just not for some people. However, I apologize to everybody that I have offended by suggesting that the Beach Boys lack sac. I probably should have resisted the temptation to clown and stayed out of the thread entirely.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

No sac to it whatsoever.

That's great, dude, but I think you're confusing your personal path with some sort of absolute progression.

confusing nothing... just making a statement of fact. those exact words crossed ("no sac to it whatsoever") crossed my mouth many times about the beach boys when i was 12-18 years old. that's all. read into it what you want...

• [faux_rillz]they're all vanilla pablum[/faux_rillz]

No sac to it whatsoever.

confusing nothing... just making a statement of fact. those exact words crossed ("no sac to it whatsoever") crossed my mouth many times about the beach boys when i was 12-18 years old. that's all. read into it what you want...

Oddly enough, I went through my Beach Boys phase in about 5th grade, but we had to part ways when I developed a proper sac of my own.

Birdman's "barbershop quartet" analogy was very, very apt. A lot of those ersatz barbers can really carry a tune. It's just that they never pick a tune I'd ever, ever care to hear.

I was discussing barbershop quartets (the original boy bands?) with Terry Clubbup last week. Ask him for his thoughts on the genre.

No sac to it whatsoever.

Oddly enough, I went through my Beach Boys phase in about 5th grade, but we had to part ways when I developed a proper sac of my own.

Birdman's "barbershop quartet" analogy was very, very apt. A lot of those ersatz barbers can really carry a tune. It's just that they never pick a tune I'd ever, ever care to hear.

I was discussing barbershop quartets (the original boy bands?) with Terry Clubbup last week. Ask him for his thoughts on the genre.

Well, hipsters don't enjoy admitting it, but anybody with ears and a grasp of history can clearly tell that those barbersop harmonies are of elemental influence to the Beach Boys. They didn't pick that up in the Black church! They got that from Ma and Pa Wilson's square American roots! Nothing wrong with that!

Unlike so-called "hipsters"

I KNOW MY ROOTS

Unlike so-called "hipsters"

I KNOW MY ROOTS

SPEAK YOUR TRUTH!