& Once again, Chicago or NY Pizza which is best...

13»

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Honestly, the best Pizza I've had, has been outside of Manhattan. Fordham Rd in The Bronx,(The Real Little Italy, Batches) and in Brooklyn.

Dont get me wrong though, Man-Hatt, has some bangin' new age type places that sprung up in the 90's.

Please disregard any book/mag food rating, the streets run this shit.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Honestly, the best Pizza I've had, has been outside of Manhattan. Fordham Rd in The Bronx,(The Real Little Italy, Batches)

You ever fuck with the spot on Kingsbridge Road & Aqueduct? One block east of university.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Honestly, the best Pizza I've had, has been outside of Manhattan. Fordham Rd in The Bronx,(The Real Little Italy, Batches)

You ever fuck with the spot on Kingsbridge Road & Aqueduct? One block east of university.

Nah, but that area iz killin it. I know you know.

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    batmon- good call! there are a few spots i hit in the bronx that kill it for me. one of them is on fordham near the 4 train...dope slices!

• I just wrote a really fucking long post about why new york pizza is better than chicago's and then when I tried previewing it, it said my shit was expired and when I hit the back button my post wasnt there...So I'll give you the long and the short of it...The water in NY pizza is better cause its pumped in from the catskills...Most of the pizza places in NY are actually run by italians...You are never more than 5 blocks away from a quality slice in NY...People who think other slices are better happen to be uneducated...Deep dish sucks cause its all bread...All the slices people have mentioned in new york are very tasty...here are some more options

1. Mimi's on 84th and lex - They use excellent dough. You can order from the street through a window. Gritty!

2. New Pizza Town on 78th and bway - Quintessential NY slice.

3. Pizza 33 on 33rd and 3rd - Excellent slices, known for their margherita pizzas.

4. Big Nicks on 76th and bway - This place is a pizza place/24 hour diner that has a full bar. Well known for their whole wheat slices. I've been here and ordered a slice and a scrambled eggs with bacon and a glass of red wine. Then I topped it off with some baklava. At 5 am after going to a New Order concert at the Beacon!

5. Koronet Pizza on 111th and bway - My favorite slice in the world. Their slices are like 3 times the size of regular slices, and the slices are unbelievable. This place is amazing cause its quantity and quality! Eating two slices is like eating a whole pie. I've never seen someone take down 3 slices. Open till 5 am most nights.

Hope you've been enlightened.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    European Pizza vs. US Pizza?!
    Different styles... which one is better?

I love Euro Pizza (crusty bread-like Pizza with Ruccola, thin slices of Italian Prosciutto and a little Parmiggiano on top)

my girlfriend prefers fatty pan-fried US pizza.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    oh boy! how about some japanese pizza?

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Deep dish sucks cause its all bread

Now, see: this is proof that you've never been to Chicago. Giordano's is not all bread. Gino's East is not all bread. Pizzerias Uno and Due are not all bread. And then there's Piece.

Pizza Hut does not factor.

• TSGTSG 274 Posts

Now, see: this is proof that you've never been to Chicago. Giordano's is not all bread. Gino's East is not all bread. Pizzerias Uno and Due are not all bread. And then there's Piece.

i hate it when paulsies open a "chicago style" pizza place in the middle of ohio and try to pass that garbo off as an accurate representation of anything resembling chicago's dominance.

• puchitopuchito 374 Posts

i hate it when paulsies open a "chicago style" pizza place in the middle of ohio and try to pass that garbo off as an accurate representation of anything resembling chicago's dominance.

Chicago Stuffed pizza is a tourist myth. The places that developed a reputation suck ass now. Few places still have good stuffed. Who ever made that travel channel show deserves a slap to the face.

Chicago Thin cannot be fucked wit.

1. Aurelios--Locations in the burbs, but shit is probably the best hand down!, Under rated and not well known in the city cause the schmucks don't have the sense to open up in the city but this shit is the REAL DEAL.

2. Pat's Pizza--belmont & sheffield. Get this shit with red peppers!!

3. Leonas--Lots of locations, and well known, but no hype. They still hold it down in the thin area.

4. Pete's Pizza--Addison & Western. True school chicago thin.

5. Supperosa---NW Side of the City--good.

6. O'Fame---Halsted & Webster----Some people don't like this place because the crust is a little but I like this shit.

7. Lou Malnatis--Another well known place, but they are still making good thin.

PLACES THAT SUCK.
    Giardonos---this shit was good like thirty years ago, but now they are all coporate and the quality is gone.

Pizza Uno-Don't even bother. This shit is for sucker ass, mid western yokel, tourists who would eats dog food if you told them it was chicago stuffed pizza.

Ginos East.----this place again is for fools.

Chicago Pizza & NYC Pizza are different and are both good. (Props to Famous Ray's and all the other rays pizza scatter all over NYC. That is all I have had but shit is good.

If you want to compare Chicago & NYC food. Try hot dogs.
    NYC dogs suck! Nathans, Papaya King. etc. Nasty. Fried hot dogs? Nasty, Nasty Hype.
    Chicago Hot Dogs and junk food rein supreme in this category.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Hey - I like the Chicago thin crust better myself (less dietary issues), but just because there's a thick-crust tradition for out-of-towners doesn't mean it's all shitty now (I mentioned the well-known names because those are the ones he's probably heard of, even if he's never been here). Now, granted, I haven't had more than one thick-crusted slice-per-sitting in several years. And even if Gino's thin has slipped, it's still pretty good.

