MODERinVASION (Calling out for Top 10s)

drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
edited February 2006 in Strut Central
OK, I've been bit by the moder bug. A little went off the other day and it started with S.O.S. Band's "The Finest". Then I rediscovered George Clinton's "Computer Games" and now I'm going back through my collection and realizing that I don't have much soul post-early 70s to satisfy me right now. I've been doing the Lou Courtney "In Need of Love" and Rene and Angela "Wall to Wall" thang, but I'd like some other suggestions. I figured I'd also make this an opportnity for the moder posse on here to post their Top 10 Moder LPs (preferably more common than raer) and let it all hang out.I'm looking at Guzzo, Supergood, bapt and anyone else who would like to contribute.

Comments

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    OK, I've been bit by the moder bug. A little went off the other day and it started with S.O.S. Band's "The Finest". Then I rediscovered George Clinton's "Computer Games" and now I'm going back through my collection and realizing that I don't have much soul post-early 70s to satisfy me right now.

I've been doing the Lou Courtney "In Need of Love" and Rene and Angela "Wall to Wall" thang, but I'd like some other suggestions. I figured I'd also make this an opportnity for the moder posse on here to post their Top 10 Moder LPs (preferably more common than raer) and let it all hang out.

I'm looking at Guzzo, Supergood, bapt and anyone else who would like to contribute.

Tyrone Davis "In the Mood" is all you really need.

• I just got the reish of the Timothy Wilson lp. That's a great album.

I also got the Beverly & Duane LP recently which I think is very good too. Many good tracks!

Anita Baker's 1st LP is also a very fine one and easy to get/cheap to pay for.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    cop Greg Perry 'Smokin' on RCA - late 70s, not too hard to find, great stuff( imho).

• cop Greg Perry 'Smokin' on RCA - late 70s, not too hard to find, great stuff( imho).

"One for the Road" is better and easier to catch IMO.

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    There are soo many great ones to investigate...here are 3 off the top of my head:

Carl Carlton's Self Titled LP from 1981 is one of the greatest modern soul/boogie LP's I've ever heard. It's probably the one that really got me hooked on the genre. Should be fairly easy to find.

Shadow's "Shadow In the Streets" (1982) is an essential funky early-80's soul album...produced by Leon Ware. Either easy to find or medium raer, depending on your location, I suppose.

Garry Glenn's "GG" (1980) album is also a favorite of mine...available as a nice sounding, official reissue from the original label (PPL Records).

SG

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    cop Greg Perry 'Smokin' on RCA - late 70s, not too hard to find, great stuff( imho).

maybe this memo escaped your notice: raer = better

also check out Al Hudson / One Way stuff.

---

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    A few I have dug the shit out of:

• cop Greg Perry 'Smokin' on RCA - late 70s, not too hard to find, great stuff( imho).

maybe this memo escaped your notice: raer = better

also check out Al Hudson / One Way stuff.

---

yea...you win.

No for real; i think "One for the road" is much better but I don't think I would call it modern soul.

But "Smokin" must fall into the modern soul catagori.

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    A few I have dug the shit out of:

Can you take this to realheadz?

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Carl Carlton's Self Titled LP from 1981 is one of the greatest modern soul/boogie LP's I've ever heard. It's probably the one that really got me hooked on the genre. Should be fairly easy to find.

Is this the one with gheriboy posing chest-naked on the cover? I picked that up the other week thought of *d*m, laughed and put it back down. Now I gotta go back and try to hunt for it again? Damn, that's been happening to me a lot lately - and the records are always gone when I go back.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

Is this the one with gheriboy posing chest-naked on the cover? I picked that up the other week thought of *d*m, laughed and put it back down. Now I gotta go back and try to hunt for it again? Damn, that's been happening to me a lot lately - and the records are always gone when I go back.

it is indeed. Ive been burnt twice like this going back and getting screwed (once a mystery hold removal ) Ive learned to pull the trigger everytime now good luck

moder from canada

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Shadow's "Shadow In the Streets" (1982) is an essential funky early-80's soul album...produced by Leon Ware. Either easy to find or medium raer, depending on your location, I suppose.

these are both great beginning to end listens that are very affordable. Grab them and you'll be very happy.

Also look for any productions done by Lucas. Mtume. Great upbeat moder stuff with that feel good vibe.

I've been feeling this track lately from B.Baker Choclate Co. on the more soulful tip

http://s5.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=24F2OJUOR2AA82IRN4QO0X8EBR

• Options

it is indeed. Ive been burnt twice like this going back and getting screwed (once a mystery hold removal ) Ive learned to pull the trigger everytime now good luck

moder from canada

I have OG copies of this if anyone is down.

K in Canada.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Go ahead, *d*m, bless us with a Top 10!

• Options

these are both great beginning to end listens that are very affordable. Grab them and you'll be very happy.

Also look for any productions done by Lucas. Mtume. Great upbeat moder stuff with that feel good vibe.

I've been feeling this track lately from B.Baker Choclate Co. on the more soulful tip

http://s5.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=24F2OJUOR2AA82IRN4QO0X8EBR

Haven't listend to it yet, is it "Snowblower"?

K in Canada.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts

I love that track. No one would ever dance to it in Montreal, but I think that's all the more proof that it's hot. Such a perfect cut.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Here's a couple of recently discovered favorites of mine:

McFadden & Whitehead - Best of Me (1982)

Serge Ponsar - Out in the Night (1983)

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    Im not very knowlegable on this area either. Here are a couple I have or have had though....not really sure if they fit in this thread though..You tell me.

Starpoint

LA Connection

Delegation

I do love me some of that Greg Perry.

• Options

I love that track. No one would ever dance to it in Montreal, but I think that's all the more proof that it's hot. Such a perfect cut.

Great LP, too.

K.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Clifford Coulter - Better Part of Me LP is another one that's

• Options

K in Canada.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

moder from canada

I have OG copies of this if anyone is down.

K in Canada.

I bought one and can reccomend it as a good LP.

K**** we needs to get down and talk on other rackords

• No TOP10, but here is a couple of favourites:

medium raer

common

raer

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Haven't listend to it yet, is it "Snowblower"?

K in Canada.
    I forget the name of the track but its not snowblower for sure. Real mellow tune really soulful sounding most defintly not your typical 1979 release.

Kind of reminds me a little of Terry Calliers '79 LP in parts (another recommendation that should cost you under $10)

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts

You can go with:

DeBarge, Tom Brock, Brick, Kleeer, The Jacksons, Lamont Dozier, Gwen McCrae, Pleasure, The Crusaders, Don Blackman, Weldone Irvine, Slave, Mystic Merlin, Thelonious Monk Jr, Side Effect, Ren?? & Angela, Sylvia St James, Mc Fadden, Game, Kano, One Way, Con Funk Shun, Brass Construction, MFSB...

I'll be back with some album names/titles...

• I'm not sure if this would fall under disco or modern soul but COT DAMN! There's this one song (Do it to the music?) is just so damn on-point. Plus the way it builds makes great for deejaying.

• djrdjr 511 Posts

quite like this 45 I bought last weekend at a thrift:

Anyone have the LP?

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

quite like this 45 I bought last weekend at a thrift:

Anyone have the LP?

I sued to rock on his albums as my avatar, I got a few angry/ dissapointed PM's from a few people who thought that meant I recommended the album.

• I'm not sure if this would fall under disco or modern soul but COT DAMN! There's this one song (Do it to the music?) is just so damn on-point. Plus the way it builds makes great for deejaying.

Are you talking about "Music"? That is the cut no doubt! There's a slow jammie on that one I recall liking too "Guess You Didn't Know".

This is dope: