Ghostface don't respect the local black experience

Comments

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    It's just party music, plain and simple.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    yes, but I still enjoy dude busting the "SHOE WIPE" in every video he's in.

"old school people pat ya feet"

Connect yourself to my local southern Black experience. You too, Day.

Cashless, I've got a lot of respect for you, and I agree with alot of what you have to say, but honestly, I just think that particular group sounds like a bunch of retarted dudes got hold of a speak and spell and made "Whoomp There It Is 2005". It has ZERO to do with your local Black experience. It has EVERYTHING to do with their music being corny. Cats can't even stay on beat with their raps! If co-signing this shit means "keeping it real", I guess I'm a fake ass dude then.
    I know these dudes don't represent The South with this candy stuff!

You read too much into it. Day, you know how it is. Everything has it's place. If you woulda see the reaction to Laffy Taffy/Betcha can't do it like me/Lean wit it, rock wit it at any of the local Black clubs here, you might get a different perspective of it. Snap music is a lot like bounce music, in that it serves one purpose, regardless of wackness. The dopeness of these tracks is the reaction that they spur in a party setting and what people want out of these songs when they listen to them outside of the club setting is the feeling that they had in the club when they rocked out to it the weekend before.

It's just party music, plain and simple. What I meant about my local southern Black experience is that I'm not sure that outside of Black clubs in the south that the reaction is the same.

At least with Laffy Taffy it is, it's gone way past being any kind of regional hit, and actually at this point may be more Pop than anything else.

You think I don't know that? What I'm saying is that the context is TOTALLY different in Black clubs in the south, where cultural aspects come into play, than anywhere else.

I doubt that very many of the cats on here talking about how wack Laffy Taffy or any Snap shit is have every seen it in it's proper context. They very well might be associating the "wackness" of these tracks with the "wack" reaction that their local establishment provide to these cuts.

If you've ever seen an entire[/b] club move side to side and yell out "HAAAAY" on EVERY 3rd count at the top of their lungs for 20 minutes while these songs are playing it might change your opinion of the songs' significance (but probably not it's artistic merit).

• Your best work yet.

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts

You think I don't know that? What I'm saying is that the context is TOTALLY different in Black clubs in the south, where cultural aspects come into play, than anywhere else.

I doubt that very many of the cats on here talking about how wack Laffy Taffy or any Snap shit is have every seen it in it's proper context. They very well might be associating the "wackness" of these tracks with the "wack" reaction that their local establishment provide to these cuts.

If you've ever seen an entire[/b] club move side to side and yell out "HAAAAY" on EVERY 3rd count at the top of their lungs for 20 minutes while these songs are playing it might change your opinion of the songs' significance (but probably not it's artistic merit).

god, i miss djing in the south.

NY just ain't even close to the same vibe/reaction, etc.

• Your best work yet.

Naw, man... I can't take credit for any of the graemlins I use. I've never made a graemlin in my life. All it is really is is that

• dayday 9,611 Posts

I should have metioned I was talking about the song itself, not thinking about it in any other context like the crubb etc.
    More like, if a friend played you that shit, would you be like "that's THAT SCHITT!"? I doubt it.

If you've ever seen an entire[/b] club move sid eto side and yell out "HAAAAY" on EVERY 3rd count at the top of their lungs for 20 minutes while these songs are playing it might change your opinion of the songs' significance (but probably not it's artistic merit).

But, talking about it in the crubb and how folks react around your way, I can completely see what you're talking about.

I still think those dudes are corny, though

NY just ain't even close to the same vibe/reaction, etc.

speaking about reaction...

This shit still has folls jumping. Ironically, it's a song about not dancing.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Cashless, I've got a lot of respect for you, and I agree with alot of what you have to say, but honestly, I just think that particular group sounds like a bunch of retarted dudes got hold of a speak and spell and made "Whoomp There It Is 2005". It has ZERO to do with your local Black experience. It has EVERYTHING to do with their music being corny. Cats can't even stay on beat with their raps! If co-signing this shit means "keeping it real", I guess I'm a fake ass dude then.

You read too much into it. Day, you know how it is. Everything has it's place. If you woulda see the reaction to Laffy Taffy/Betcha can't do it like me/Lean wit it, rock wit it at any of the local Black clubs here, you might get a different perspective of it. Snap music is a lot like bounce music, in that it serves one purpose, regardless of wackness. The dopeness of these tracks is the reaction that they spur in a party setting and what people want out of these songs when they listen to them outside of the club setting is the feeling that they had in the club when they rocked out to it the weekend before.

