Bay strutters - What it do on a "My Block" party?

2»

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Im about tired of all this bay shit. I dont really think people are feeling it neither.

You know what doggie between you and edpowers it's just so typical of LA. Whiny ass bitch shit when yall don't get on. LA never did have much love for the Bay and never totally 100% supported the artists there yet of course wanted to claim Pac and when LA rappers were popping the Bay had yall back. Now that LA can't buy a hit record (without sounding like NYC cats) yall are back on the hate-wagon.

Pffffffft.

btw you know I love you guys

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

sway works for mtv now, he's just hosting the shit, not repping.

funny thing about that though...I ended getting filmed yesterday for an mtv segment about stunna shades, which consisted of them giving me some ridiculous shades and having sway come up to me and go "stunners: yay or nay?"

anyways I talked to sway for a second after filming and when I told him I was surprised when he showed up on mtv dude openly admitted to selling out, and that's his words. if it was up to him he'd probably still be hatin on keak on underground radio.

fuck all that shit about meeting sway, did you say yay or nay?

nah he was asking the camera. that's for you crazy viewers out there to decide.

but them stunners were of the huge wrap-around mirrored goggle variety (I told the producer I wasn't wearing any of that sorority girl shit with rhinestones on it). and I was rockin a blue version of the hat that ghost has in the "run" video. sway's comment was "I don't think we even have to ask."

• Im about tired of all this bay shit. I dont really think people are feeling it neither.

You know what doggie between you and edpowers it's just so typical of LA. Whiny ass bitch shit when yall don't get on. LA never did have much love for the Bay and never totally 100% supported the artists there yet of course wanted to claim Pac and when LA rappers were popping the Bay had yall back. Now that LA can't buy a hit record (without sounding like NYC cats) yall are back on the hate-wagon.

Pffffffft.

whoah there wheaties, I'm pretty sure Ed said he wasn't feeling a song or two...I don't think homie was hattt'n on a regional basis. As for B-sides ya cain't be too mad at him he's prolly been working hard hand weaving Jeeziesque beats for the past few months and don't wanna hear 'bout no droop e.

Im about tired of all this bay shit. I dont really think people are feeling it neither.

Pffffffft.

whoah there wheaties, I'm pretty sure Ed said he wasn't feeling a song or two...I don't think homie was hattt'n on a regional basis. As for B-sides ya cain't be too mad at him he's prolly been working hard hand weaving Jeeziesque beats for the past few months and don't wanna hear 'bout no droop e.

EdPowers seems to have anointed himself arbiter of all things Hyphy. I didn't even know LA dudes knew what that shit meant

[/settrip]

Hi Josh!

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Hey Josh...be a dearheart and visit my Slumplordz post.

Hey hyphy-hateurs...be a deerfoot and split.

• Hey hyphy-hateurs...be a deerfoot and split.

LOL!

Yadadadigamajig?

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    hahaha, okay. I like 40.

But this keak guy? HOnestly, i cant get into him.

Hyphy just looks like getting crunk + ghostride the whip. Im just not getting it yet i guess.

Still, good for the bay area.

• Let's have the LA contingency weigh in on this one:

Tell Me When To Go Remix featuring The Game[/b]

Among The Game's most embarrassing moments on this track:

"If the Bay is back, that mean LA is back."

He might as well say, "The Giants are in first place, so that bodes well for the Dodgers."

And when he plays the fan on the call and response at the end...YEE YEE YEESH!

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    hola!

alright, so im not gonna listen to that game remix thing cuz honestly you folks talked this track into the ground. i mean, i like the song, but im getting a lil tired of dudes' so on a song's balls like "oh you dont like this? then you suck, i'll hit you with a bat." i mean, that was funny for a while, but now its just plain dumb. oh. i mean stupid. uh, yeah. besides, i still like get on my hype more and that to me has more of that crossover appeal than this one, but i love me some e40 and he should get some L-l-l-l. anyways, i love the bay. make no mistake about it. it is home to me. but this song doesnt really make me nostalgic unless i watch the video. i mean, there are songs when folks say some shit and im like "oh i miss how folks sound when they say shit or their word choice is better and they dont flip out like angelenos plus folks get along better up there. but this song to me is more about sideshow shit and quite frankly i wasnt a part of the sideshow scene (shocking, right?) and i dare say neither were any of you? i mean, i been to one, once. and its exactly what you think it is. or if you seen the dvd's of that shit. its kinda silly to me. i mean, i like to see folks getting all wild like that but i guess its been a year now since i moved down here and i respect the automobile a lot more now. i mean, most them cars they do that shit in are straight beaters. on some dubs. and fuck dubs. give me some 13's or some whitewalls, buey. fuck spinners, throw on some wires. i mean, i also hate when they hop cars down here and there's a dude with a fucking ruler standing next to the cars to measure the height and then the axle pops off and one of the 25 batteries in the trunk explodes and theres oil and shit all over the place. yeah, that's like the equivalent to sideshow. silly, just plain silly.

anyways, when i see commercials for that new detective show on abc and its like orlando jones and some other dude and i can tell that they actually shot it in sf that makes me nostalgic. or when i hear about new pizza joints along divis im like, . or when my old homies are like "they closed down usa karaoke shiggie!" im like . when i hear dudes from hawaii and texas all like "dem slapper kine" or some shit im like . the bay is mine dammit. all mine!

now if youll excuse me, there's a orange mocha frappalatte with my name on it at coffee bean. plus i got some yoga to do. ciao!

