Is Vinyl Dead in the DJing World?

Comments

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    I make my own shit = dildo.
    I have raers and kids need to watch me spin wax cause I am a notable digger super dj = dubplate routines.
    I wanna burn out my originals doing weeklys = still a lot of doods.

me, one crate heat and cutables.
    40 gigs dildo for disposables and shit that I wanna play but don't own.
    = king floss for the doods, or freshly dipped for retarded coke girls in open toes.

Post of the year

I second this nomination.

• JustAliceJustAlice 1,308 Posts
    Been debating with Void about his for weeks.....here is my two cents.

We seen a decline in vinyl production in the early 90's when CDs over took the general market. It kinda bounced back and independent artists still pressed thier ish. I do however think this wave will be more dramatic than that and have a bigger impact. It will change a lot of different aspects of Djing and Vinyl Value. I really think the term " Vinyl DJ" is soon going to be a way to discribe the ways of the past.

I like to look at the whole spectrum on this cuz it has to do with the Vinyl iteself as well as Djing.Thier will always be those that have nothing but love vinyl and remain totally true, but life in America is all about convience. Digital makes it easier plain and simple. No trips to the record store, no heavy stuff to carry around.

Will there will be so many DJs you'll have to try harder to stay on top of the game, or will everyone sound the same? So many DJs no way to get paid? Will DJs just become a breathing jukebox?

''Do you have any young JeezY?''
    "Ahh, no sorry"
    "Whatchu mean? Why dont you just download it right now"
    "a yeah ,ok, that will be 5 dollars please''

Maybe it will become cheaper and easier for Artists to produce thier own wax? Or maybe it will become more expensive because pressing joints will go out of business??? Remember when you went to the Mall to buy the newest shit on wax? Nowadays...Record Stores are specialty shops.

Majors are no doubt pressing less and less, as they did 16 years ago, But I think this time around it will be a done deal on the mainstream tip. Maybe they value of Bootlegs and reissues will finally go up ( strictly Hip Hop)...Ha...ha...j/k

For diggers and producers it will be good because all these DJ's will be dropping thier collections for the next 5 years and there will be a sudden influx in availablity for us sticklers, on the flip side it will be bad for collectors and dealers ( of hip hop) as well because the population of buyers will indefinailty decrease along with sales and demand. I think people will always collect vinyl, I dont think VINYL DJ's will have much work ahead of them.

Right now my hip hop collection could take me out of debt, but that doesnt mean Im about to make the jump.... all though I have thought about it on a few occasions. I cant say that will be the case 5 years from now...knowwwhatImean? I guess a simple YES its dying....would have been just fine. Oh well.

• Speaking of Dildo???...

3) In contrast, Peanut Butter Wolf was doing small tricks like doubling up but what was weird - and Shane aka Sharpshooter - pointed this out to me was that Wolf was flipping back and forth doubles by looking at the laptop screen rather than listening to the records: he wasn't even using his headphones. Now, sure, when you're mixing with WAV files, you can look at the waveform and figure out where tracks start, where the snares are, etc. etc. but in general, it means you're using your eyes and not your ears to DJ and that was weird to watch. I don't know if I'm doing justice to explaining this right but it's like the turntables became an extension of the computer and not the other way around, which is what I think Serato should ultimately be. But when you're going back and forth on two turntables and using a laptop screen to guide you, the whole endeavour just seems hella strange. believe me, from the audience point of view, it was weird to witness.

4) J.Rocc did it up right: he spent most of his time on the tables actually rocking the tables and just turning to his computer when he needed a new song (which was frequently).

One thing I dislike about going to see a respected DJ (i.e. big name DJ) play it seems like everyone forgets to really get down with the music and they generally appear to gawk at the DJ to see if he (or she) twists the record some special mystical way. I think that the audience needs to stop focusing on what the DJ is doing, whether it be rifling through their crates for the next platter or scrolling through their laptop for the next mp3/wav to drop, and just have a ball feeling the music. So please MuthaF$$kas stop watching the DJ and get down on ya good foot.

Secondly I also feel that DJs need to work on their stage presence (me included, my little tea pot routine is growing a little stale) to help invoke that party atmosphere. I believe missbassie and others had discussion a while back about DJs grooving (eg. dancing) while they flip their selections; I really believe it adds to the playing of music (Serato or records) and helps to give off the kind of vibe that a DJ is looking for from the crowd. How does one expect people to feel a vibe if one doesn???t emit that vibe themselves?