It's just party music, plain and simple. What I meant about my local southern Black experience is that I'm not sure that outside of Black clubs in the south that the reaction is the same.

At least with Laffy Taffy it is, it's gone way past being any kind of regional hit, and actually at this point may be more Pop than anything else.

Couldn't Archaic say the same thing about project blowed @ the goodlife?

OH JESUS CHRIST, NOT THIS AGAIN.

ITS LIKE YOUR LEAST FAVORITE RECORD SKIPPING AND YOU CAN'T REACH THE TONEARM TO MAKE IT STOOOOOP.

Nah, they wouldn't ever dance there (or anywhere for that matter to PB) and Archaic would never admit that PB is not the greatest look. Is there a non-subcultural context to PB? I don't think so. Whereas, with Black southern club culture, that shit goes back decades. "old school people pat ya feet".

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Nah, they wouldn't ever dance there (or anywhere for that matter to PB) and Archaic would never admit that PB is not the greatest look. Is there a non-subcultural context to PB? I don't think so. Whereas, with Black southern club culture, that shit goes back decades. "old school people pat ya feet".

This is a really good answer. Thanks. [no sarcasm]

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts

Clashless, working on a curtis remix, doggie.

will send when i'm done.

Clashless, working on a curtis remix, doggie.

will send when i'm done.

PLEASE SEND!!! That sounds

I will forward you Bun B & Slim Thug X Nerd X Zero 7 - Money Provider (re-remix)
    and as a bonuts, you get...

Bun B X Bjork - Army of Kings (remix)

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

I would have to say that you are ignoring PB's ties to the old Central Avenue jazz jams by way of PB contributors including Horace Tapscott and Billy Higgins.

Maybe group dancing isn't necessarily the thing in LA when it comes to these localized traditions, but bebop eventually segued into free jazz, which morphed into spiritual poetry ala the Watts Prophets, which eventually found its footing again with Good Life Cafe rap.

Many PB-ers are extremely conscious of this lineage and feel that they are building upon a communal legacy.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

I would have to say that you are ignoring PB's ties to the old Central Avenue jazz jams by way of PB contributors including Horace Tapscott and Billy Higgins.

LOL... I almost just did a parody post invoking Horace Tapscott, but decided that it wasn't worth the trouble.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    OH JESUS CHRIST, NOT THIS AGAIN.

ITS LIKE YOUR LEAST FAVORITE RECORD SKIPPING AND YOU CAN'T REACH THE TONEARM TO MAKE IT STOOOOOP.

Yeah seriously. I love d4l, but even i know its fuckin corny

lol at "the proper context"!

• In the proper context Garth Brooks musta been slammin'!

• In the proper context Garth Brooks musta been slammin'!

Why do you doubt this? Clearly, you have never heard Shig sing "Friends In Low Places."

That song almost makes me wish I were a country DJ (quadruple ) just so I could drop it and watch the place go apeshit.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

LOL... I almost just did a parody post invoking Horace Tapscott, but decided that it wasn't worth the trouble.

I don't get it, so people give credibility to D4L cause its current and in the clubs but clown PB cause its from a region you're not familiar with and therefore easier to not identify with?

Does this mean that LA peoples know nothing about music because we've had Project blowed for well over a decade and dudes in NY can't wrap their head around it?

give me a fucking break!

I odn't like Project blowed that much but can respect it as a local scene. Why is it any differnt to frame it the same way you frame Laffy Taffy and co.?

• jdeezjdeez 638 Posts

I don't get it,

something tells me you never will.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    you never will.

it's fun to take quotes out of context ain't it?

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    Ghost needs to do a video for the song with Ne yo,to capitalize off the hype surrounding this new r&b phenom.

• They played that and the Pete Rock joint on the radio on the way back from my accountant. I was stoked

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Ghost needs to do a video for the song with Ne yo,to capitalize off the hype surrounding this new r&b phenom.

wait Ne-yo did a remix with Ghost? I heard one with LL, is there another?

back from my accountant. I was stoked!!!

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    there's a track with ne-yo on the new ghost album. its his current single

wait Ne-yo did a remix with Ghost?

I dont know i was talking about the Ghost song featuring him "back like that" or whatever its called.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

ahh, ok. Now I'm all caught up.

By the way am I suspect for liking both Ne-yo and Chris Brown?

ahh, ok. Now I'm all caught up.

Cashless is more "qualified" on the subject .

No, unless you add to that list T-Pain's "I'm in love with a stripper"**

**Greatest urban country & western song since Tow Down's Country Rap Tune Feat. Hawk.