The Greatest Dunk Artist I Ever Saw(BBall Related)

2»

Comments

• Not for style, but pure power you get Barkely in his prime:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLGRQmXT2MY&search=barkley

whoa. i forgot how great of an athlete barkley was....he could get up there.

• My fab five (in no particular order)???

MJ
    Vince Carter
    David Thompson (the 76??? dunk contest was ill)
    Dr. J
    Nique

Some cats that need to be mentioned though..

Artis Gilmore
    George Gervin
    Harold Minor
    Larry Kenon
    Jason Richardson
    Larry Nance
    And yes???even Kenny ???Sky??? Walker was nice with his.

• On a related note..

What do ya'll think of the And1 kids?

I saw Rafer Alston down at Jefferson when the And1 tour hit Portland a few years back and thought he was pretty ill. He can play a mix of fundamental ball and gimmick ball......which is rare for these streetballers.

You think any of these kids can make it in the NBA?

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    woah, he's pretty up there. i know Tom Chambers was a pretty tall dude, but those dudes look like kids!

His head is level with the rim! That is some crazy shit right there.

You think any of these [And1] kids can make it in the NBA?

Nope. I mean, a couple might pick up with a team here and there, but until they ditch the streetball bullshit for actual basketball, they don't have a chance to be much more than a nice little garbage-time diversion.

• I love when they show the Knick fan in the stands who kept his team colors hidden under his sweatshirt, then after Nate's dunk he starts flashing it like crazy; so perfectly epitomizes how embarrassed their fans are from this disastrous season.

• nique/jordan/dawkins/carter (for some new school love, dude has so much flavor). i think overall nique is the most underrated dunker (maybe player) of all the superstars.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Does anybody know if the old dunk contests are on DVD? And if so, where can I get em? Thanks in advance...

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

Some cats that need to be mentioned though..

Artis Gilmore
    George Gervin
    Harold Minor
    Larry Kenon
    Jason Richardson
    Larry Nance
    And yes???even Kenny ???Sky??? Walker was nice with his.

Gotta cosign and add one....Darnell Hillman!!

• AI2:[/b]

A few more years and he's gonna be seen as one of the best dunkers ever IMO (yeah, I'm biased for my Philly cats, but Iggy is the real deal). All-star weekend showed the world that this dude can be a major player in the league. That's if AI1 lets him shine, anyway... that pass off the backboard in the dunk contest was probably the first time all year Iverson passed the ball to Iguodala (or anybody else, for that matter). j/k, j/k.

• Those Gilmore/Hillman match ups were

I'm glad to see cats paying respects to the ABA players. I feel those guys never got their just dues........they're definately the untold truth.

Rockadelic, You know your history man. Glad to see somebody dropping knowledge. The other Basketball thread was kinda grimm.

• His head is level with the rim!

DUDE!

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    I don't know if this has been posted yet or not, but godDAMN!!!

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I love how dude goes after the ball and then gets housed.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Harold Miner was crap. He had no J and only lasted a few season in the NBA. Winning the dunk contest was the greatest accomplishment of his career, which isn't saying much.

On Igudola. He's got great skills but hasn't learned to use all of them. It seems his biggest draw back is an inconsistent jumper. Sixers could really use his 3rd scoring threat behind AI and Webber, but he doesn't always provide it.

• Harold Miner was crap. He had no J and only lasted a few season in the NBA. Winning the dunk contest was the greatest accomplishment of his career, which isn't saying much.

On Igudola. He's got great skills but hasn't learned to use all of them. It seems his biggest draw back is an inconsistent jumper. Sixers could really use his 3rd scoring threat behind AI and Webber, but he doesn't always provide it.

He has a jumper... you saw how he was droppin' 3's in the sophomore / rookie game. He just doesn't get enough touches with the Sixers to get into the flow and show what he really can do. Part of that may be a lack of aggressiveness, but I think that's because he doesn't want to overstep his bounds on AI's (and Webber's) team. I'll be really surprised if when he gets a chance to step out of Iverson's shadow he doesn't establish himself as a certified star. Dude can lock fools down on D, too (although I don't know if he's really showing that this year... the Sixers have got to be the worst defensive team in the NBA right now).

• Minor was a shitty NBA player. No jump shot and no D.

His dunks were ill as fuck though. Anybody that grew up in or around the Inglewood area knows that Harold Minor was the truth. The legend is he had a 49 inch vertical in High School!?!?

His days at USC speak for themself.

No 'Baby J'.....not by a long shot. Goes to show you all the playground respect and college hype doesnt equal NBA stardom.

Kid could dunk though.....and needs to be mentioned.

• good baseline sponsor on that last clip.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Harold Miner was crap. He had no J and only lasted a few season in the NBA. Winning the dunk contest was the greatest accomplishment of his career, which isn't saying much.

He has a jumper... you saw how he was droppin' 3's in the sophomore / rookie game. He just doesn't get enough touches with the Sixers to get into the flow and show what he really can do. Part of that may be a lack of aggressiveness, but I think that's because he doesn't want to overstep his bounds on AI's (and Webber's) team. I'll be really surprised if when he gets a chance to step out of Iverson's shadow he doesn't establish himself as a certified star. Dude can lock fools down on D, too (although I don't know if he's really showing that this year... the Sixers have got to be the worst defensive team in the NBA right now).

You know I heard that he was working hard on his jumper, but he doesn't seem to use it enough in Sixers games.

Like you pointed out, it's really hard to evaulate anyone that's been a Sixer in recent years because of Iverson. You can never tell whether they're any good half the time because they don't get enough touches or because they're just not that good.

• ORLANDO WOOLRIDGE POST COCAINE NOSTRIL FLARE LAKERS NUMBER 0.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I don't know if this has been posted yet or not, but godDAMN!!!

gotta love Duke Tango "tha hellicoptaaaaa, OH BABY!"

• Now I've always been a Ewing fan, so I don't love this one on principle, but goddamn. Anybody remember this one?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Straight outta Bay City, LaBradford Smith:

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    waddup with ronnie fields some of his dunks are but his career is

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    ORLANDO WOOLRIDGE POST COCAINE NOSTRIL FLARE LAKERS NUMBER 0.

Hahahahaha! Chris Gatling and Brian Williams/Bison Dele (RIP) were also good for serving up at least one nasty-ass dunk on the melon of some poor fool per game. They may not have scored much, but when they did, it tended to involve posterizing somebody.

But Pippen over Ewing is some straight up Snoop Dogg "with my nuts on your tonsils" shit. One of the nastiest I've seen with my own two eyes. Kevin Johnson baseline over Olajuwon was pretty nasty, too, especially considering KJ is all of 6'1" and Olajuwon was pretty much locking the paint down at the time.