how many shops have closed in your city??

Comments

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    is this a testament that untapped supply is becoming more and more scarce by the day?

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Disquevel's Montreal R.I.P.

• is this a testament that untapped supply is becoming more and more scarce by the day?

Not really. The vinyl is out there, and even though certain records have dried up others have become desirable and available if you work hard.

In my experience the local, everyday buyers have dried up - even the successful brick & mortar stores these days need to use the internet to augment walk-in sales.

• Madd Waxx - Durham NC

A store with a name like this shouldn't have been permitted to open in the first place.

Corny name aside, that store was a staple in not only Durham but North Carolina for years. I think 4-4 Records put a dent in their business though, being that they are/were mainly hip-hop retailers.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    is this a testament that untapped supply is becoming more and more scarce by the day?

Not really. The vinyl is out there, and even though certain records have dried up others have become desirable and available if you work hard.

In my experience the local, everyday buyers have dried up - even the successful brick & mortar stores these days need to use the internet to augment walk-in sales.

that makes sense.

• los angeles (last 5 months)- beat market, upon shop, arons, rhino.

there was also a tiny little red store about 5 blocks east of upon shop on the other side of the street. i only made it in there once, it was circa 2001, picked up both hassles records and 'the price you got to pay to be free' for cheap. next time i went back, it was gone. anybody know about it?

i think you're talking about Plastic Fantastic, which is gone. that place definitely had good stuff, but the owner was a pretty deep collector and certain heavy records never hit the floor.

• Funky Riddims

Should we link this thread into the SERATO thread?

• silverlake area doesn't have any record shops left after 'uponshop' closed... as well as the childrens hospital thrift store which just closed too. only place even remotely in that area i can think of is 'sea level' (which will probabaly be closing soon since they blow)... gotta go all the way out to hollywood now to buy sumthin decent... which sucks, because usually if i was going out there i'd wanna go to aron's which is no longer an option... damn amoeba to hell! oh well, i just moved to burbank anyway (used to live 2 blocks away from uponshop) so my diggings been cutoff indefinitely.

• mandrewmandrew 2,720 Posts

los angeles (last 5 months)- beat market, upon shop, arons, rhino.

there was also a tiny little red store about 5 blocks east of upon shop on the other side of the street. i only made it in there once, it was circa 2001, picked up both hassles records and 'the price you got to pay to be free' for cheap. next time i went back, it was gone. anybody know about it?

i think you're talking about Plastic Fantastic, which is gone. that place definitely had good stuff, but the owner was a pretty deep collector and certain heavy records never hit the floor.

yes! thanks for the name. that shop has been like a neglected remnant of my mind's memory

• wasnt 'fantastic plastic' that one store where the 'pirate queen' used to be? which seemed more like walking into a guys bedroom/garage than walking into a store? he'd be there gettin stoned or drunk, made you feel like you walked in on him... and then when you finally picked out your LPs... he wouldnt wanna sell them due to his attachment to them... or was that a different place???

silverlake area doesn't have any record shops left after 'uponshop' closed... as well as the childrens hospital thrift store which just closed too. only place even remotely in that area i can think of is 'sea level' (which will probabaly be closing soon since they blow)... gotta go all the way out to hollywood now to buy sumthin decent... which sucks, because usually if i was going out there i'd wanna go to aron's which is no longer an option... damn amoeba to hell! oh well, i just moved to burbank anyway (used to live 2 blocks away from uponshop) so my diggings been cutoff indefinitely.

where in hollywood, other than amoeba?
    *please don't say as the record turns

• Mooncurser, NYC

word? since when?

• well.. that's what i'm saying.. amoeba's like practically all thats left... i used to go more for aron's... but now there's nothing... i'm not gonna bother going to vinyl fetish & that 'golden oldies' place on hollywood blvd closed too [with the old guy that priced stuff off his dome depending on how black you were]... i need to find some new spots!

• silverlake area doesn't have any record shops left after 'uponshop' closed... as well as the childrens hospital thrift store which just closed too. only place even remotely in that area i can think of is 'sea level' (which will probabaly be closing soon since they blow)... gotta go all the way out to hollywood now to buy sumthin decent... which sucks, because usually if i was going out there i'd wanna go to aron's which is no longer an option... damn amoeba to hell! oh well, i just moved to burbank anyway (used to live 2 blocks away from uponshop) so my diggings been cutoff indefinitely.

where in hollywood, other than amoeba?
    *please don't say as the record turns

wasnt there a shop on franklin? like counterpoint or something like that? its no longer there?

what about eastside records in los feliz. ive actually never been but my homegirl works there. she still does, as far as i know.

counterpoint is the record & book store, yeah?
    that place was cool cuz it was open late and the goth girl that worked there sometimes let you bring your drinks in from la poubelle next door. drinking + digging = unbeatable combo.
    haven't been there in 2 years though.

• counterpoint is the record & book store, yeah?
    that place was cool cuz it was open late and the goth girl that worked there sometimes let you bring your drinks in from la poubelle next door. drinking + digging = unbeatable combo.

damn that was the spot. I definelty got some record for real cheap. I saw Vince Vaughn next door chilling out, looking all yayo'd out (this was way before wedding crashers, like 3-4 years ago).

