Best 90's Brit album...

the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts
edited November 2015 in Music Talk
to carry on from the twat post...lets have it out...i'd go for one of these 4

Comments

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Out of those 4, I'll take the MBV.

That Stone Roses stuff was good for about a week.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    to carry on from the twat post...

lets have it out...

i'd go for one of these 4

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    without a doubt:

• the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts
    to carry on from the twat post...

lets have it out...

i'd go for one of these 3

morning glory sucked and iam not even gonna comment on the parklife you zionist herpy soar

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    That Stone Roses is technically 1989, but it still gets my vote.

That Stone Roses is technically 1989, but it still gets my vote.

thank you, there would be no oasis or madchester shit if twas not for them

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    10/15 years down the line, Spiritualized and MBV are the only things mentioned so far in this thread that I could imagine listening too.

10/15 years down the line, Spiritualized and MBV are the only things mentioned so far in this thread that I could imagine listening too.

people said that about this modern soul shit at some point in time

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

modern soul shit

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts

without a doubt:

better than blue lines???

i like drum and bass and i hated this album

sorry to second guess your opinion but thats what this place is all about

better than blue lines???

Tough call. "Blue Lines" is the O.G. and cannot be topped. But "Mezzanine" was just so different and spooky. Few artists can completely flip the script, yet still stay true to their original sound, like Massive Attack did with that album. Portishead arguably did the same with their second album, producing something that is not as immediately appealing but more rewarding down the line.

i like drum and bass and i hated this album

sorry to second guess your opinion but thats what this place is all about

Sure, the album sounds very dated and was probably as "poppy" as drum and bass could get. But I loved that album when I first heard it. Dating me as a listener and as a person, I hadn't listened to much jazz when I first heard "New Forms" so, in a sense, it helped introduce me to jazz and drum and bass. 

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Pulp: His n Hers
    Slowdive: Pygmalion
    Flying Saucer Attack 1st one
    Seude 1st one

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Start the hatting

Continue the hatting

Obligatory Pitchfork entry

Obvious choice though Protection actually has my favourite Massive attack song on

I personally think this craps all over Reprezents album as much as I admire Roni Size and detest Goldie, don't know if it's aged particularly well though.

Shit it's depressing that I really can't think of that many british albums I listened to the whole decade.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts

This album came out in the 80's so it's needs to be dq'd

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    And this...

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    you zionist herpy soar

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

If only i could include Isnt Anything...

Crink.. you feeling that Dungen record?? i didnt like it at first but now im all over that shit.

and yeah the first suede was pretty badass

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Apart from some of those already mentioned, Laughing Stock and Pills N' Thrills N' Bellyaches.

Two notes:

One, live circa-second-album Tricky is tough to fuck with. Reptilian Jim Thirlwell/Jones alien sex shit of the highest order.

Two, Madchester usually just gets footnoted (in the US, anyway) but that shit was the RUN-DMC of its day, make no mistake: Both birthed some pretty thoroughbred half-guitar-half-beat centaurs, just as both left some pretty revolting legacies. Raising Hell begat Three Dollar Bill Y'All as "Fool's Gold" begat Paula Cole emoting over looped drums. Grown so ugly.

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts

SG

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Having grown up in London in the 90s, my view may be somewhat different than some peoples on this board. If we approach it from the angle of how well these albums have aged, I would give the following the obligatory nod of the head:

A sound and style unique to this album.

Took them 5 years to make but worth it. The opposite of the first LP which was more a collection of singles, this is an ALBUM with great songs and production.

Straight up their best album - amazing songwriting and only a hint of the inflated egos that would spoil their later albums.

Again, another unique album. Huge.

Loved by Primal Scream fans, under-rated by others. 'Movin' On Up' and 'Loaded' still kill it for me.

shit yeah how could i forget talk talk!!! i guess its because these records are so unique / timeless i ntheir nature that i dont even think of them as existign in any one place or time.

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    my 4

this one's a little obscure...

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Having grown up in London in the 90s, my view may be somewhat different than some peoples on this board. If we approach it from the angle of how well these albums have aged, I would give the following the obligatory nod of the head:

A sound and style unique to this album.

Took them 5 years to make but worth it. The opposite of the first LP which was more a collection of singles, this is an ALBUM with great songs and production.

Straight up their best album - amazing songwriting and only a hint of the inflated egos that would spoil their later albums.

Again, another unique album. Huge.

Loved by Primal Scream fans, under-rated by others. 'Movin' On Up' and 'Loaded' still kill it for me.

I agree with this whole list.

few other bands that had some great albums

Verve (Richard Ashcroft became ass after their final break up

Gene (Smiths wannabes that pulled it off rather nicely)

Super Furry Animals (I think "Mwng" came out in 2000 so it may be DQ'd but they had at least 3 albums from before that that are all great)

PJ Harvey (can someone please remaster her first album)