& Once again, Chicago or NY Pizza which is best...

Comments

• you know, pizza is one of those things that's always good. now, i know you can be all on your own balls like "what the fuck? pizza is always good? oh hell no!" and then list off a bunch of names that dont mean shit to me. and youre prolly right. there is great pizza but even that shitty school lunch loaf of a pizza i still ate. and that was a good day for school cafeteria food. and that's exactly my point. i mean, ive had some really shitty tacos. like, this one time in london i was at one of them "markets" you know where a punch of sissies are selling scarves or something yeah, and there was a mexican joint there that served tacos but instead of tacos it was a really shitty enchillada and i saw that so i decided to order a burrito and guess what i got? a enchilada. yeah, well needless to say it was halfway between hamburger helper and chicken tikka masala and i have no idea what the meat was supposed to be.

but i digress, as i was saying even shitty pizza is still good pizza. like pizza hut. man that used to be my shit. keep in mind im californee born and raised. but yeah, pizza hut was good, shakeys there used to be hella shakeys but now i think theyre only in socal but they still have the mojo potato which is really good. and there was straw hat pizza in clovis and they had a projection tv and the tron game so that was awesome. chuck e. cheese and there was a rival of chuck e cheese i think it was called showbiz and they competed for shittiest pizza evar and their playrooms smelled like pee but you still jumped around in that shit.

anyways, what was i talking about? dude, so im saying, any slice in ny is golden if you ask me cuz you see what im working with here?

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts

Real heads know Sal and Carmine's, has been consistently voted best slice in NYC. Don't believe me, go read the reviews on the walls, the spot is 2 italian dudes, and it is always one of them making the pies, no delivery, just classic slices. Can be slightly inconsistent, sometimes just really good, sometimes transcendant, but I've yet to find a spot in 25 years in NY with comprable slices. Of course downtown/brooklyn heads will have to troop to 102nd and Broadway.

I gotta say a New York food dude like myself has never been to Sal and Carmines. I wonder if I can get to it on my lunch break? How's the wait during mid-day? regular slice ??

I've seen those dudes handle lines out the door in under 2 minutes, although they have slowed down a little lately with age. Usually just when the pie is running out, another fresh one miraculously appears from behind the counter or in the oven. First time, I would definitely go with plain slice, most likely to be fresh out the oven and not sitting around for a while, although the sausage slices are damn good too. This thread just changed my lunch plans...

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    whoops

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    difara's (bk) > totonno's (coney island) > grimaldi's (bk) > patsy's (e harlem) > lombardi's

do a search for more info, there have been quite a few threads on this already.

Ive said this time and time again. DIFARAS. ive lived near totonnos, spumoni (NASTY shit) and got down at grimaldis, patsys, etc and DIFARAS hands down is the only reason why I would cry if I ever moved from ave.J. And whats all this talk about Joe's pizza on carmine st being the best in NYC. I dont see why this spot gets good reviews? I ate there for the first time last week and shit tasted average at best. Id personally rather have the high school pizza that came on an english muffin. NY public school lunches always

but not to stray off the subject. Difaras is worth the 45 minute to one hour wait. dont even think of going there on weekends. Imported cheese and tomatoes. I know they opened a spot up on Houston st. anyone try this yet?

i won't take the dissing of Spumoni Gardens... it's not up there with Difaras (which, yes, is the best in the city, as far as i can tell), but it's definitely one of the better slices i've ever had in my life, esp. the sicilian, and it's cheap and you get your slice right when you order it...

joe's pizza on carmine is good, but you have to get the fresh mozzerella slice, not the normal cheese slice... it's also not the same since the OG location was closed (the one that was in spider man 2...) i actually perfer joe's to lombardi's, which i think is a bit of a joke, like a tourist trap... i wanna hit up some of the Staten Island spots, as friends out there have told me there's some proper places...

• Is Difara's really that good? I was in BK Sunday and yesterday as well but did not hit Difara's yet. Paul Nice and I might be rollin' out to BK in about an hour. Maybe we should hit Difara's for some slices. Paychecks, we'll try to come see you at the store today or tomorrow. The hommie Jake Weezey gets into Manhattan tonight so we might all roll through. Gotta meet up with the god Zvi too.