Solid list, but Piece kills it. Yuppie Bucktown clientele, but really good shit.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    I'll add Pizanos to the list.

Pizanos has some dope thin crust, but it's greasy as hell. Still major delicious even though you can swallow a pizza whole in about 10 minutes flat.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts

4. Big Nicks on 76th and bway - This place is a pizza place/24 hour diner that has a full bar. Well known for their whole wheat slices. I've been here and ordered a slice and a scrambled eggs with bacon and a glass of red wine. Then I topped it off with some baklava. At 5 am after going to a New Order concert at the Beacon!

5. Koronet Pizza on 111th and bway - My favorite slice in the world. Their slices are like 3 times the size of regular slices, and the slices are unbelievable. This place is amazing cause its quantity and quality! Eating two slices is like eating a whole pie. I've never seen someone take down 3 slices. Open till 5 am most nights.

Big Nicks and Koronet are definitely good, but more for novelty than taste, Koronet for their gigantic slices, Nick's for its 23 hour schedule (closed from 6-7AM i believe, spent many a drunken summer night there). Not to dis them but as I've said before, including in this post, the best in the neighborhood is Sal and Carmine's located directly inbetween those two on 101 and Broadway. Don't know if you left it out cause it's been mentioned, but unless you think its too salty (i dont), don't think those two can compare. Another good neighborhood spot is 79th and 80th on Amsterdam, forgot the name right now...

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    oh boy! how about some japanese pizza?

squid ink, umeboshi, and prawns?

believe me, after a 3 months of rice and fish, you'd throw down at pizza-la no questions. which furthers my theory that even bad pizza is still good pizza.

hey, here's a thought. how about you east coast pizza dudes post some actual pictures of the product. then us west coasters can make an unbiased judgement of what is the best. its the only fair way to settle this argument.

• puchitopuchito 374 Posts
    Hey - I like the Chicago thin crust better myself (less dietary issues), but just because there's a thick-crust tradition for out-of-towners doesn't mean it's all shitty now (I mentioned the well-known names because those are the ones he's probably heard of, even if he's never been here). Now, granted, I haven't had more than one thick-crusted slice-per-sitting in several years. And even if Gino's thin has slipped, it's still pretty good.

Solid list, but Piece kills it. Yuppie Bucktown clientele, but really good shit.

Sorry, did not mean to dis. But the whole stuffed pizza thing is kind of a hype in chicago, sort like blues music....where the only "blues clubs" are in the yuppie nucleus of chicago.

• TSGTSG 274 Posts

Chicago Stuffed pizza is a tourist myth. The places that developed a reputation suck ass now. Few places still have good stuffed. Who ever made that travel channel show deserves a slap to the face.

Chicago Thin cannot be fucked wit.

1. Aurelios--Locations in the burbs, but shit is probably the best hand down!, Under rated and not well known in the city cause the schmucks don't have the sense to open up in the city but this shit is the REAL DEAL.

2. Pat's Pizza--belmont & sheffield. Get this shit with red peppers!!

3. Leonas--Lots of locations, and well known, but no hype. They still hold it down in the thin area.

4. Pete's Pizza--Addison & Western. True school chicago thin.

5. Supperosa---NW Side of the City--good.

6. O'Fame---Halsted & Webster----Some people don't like this place because the crust is a little but I like this shit.

7. Lou Malnatis--Another well known place, but they are still making good thin.

PLACES THAT SUCK.
    Giardonos---this shit was good like thirty years ago, but now they are all coporate and the quality is gone.

Pizza Uno-Don't even bother. This shit is for sucker ass, mid western yokel, tourists who would eats dog food if you told them it was chicago stuffed pizza.

Ginos East.----this place again is for fools.

Chicago Pizza & NYC Pizza are different and are both good. (Props to Famous Ray's and all the other rays pizza scatter all over NYC. That is all I have had but shit is good.

If you want to compare Chicago & NYC food. Try hot dogs.
    NYC dogs suck! Nathans, Papaya King. etc. Nasty. Fried hot dogs? Nasty, Nasty Hype.
    Chicago Hot Dogs and junk food rein supreme in this category.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

Sorry, did not mean to dis. But the whole stuffed pizza thing is kind of a hype in chicago, sort like blues music....where the only "blues clubs" are in the yuppie nucleus of chicago.

I know. It's a cultural export of sorts. My California cousins always have to get Giordano's shipped out to their place once a year, like it was an Omaha Steak.

On the hot dog tip: Vienna Beef runs this town with a meaty fist. Ever been to Hot Doug's? SuperDawg? I can't imagine New Yorke coming close. Hell: even the cart vendor in front of the Field Museum gets me off (no homo).

• sonofsamsonofsam 680 Posts
    alright, i will be in NYC march 30th - april 3rd... i don't have any plans except to hang out with some friends, go to the rub on saturday, and eat pizza the whole time... what are the 10 or so ESSENTIAL pizza spots that i have to hit?... i will be in brooklyn, but travelling throughout the city won't be a problem as i have no time constraints

thanks for your help

p.s. if any NYC folks want to join us on this pizza tour, get at me

• sonofsamsonofsam 680 Posts
    actually, i just bothered to re-read the thread, and there are already a ton of suggestions, so never mind the list, but the offer stands if anyone wants to come along