• in all seriousness what would Sway have spun, "Fuckin With Dank"? The hard town shit at that time wasn't exactly suited for the radio but that said dude gave a lot of love to Bay rappers that were on that houser shit.

i'm with JP on this one-- i haven't listened to the Wake-Up Show regularly since my daimey Joe Quixx took off, but i hear snatches now and again and my impression is that they do give love to Bay rappers who fit their rather narrow aesthetic. case in point, i remember hearing F.A.B. freestyling on there a year or two before Big Von or anyone else on KMEL was fucking with him.

co-siyyyne

plus, I heard dude put out a decent bay record or two of his own a whilez back

*rolling eyes*

narrow aesthetic= motion man. In all my years of hearing that show (mind you I stopped following it like 3-4 years ago) I coudn't name one "turf-rap" track that was played on that show.

but really, I could give a shit it wasn't like I was all ass-hurt about them not playing Chunk or something, I think it's just silly on Sway and his FLymanic Force havin-ass.

• Hate it or love it, you have to admit that Nump's "I GOTT GRAPES" shirt/darth vader mask/lime green look was a winner.

All the show was missing was the Game remix of "Tell Me When to Go."

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts
    Oh fuck. This is only on MTV2? I don't get that shit!

from the MTV site:

My Block: The Bay
    After visits to hip-hop's Southern capitals, MTV News' MY BLOCK series heads West, descending on one of the country's most prolific and prodigious rap scenes -- the Bay Area. Encompassing the cities of San Francisco, Oakland and Vallejo, the "Yay Area" has long had its own unique way of doing things: from its animated artists and legendary rap icons to the ubiquitous, ingeniously cultivated slang to its distinctive balance between creative backpack rap and savvy hustler music. "My Block: The Bay" looks at the artists and subcultures that are defining the Yay right now, including the "Hyphy" movement, the Northern California version of Crunk.

date time

Sun 03/05

2:00 PM

Sun 03/05

5:30 PM

Sun 03/05

8:30 PM

Mon 03/06

12:00 PM

Mon 03/06

5:00 PM

Tue 03/07

10:00 AM

Tue 03/07

7:00 PM

Wed 03/08

5:30 PM

They say those times are Eastern Standard so I don't know if that means you need to subtract three hours from the times listed or not.

Who's got MTV2?

i think its on mtv march 16th. check your local listings

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Check Overdrive for extra footage of Lyrics Born, Blackalicious, Goapele and (my personal fave) Boots Riley* from The Coup. Q-Bert was on the show's ending credits, but there's no extra footage of him on the website.

They NEEDED to mention Slump & Grind, though.

Herm

*Bam, you heard this yet?
    "We like to laugh, love, fuck and drink liquor and help the damn revolution come quicker."

• They NEEDED to mention Slump & Grind, though.

No disrespect to Josh and Ross (who are homies) or the S&G tapes (which I liked a lot), but there are a LOT of other Bay tapes out there covering similar ground, from Mark Marcelo's to the Demolition Men's to what seems like a dozen other local dudes. Shit, even WhooKid (!) has a Bay tape out now.

• Agreed. I would say the Demo men have easily had the most impact by getting these mixes out and if anyone should be mentioned on the mixtape tip would be them. Thanks for the sentiment tho', Hermano!

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    the whole episode is available for viewing online

http://bulletin.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...8a-1c718d58b51f

[if i knew how to put html on this site i would insert the video here]

• Agreed. I would say the Demo men have easily had the most impact by getting these mixes out and if anyone should be mentioned on the mixtape tip would be them. Thanks for the sentiment tho', Hermano!

I agree all around.

I really can't see MTV rollin' out the red carpetbag for little old me and really old Josh.

We're only famous on the internets, and even that "fame" is limited to about three URLs in all. (File under "We're No DJ Daze")

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Agreed. I would say the Demo men have easily had the most impact by getting these mixes out and if anyone should be mentioned on the mixtape tip would be them. Thanks for the sentiment tho', Hermano!

I agree all around.

I really can't see MTV rollin' out the red carpetbag for little old me and really old Josh.

We're only famous on the internets, and even that "fame" is limited to about three URLs in all. (File under "We're No DJ Daze")

You're famous at Waterloo Records in Austin.

I'd like to see how many units would move if you sold Slump & Grind at Music Mania.

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts

Link "nah werk fi me",i'm not a member there,please to link the the actual myspace page.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

We're only famous on the internets

not true

(File under "We're No DJ Daze")

Yuh watch the vid i send yuh yet... "hittist"?(new slang for shotta)

• We're only famous on the internets

not true

You're right.

Josh is also famous in Mendocino and Cleveland. I apologize.

And Harvey, you got any connections at Music Mania? If not, just send me some tortillas from Fiesta.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

We're only famous on the internets

not true

You're right.

can i have a T-Shirt ?

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts

Link "nah werk fi me",i'm not a member there,please to link the the actual myspace page.

ahh i figured out the link to the video

here ya are

http://www.donedealent.net/video/my_block-the_bay_area_(westcoastrydaz).wmv

it's like 78mb

Thanks