Its worth the drive though there isnt much else around the neighborhood. Unless you want to drive further south and have a nathans frank for dessert. Real orthodox hebrew neighborhood so its a ghost town Friday Night into Saturday. Get at that ASAP. not sure which one i enjoy better. the square or the slice. I say take both. but order extra cause the line is long and your definately gonna want another one. also if dudes are real hungry , order the potato and egg hero. damn good.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts

chan trust me on this one, go dude, when have I ever led you astray. Now, the key to Dom's greatness is his sicilian square pie. Get it plain for your first go, that is imperative. If you must have toppings, I'd say 1-2 is the max you should go for, less is more my friend. Let the simplistic harmony of imported buffalo mozarella + san marzano tomato sauce combine, you'll be asking for a "Difara's Changed My Life" t in no time.

• Imported cheese and tomatoes.

Imported tomatoes? That's a new one.

Anyway, Chicago pizza by a mile. Not even close really, but thats just me.

• Never been to NY, didn't eat deep dish in Chi, but Zachary's[/b] in Berkeley is the best I've had. A Chronicle review claimed it was better than anything you can get in Chicago! Any views on this?

• chan trust me on this one, go dude, when have I ever led you astray. Now, the key to Dom's greatness is his sicilian square pie. Get it plain for your first go, that is imperative. If you must have toppings, I'd say 1-2 is the max you should go for, less is more my friend. Let the simplistic harmony of imported buffalo mozarella + san marzano tomato sauce combine, you'll be asking for a "Difara's Changed My Life" t in no time.

damn. catch me there at 7:30. i'll be one of the few hebrew brothas not at the kosher pizza across the street!

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts

dawg, where's my photo credit?

difara's won, SISSY! try it with a welch's grape or strawberry soda. you'll need lots of napskins too. the past few times i've ended up eating the burnt skin sliding off the roof of my mouth since i can't wait for the pizza to cool down. --- roof of my mowf melting

also gotta shout out the pizza truck in midtown on 51st + park ave. i'ma fan.

and if you got an iPod you can upload a listing of all the notable pizza jump-offs at http://www.sliceny.com while you contribute to the destruction of hip-hop.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Never been to NY, didn't eat deep dish in Chi, but Zachary's[/b] in Berkeley is the best I've had. A Chronicle review claimed it was better than anything you can get in Chicago! Any views on this?

what's up dude! Zachary's is great, don't get me wrong. I used to love it, still hit it up when I have time... but it's *not* real pizza to me anymore. It's *pizza-like-product*...

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    we have to get a pic of dom standing beside that pic in the background w/ his arms on his hip. HAVE TO!

super sexy playboy photographer empanadamn

also gotta shout out the pizza truck in midtown on 51st + park ave. i'ma fan.

yeah word... I was a little underwhelmed, but I had really high expectations. It's a very good slice.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    get your ludwig mies van der rohe appreciation on while chompin at the pizza truck.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    get your ludwig mies van der rohe appreciation on while chompin at the pizza truck.

eww. i'll eat pizza from a truck, but i dont like glass buildings. maybe spaceghost can weigh in on dude?

• Never been to NY, didn't eat deep dish in Chi, but Zachary's[/b] in Berkeley is the best I've had. A Chronicle review claimed it was better than anything you can get in Chicago! Any views on this?

what's up dude! Zachary's is great, don't get me wrong. I used to love it, still hit it up when I have time... but it's *not* real pizza to me anymore. It's *pizza-like-product*...

What up John! They have an imitator in the city now called Little Star, its on Divisidero and Golden Gate. Pizza's okay, but the place is mad yuppish - compelte with hipster juke box and DJ-themed glass paintings. Wow.

• dCastillodCastillo 1,963 Posts
    This is like asking,"Who's a better drummer: Bernard Purdie or Neil Peart?"

True, but only that Chicago pizza is better. (though NY has all the wild cheese ingredients)

It's just too bad we only took you to Leona's and got some over-complicated-8-meat pizza. Poor decision.

