& Once again, Chicago or NY Pizza which is best...

IronfeetIronfeet 516 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
Once again, Chicago or NY Pizza which is best or does California Pizza Kitchen kick both arses???? Also Was Lambardi's the actual person to bring pizza to NY or was it the Cook what's his name????That's Right I peeped out that Pizza Wars on the Travel Channel, DOPE a must see for Pizza freaks!!!

Comments

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    difara's (bk) > totonno's (coney island) > grimaldi's (bk) > patsy's (e harlem) > lombardi's

do a search for more info, there have been quite a few threads on this already.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    NY

nice mix, dood
    thanks for the hook up, Norm Hopper is enjoying it too

-M

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    I had lombardi's for the first time last week...not as good as grimaldi's but very good. I want to try totonno's...NY pizza is the best.

• It's all about Spumoni Gardens...real sicilian heads know the deal

• meatyogremeatyogre 2,080 Posts
    Deep Dish is an acquired preference but Chicago runs the deep dish game. We have alot of good Pizza den's and then your typical shithouse bombs away 3 AM drunk slice joints as well. I like "Pi" or whatever its called on North Ave., Gigio's thin shithouse slices on Broadway, and JB Albertos for thick ass yummy slices for cheap, with a can of RC Cola. Lou Malnati's is a good slice. just ask K Fed

• TSGTSG 274 Posts
    Chicago Up! I'll take our Vito & Nick's thin crust against any NY garbo and our deep dish game is thick!

• difara's (bk)

THE undeniable distinct superlative

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    This is like asking,"Who's a better drummer: Bernard Purdie or Neil Peart?"

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    Before we visited NYC I asked some folks where the best pizza in Manhattan was. They came up with some place on 64 (or thereabouts), west of the park, can't remember the name but they had some "We don't do slices" motto.

Their pizza game was weeeeeak. Hence being instantly forgettable.

I reckoned we'd probably get better in an Italian neighbourhood, but time was against us.

We did have a knockout Chinese in Funky Broom; that was a good tip.

• difara's (bk)

THE undeniable distinct superlative

I am saying. Pizza doesn't really exist outside of this spot. I really gotta get down to those CI spots though.

64th & park? WTF kind of pizza recommendation is that? Sheeyit, Lombardis is in Manhattan! for a slice there's Joe's and Rosario's among others, shit even John's on Bleecker for the brick oven sit-down experience.

Next time ask soulstrut first!

• best pizza in New Yor:

Lombardi's best pie
    New Park best slice (Ray's on Prince is a close second when Sally makes the Pizza)

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Arturo's is my favorite spot on the island. It's on Houston about 6 blocks w/ of broadway.

in brooklyn, nobody, i mean NOBODY can fuck w/ Carmines on Graham Ave. Outside of Bayridge, that neighborhood is about as Italian as it gets.

• difara's (bk) > totonno's (coney island) > grimaldi's (bk) > patsy's (e harlem) > lombardi's

do a search for more info, there have been quite a few threads on this already.

Ive said this time and time again. DIFARAS. ive lived near totonnos, spumoni (NASTY shit) and got down at grimaldis, patsys, etc and DIFARAS hands down is the only reason why I would cry if I ever moved from ave.J. And whats all this talk about Joe's pizza on carmine st being the best in NYC. I dont see why this spot gets good reviews? I ate there for the first time last week and shit tasted average at best. Id personally rather have the high school pizza that came on an english muffin. NY public school lunches always

but not to stray off the subject. Difaras is worth the 45 minute to one hour wait. dont even think of going there on weekends. Imported cheese and tomatoes. I know they opened a spot up on Houston st. anyone try this yet?

• I wouldn't say Joe's on Carmine is even in the top 10, it gets penalized for being less good since the move... but it's still a top slice for the west village.

• all of this is to say that Chicago shouldn't even step into this discussion, I mean you see how we get about our pizza out here.

Btw Spumoni garbage? pffffffft!

• I wouldn't say Joe's on Carmine is even in the top 10, it gets penalized for being less good since the move... but it's still a top slice for the west village.

That spot near bleeker bob's is pretty good. but im always tempted to get to mamoo's if im on that block.

BTW Jonny . good lookin on that Fela LP I grabbed from the rack a few weeks ago. probably the only fela I have thats in flawless condition. props!