In short the DJ needs to step-up their stage game, regardless of whether it???s with Serato or Records, and the audience needs to quit looking and catch the vibe of the funky music (time for muthaf$$kas for do their best George Jefferson or Fred Astaire.)

P.s. J-rocc is a Mutha of a DJ. MAD ILL!!!

In short the DJ needs to step-up their stage game, regardless of whether it???s with Serato or Records, and the audience needs to quit looking and catch the vibe of the funky music (time for muthaf$$kas for do their best George Jefferson or Fred Astaire.)

Hell yeah, You said it!! But I dont think the audience needs to stop paying pay attention to the DJ all together, they dont get enough love as it is.

• I brought out my vinyl to spin on saturday, and the place has the serato built into the dj booth, which was fine by me since i know you can still use records with it.

The problem came when after an hour, the sound totally cut out because the turntables were plugged into the laptop, which had just run out of batteries. The bartender asked if I had any cds to play while he plugged in the laptop and it recharged. I didn't bring any, so he put in some techno mix cd he had behind the bar.
    I did another set later on in the night, but that "recharging incident" was totally frustrating becuase it happened at 11:30, just when things were starting to pop.

That totally sucked. I mean, you don't bring CDS as backup!!! You bring VINYL as backup!!! UUUHHHHHGGGGG!!!! One of the remaining advantages of vinyl is that there is less that can go wrong, or so I thought.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    mainstream 12"s will be extinct in the near future. record companies been wanting to get rid of that shit anyway. they are already being replaced by cd singles and "digital record pools." independent releases will still be pressed on vinyl but as the mainstream record companies press less vinyl, more and more pressing factories will close and eventually it will not be economically feasible for independent artists to press shit.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    At this point, can I just ask a few stupid questions?

1. Is serato a turntable set-up, or is it just the 2 discs and a box that plugs into your mixer and laptop?

2. How much is this thing?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    At this point, can I just ask a few stupid questions?

1. Is serato a turntable set-up, or is it just the 2 discs and a box that plugs into your mixer and laptop?

2. How much is this thing?
    it's an audio interface you plug in between your mixer and laptop. you can use it with standard vinyl turntables or cd turntables. you can get it for around 500 in most places in the US.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Will DJs just become a breathing jukebox?

I worry that we will because that would suck for so very many reasons, and I see it coming over the horizon.

• DJs still need to have taste, knowledge, and skill. They just don't need music pressed on 12" vinyl as much anymore.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

I worry that we will because that would suck for so very many reasons, and I see it coming over the horizon.
    not happening

not happening

Why not?

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    I brought out my vinyl to spin on saturday, and the place has the serato built into the dj booth, which was fine by me since i know you can still use records with it.

The problem came when after an hour, the sound totally cut out because the turntables were plugged into the laptop, which had just run out of batteries. The bartender asked if I had any cds to play while he plugged in the laptop and it recharged. I didn't bring any, so he put in some techno mix cd he had behind the bar.
    I did another set later on in the night, but that "recharging incident" was totally frustrating becuase it happened at 11:30, just when things were starting to pop.

That totally sucked. I mean, you don't bring CDS as backup!!! You bring VINYL as backup!!! UUUHHHHHGGGGG!!!! One of the remaining advantages of vinyl is that there is less that can go wrong, or so I thought.
    steve. that's their fault:

1. because the laptop wasnt plugged in

2. because they did'nt have a power source for serato... $10 at radio shack.

don't let this incident turn you off.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

not happening

Why not?
    Explain why you see it coming over the horizon.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

not happening

Why not?

To a lot of clubgoers that's all DJs are anyway.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

I disagree with this. Dj's just have to be more creative and the digital world will help level the playing field between big dude and lil dude. If you wanna hear that new ______, you gotta hear my exclusive remix of it. If all digital dj's went in with this mindset, we could seriously revolutionize the way music is delivered to the public.

I mean, this goes hand in hand with podcasting, sat radio and the Internet in general.

blah blah blah

not happening

Why not?
    Explain why you see it coming over the horizon.

Because it seems that over time, that's the direction DJing has been heading, intentionally or not. The bar keeps getting lowered in the name of "democratizing music" or "making it more accessible for everybody" and things like that. Things like skills and knowledge are being made incrementally less important all the time as more importance is placed on lowering that bar.