A slice of Lou Malnati's pan pizza. Sausage + fresh tomatoes =

Why do pizza places and only pizza places push RC cola??? that stuff will take the paint off your auto vehicle.

What up John! They have an imitator in the city now called Little Star, its on Divisidero and Golden Gate. Pizza's okay, but the place is mad yuppish - compelte with hipster juke box and DJ-themed glass paintings. Wow.

There's also a new spot in Hayes Valley called Patxi's with great deep dish.

Notice I didn't say "great pizza." It's very tasty, but if I'm craving pizza, that's not where I'm headed.

I had both Patxi's and Zachary's last month (neither time was my choice), and I gotta give the edge to Patxi's.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    my people swear by new haven, CT coal fired pizza. but, then, ive never been.

anyways, for the rundown, go here

You have not experienced sectarian violence until you've watched two drunk native New Havenites fight over whether Sally's or Pepe's is better. Both of which stink.

VS[/b]

Never been to NY, didn't eat deep dish in Chi, but Zachary's[/b] in Berkeley is the best I've had. A Chronicle review claimed it was better than anything you can get in Chicago! Any views on this?

There's also a new spot in Hayes Valley called Patxi's with great deep dish.

Notice I didn't say "great pizza." It's very tasty, but if I'm craving pizza, that's not where I'm headed.

I had both Patxi's and Zachary's last month (neither time was my choice), and I gotta give the edge to Patxi's.

wooow, for real? New schitt next time I visit...

• For all you Bay area pizza eaters, what about the Cheese Board? That is the best pizza I've ever had...

For all you Bay area pizza eaters, what about the Cheese Board? That is the best pizza I've ever had...

yeah dude.

• soulwhatsoulwhat 24 Posts
    Why do pizza places and only pizza places push RC cola??? that stuff will take the paint off your auto vehicle.

actually...i did see an isle of RC Cola at a Murray's Auto Shop in the hood on Western and Cermak.

Chicago Style

Perhaps Pep Boys and Auto Zone have these...i just haven't checked it out.

• TSGTSG 274 Posts

actually...i did see an isle of RC Cola at a Murray's Auto Shop in the hood on Western and Cermak.

Chicago Style

hahaha...

malnati's in chicago is classic...i cop deep dish there regularly.

i don't know too much bout ny pizza, although difara's sounds hot and looks good too...but don't judge chicago by the pizza like product that you see with mad ingredients and all that...you have to keep it simple and hit the really ill thin crust spots and places like little sicily.

vito & nick's thin crust with sasssage is what'sup.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    Hey, the pizza truck pizza isnt half bad. Good sauce, not pasty and bitter, fresh and zesty. Crust is light and crispy. MMmm really good sauce.

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    Hey, the pizza truck pizza isnt half bad. Good sauce, not pasty and bitter, fresh and zesty. Crust is light and crispy. MMmm really good sauce.

whoa. i had to quote you cuz i still have you on ignore.

no man, im not mad at no pizza truck. the vendors is the only way i stay "connected to the streets" here in LA. im just not a fan of rohe

• asparagusasparagus Northampton, MA 333 Posts
    I had lombardi's for the first time last week...not as good as grimaldi's but very good. I want to try totonno's...NY pizza is the best.

Totonno's on Neptune ave is supposedly the undisputed best - can anyone confirm?

• Sleeper spot in Park Slope is Lennys on 5th Ave/Prospect

Was in there last night, pizza was a little ehhh -- I've had both good and bad from that place. Signage can't be beat.

• soulwhatsoulwhat 24 Posts

Chicago Style

hahaha...

malnati's in chicago is classic...i cop deep dish there regularly.

i don't know too much bout ny pizza, although difara's sounds hot and looks good too...but don't judge chicago by the pizza like product that you see with mad ingredients and all that...you have to keep it simple and hit the really ill thin crust spots and places like little sicily.

vito & nick's thin crust with sasssage is what'sup.

i had to keep this post going...
    hungry as hell for some vito & nicks thin crust pizzah right about now

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    Chicago style "pizza" isn't even pizza.