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    R.I.P. to Soundwaves in Burien and Fall-Out records in Capitol Hill.

• that is one good thing about Memphis, the only stores that close around here are chain record stores....besides the Tower store downtown and this one gross chain store called spin street(both of which are just CD spots except for the occaisonal 12" or import LP), Memphis' record game is still ruled by the mom and pop shops. We have 5 vinyl spots in town that have been open for years and years (shangri-la has been open for 17 years). A local chain that has been around since the 40s, Pop Tunes, has been closing shops down over the years, but they really havent been a good record shop since the mid-80s.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Two have closed here in the last few years....

Store #1 had an owner that actually had a "Not Buying Records" sign that stayed in his window more often than not.....I suggested that he at least look at what people brought in.....(and at one time it was an endless stream)......and cash in on the better buys but he just didn't get it.

Store #2 can be summed up like this...."Dude, I'm pretty sure if you haven't sold a SINGLE copy of that Journey "Escape" lp in the 16 years you've been open................YOU'RE NOT GONNA SELL 23 OF THEM!![/b]

• counterpoint is the record & book store, yeah?

hmm. ive actually never been. but sounds like they got food next door which is a plus.

close to sea level there's 33 1/3 books that sells like 10 records waay overpriced and its next door to echo park film center which i will say that dude is awesome. seriously, good community dude.

of course, 33 1/3 books is not to be cornfused with 33third.com on 5111 pico near la brea!

• The only record store in my town closed about 4 years ago. Unfortunately, I bought records, but I didnt dig when that place was open, I can only imagine what they had. I picked up the His Hero Is Gone - Fifteen Counts Of Arson LP there back when I was 12.

• In Columbus OHIO none have closed in the last 5 years.....well maybe one, World records but it sucked shit anyway...... So no one cares, plus Used Kids moved thier store in on top of it and everyone was happy.

Only thing closing around here are Music Mega-malls like Virgin and Coconuts....

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Portland, OR:

Longhair closed like 15-20 years ago

Crocidile (or Alligator, I can never remember) closed like 10 years ago.

Birdland closed 5-6 years ago.

If anything, record stores are booming in stumptown.

• Two closed (R.I.P. Black Cat and Pulse Records) and one opened (Music Is Everything).

• SF version over last decade:

Revolver: changed to Green Apple and pretty much axed the records down to a small section

Flat Plastic Sound

Persimmons

both the Western Addy tape Spots (Fillmore too)

Bay Area Records And Tapes

Blue Sky/West End

Record Rack

Rough Trade

Reckless

Mobster/Monster Records

The 16th Note

Star Alley

Zebra Records!!!

Bomb

the spot on 9th Ave, 'cause the owner got stabbed in San Diego

Jacks is all but closed, with minimal hours these days which means less walk ins

Mission Records

Record Collector

Tower Records Outlet on 4th

Cue's Hip-Hop Shop

Black Spade (were they ever even open???)

Jinx would readily add Evans House of Music and the 3rd St. spot

not even gonna start on the thrifts/bookstores/curios, too manny to say...some of the 45 spots were so good

I miss Leopold's out of the East Bay, they had some good stock over there.

:

• Montreal record scene is really dying out--I miss Disquivel/ Rock en Stock (any one else used to go to this place on crescent st.?)/ I agree that Cheap Thrills totally blows now/ and as for Mars I had the opportunity to check out their second and final location right by PLace Des Arts and the place was seriously fucked up and filthy--the dude who was running it was like the comic book guy from simpsons too

i live in Vancouver and record stores are drying up here big time:

No more Black Swan, Portland Al's, discount Otis store, Ty's booth at the flea market (i heard he recently died), vinyl cafe...few of places that sell gay ass house records and commercial hip-hop though.

As for toronto-as long as Cosmo's stays open thats all i really care about.

• DWGDWG 334 Posts
    Stores have always come and gone in London... anyone remember Groove on Greek Street or used to buy their hip-hop at Unity on Beak Street?

But, for me, I was kinda sad when Mr. Bongos closed in 2004. The *only* good thing was getting a chance to explore the racks behind the counter the night before they closed for good.
    That store was a staple in London: the first stop for anyone visiting town really. They always supported the indie releases, both US and UK, and carried a lot of exclusive stuff.
    Oh, and there were some great staff: Huw, Tom, Kam, Shazer...

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    -Flip Side (the big one on Victory Drive), Columbus, GA

-Platinum Records-S. Lumpkin Road, Columbus, GA

-Southside Records*-Cusseta Road

*The store is still open but they don't sell vinyl there.

Agent45, do you know why the shut down Flip Side?

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

As for toronto-as long as Cosmo's stays open thats all i really care about.

He's opening up a second location.

• Roger Robridge passed in late 2004. The store soon followed.

I have that framed Shobiz & AG photo that hung in front of your face when seated at the listening station in the back. That place was a beautiful anomaly, crazy location, you'd think neither customers nor records would find thier way up there but van loads came in from the BX... you had to remember to wear your long underwear in the winter though, no heat if buisness was slow.