Shit, a common DJ complaint is that crowds already treat the DJ like a jukebox, and now that we're heading to a place where all you need to become a "DJ" is a laptop and the ability to look up and download the latest set list from [insert Big Dude here--no ayyo!] or, even worse and possibly even more likely, the Top 20 chart, I see this becoming more of a problem, not less. Don't DJs also already complain about little dudes taking their gigs by accepting less money and playing the same shit as everybody else, only lamer? Weren't motherfuckers clowning "DJ nights" where fools just bring their iPods and play their 20-minute playlist? I feel like we're encouraging this behavior, not moving away from it.

That said, yes, I understand, the cream always rises to the top, you still have to be able to read a crowd, if there weren't Big Dudes doing Big Dude Things, then the little dudes would have nothing to bite, people like Revolution are really using Serato to push new boundaries etc. etc. etc. And I also understand that this whole post probably comes off as a whole shitload more bitter than I actually am about this whole thing.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    just thought i'd chime in

i just got back from the pressing factory right now actually

repressing an earlier 12" and placed the order for the latest 12".

i own a laptop but do not own serarto

i have packages with brand new hot wax from tiny underground labels poppin into my mailbox on the weekly...

I've got projects lined up on a whole bunch of labels in 06.. they are all 12"s... all wax

----- this 12" over here just came out last week and the label has already gone into repress

sure vinyl may be dying.. yadayada peeps been saying that for the last 15 years now... less mainstream wax = more room for the underground small scale boutique shit to standout in the shops... to me that is a good thing

• I brought out my vinyl to spin on saturday, and the place has the serato built into the dj booth, which was fine by me since i know you can still use records with it.

steve. that's their fault:

1. because the laptop wasnt plugged in

2. because they did'nt have a power source for serato... $10 at radio shack.

don't let this incident turn you off.

Definitely the bartender's fault, not serato. Sad thing is, they did have one of those power sources, but just forgot to plug it in, so it was running on battery.

As I left the place, carrying my lp flight cases on my hand truck and struggling down the steps, he goes, "You need to get serato. I think you're the best candidate I've seen". Whatever. Get a ramp. (jk)

I think I will get it eventually, just because it'd be fun to be able to scratch up 45s without damaging them.

• SLurgSLurg 446 Posts
    Obviously, not every DJ in New York think it's cool to use Serato : Bobbito on Serato

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    stuff
    I feel you on some of those points. I think as far as top 40 clubs go or whatever, the bar will be lowered even more than it already has been. The thing is, random dudes who just got Serato for Christmas or some shit will never replace someone who has been DJing for years and made a name for themselves. More than likely if you have been DJing for a bunch of years, you will have a love for the music. I can only see Serato helping DJs at the top pull even more crazy shit and have everyone play catchup. A lot of things in Serato may seem like crutches but if shit takes away from useless bullshit and lets you work on the crowd more, I can't hate on that.

Summary: Low-end DJing (top 40 clubs and shit) - bar lowered
    Mid to high-end DJing (your own night kind of shit or touring the world as a mashup ambassador) - bar upped way the fuck up

5 years, he said too, at least im not the only one that thinks that.

Mid to high-end DJing (your own night kind of shit or touring the world as a mashup ambassador) - bar upped way the fuck up

This about sums up every you can say about Serato.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    These dildo threads are boring the hell out of me

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    These dildo threads are boring the hell out of me

• Obviously, not every DJ in New York think it's cool to use Serato : Bobbito on Serato

this might be the dumbest shit i have ever heard. please, can someone present a valid argument in support of Bobbito's statement that "serato contributes to the death of hip hop"?

Obviously, not every DJ in New York think it's cool to use Serato : Bobbito on Serato

this might be the dumbest shit i have ever heard. please, can someone present a valid argument in support of Bobbito's statement that "serato contributes to the death of hip hop"?

Primo too?

Does the statement: "I brought you into this world I can take you out" ring any bells.

Create and destroy. Coming full circle.

stuff
    I feel you on some of those points. I think as far as top 40 clubs go or whatever, the bar will be lowered even more than it already has been. The thing is, random dudes who just got Serato for Christmas or some shit will never replace someone who has been DJing for years and made a name for themselves. More than likely if you have been DJing for a bunch of years, you will have a love for the music. I can only see Serato helping DJs at the top pull even more crazy shit and have everyone play catchup. A lot of things in Serato may seem like crutches but if shit takes away from useless bullshit and lets you work on the crowd more, I can't hate on that.

Word, I think this is all a good way of looking at it, too.

• SLurgSLurg 446 Posts

It's pretty clear to me.

Vinyl is hip hop's medium of choice. If DJs stop buying 12", labels will stop manufacturing them.

How will you break a new act ? I can't think of any hip hop artist who didn't start with a 12".