• always a pleasure bro. now back to this pizza... has anyone hit a spot on 133rd/Amsterdam recently? Across from Manhattanville Houses? That used to be my shit! But I haven't been back there in a few years. Wonder if it's still there...

• all of this is to say that Chicago shouldn't even step into this discussion, I mean you see how we get about our pizza out here.

K, Bit harsh. Though half fun of that spot is just people watching. Im sayin though no toppings on the squares?

K, Bit harsh. Though half fun of that spot is just people watching. Im sayin though no toppings on the squares?

This is a square that needs no topping.

Sleeper spot in Park Slope is Lennys on 5th Ave/Prospect

• good pizza in north carolina...

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Ray's is a close second

Mentioning ol' famous original in any pizza discussion is the definition of
    and extremely , unless you were being sarcastic...

Real heads know Sal and Carmine's, has been consistently voted best slice in NYC. Don't believe me, go read the reviews on the walls, the spot is 2 italian dudes, and it is always one of them making the pies, no delivery, just classic slices. Can be slightly inconsistent, sometimes just really good, sometimes transcendant, but I've yet to find a spot in 25 years in NY with comprable slices. Of course downtown/brooklyn heads will have to troop to 102nd and Broadway.

• Yes that place is on smash and when I was up there on 103rd/Manhattan it was breakfast lunch & dinner some days....

• Ray's is a close second

Real heads know Sal and Carmine's, has been consistently voted best slice in NYC. Don't believe me, go read the reviews on the walls, the spot is 2 italian dudes, and it is always one of them making the pies, no delivery, just classic slices. Can be slightly inconsistent, sometimes just really good, sometimes transcendant, but I've yet to find a spot in 25 years in NY with comprable slices. Of course downtown/brooklyn heads will have to troop to 102nd and Broadway.

Not "original rays" just "rays" which actually is the orignal "rays" but not "original rays" its on Prince and Elizabeth.

• my people swear by new haven, CT coal fired pizza. but, then, ive never been.

anyways, for the rundown, go here

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Once again, Chicago or NY Pizza which is best or does California Pizza Kitchen kick both arses????

Also Was Lambardi's the actual person to bring pizza to NY or was it the Cook what's his name????

That's Right I peeped out that Pizza Wars on the Travel Channel, DOPE a must see for Pizza freaks!!!

I'm in New York this week and I've been eating lots of Pizza, Japanese food and Katz's. Chicago pizza is not really "real" pizza. It it so big and heavy that it is VERY different from real Naples style pizza. I ate at Uno's in Chicago and the slices were just too crazy with too much stuff.
    Lombardi's is the oldest pizzeria in the U.S. I ate there this past Friday. In my opinion, Lombardi's is the BEST place for pizza in New York. Classic New York pizza. Always good.
    Best place for slices is Sal & Carmine's at 2671 Broadway between 101st and 102nd. Some shops have got pizza, but the slices are not as good as a whole pie. The slices usually sit around on the counter a while then are re-heated as ordered. The crust needs to have a different ratio of flour and ingredients to handle the re-heating process and still be good.

• Chan, a conoisseur such as yourself should find their way out to Difara's. Your life will not be the same without it.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Is Difara's really that good? I was in BK Sunday and yesterday as well but did not hit Difara's yet. Paul Nice and I might be rollin' out to BK in about an hour. Maybe we should hit Difara's for some slices. Paychecks, we'll try to come see you at the store today or tomorrow. The hommie Jake Weezey gets into Manhattan tonight so we might all roll through. Gotta meet up with the god Zvi too.

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    or does California Pizza Kitchen kick both arses????

I can't believe no one has said anything about this??? How can you compare CPK pizza with NY pizza or Chicago pizza... I'll admit the Jamaican Jerk (no ayo) pizza is good, but in NO way compares to any other pizza especially NY or Chicago pizza. Shit I've never even been to Chi-town and I know the pizza is ill (plus i'm a fan of mucho toppings and Thick Crust) but NY pizza can't be fronted on...

Get the f*ck outta here with that CPK sh*t!!!

• yeah dude you need that Difara in your life.

• Ray's is a close second

I gotta say a New York food dude like myself has never been to Sal and Carmines. I wonder if I can get to it on my lunch break? How's the wait during mid-day? regular slice ??